Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Turning the Page: Weather 2.0

Since the last Weather thread coincided with a distinct period of suck, I am turning the page and starting a new weather thread. Please take discussion of racing, rumored sales to Intrawest, and UFOs to their intended threads.

With that, I just clicked on the MRG weather page and noted a distinct reversal of the temp profile just in the last hour or two with a spike in the winds. After rising steadily through the morning, the temp peaked at the base of MRG at 40 plus degrees before falling back to 38 in the last hour or so. My sense is that the front is coming through. Eyewitness reports of snow falling in Rochester as of about 10-11AM this morning, so the cold air is coming our way.

Yup, windy, starting to cool off alittle at my house but see alot of blue sky at the moment, that probably will change. Not much precipitation, tho tonight is best chance of something decent, is seen for the next 5 days...maybe they are wrong, hope so.

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Intrawest has a great racing program where you compete against UFO's to see who can create the worst weather.
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Yup, windy, starting to cool off alittle at my house but see alot of blue sky at the moment, that probably will change. Not much precipitation, tho tonight is best chance of something decent, is seen for the next 5 days...maybe they are wrong, hope so.

Wind sock still indicating a strong wind from the south. Ugh.

Let me say this about the weather:
    you don't have 65 degree temps in Vermont in January without paying for it down the road.

So on Sat, before I suited up in shorts and took the 'Cruiser for a spin to the Berlin (S)Mall, I performed a sacrafice to Ullr - I'm bald again and if my ritual holds true, it'll dump soon. Even the gods of GCT (H/M/M) are exposed and are gonna give us some of what we desire. And soon! I've got friends in the flatlands who are itchin to ride, and a bro who's flying in from NYC at the end of the month to tear it up.

It's gonna get cold and STAY COLD FOR A WHILE, I assure everyone. It better!

-Jay

I really really hope it works!!!
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    Let me say this about the weather:
    you don't have 65 degree temps in Vermont in January without paying for it down the road.

So on Sat, before I suited up in shorts and took the 'Cruiser for a spin to the Berlin (S)Mall, I performed a sacrafice to Ullr - I'm bald again and if my ritual holds true, it'll dump soon. Even the gods of GCT (H/M/M) are exposed and are gonna give us some of what we desire. And soon! I've got friends in the flatlands who are itchin to ride, and a bro who's flying in from NYC at the end of the month to tear it up.

It's gonna get cold and STAY COLD FOR A WHILE, I assure everyone. It better!

-Jay
    Maybe you should get another tattoo?

Can't hurt... well except your skin... Haha...

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Ultimate sacrifice

I am willing, for the collective good, to be your sacrificial offering. Put me on skis. Just let me get my affairs in order.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

BURN HER!!!!! uh... I mean put her on skis!

Just let her get her affairs in order... and let me get my batteries charged for my video camera.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Somebody's been watching.....

"Wicker Man" way too many times (the original, not the recent Hollywood disaster).

Chill back on Wicker, and up your dosage of "Sound of Music", you pagan ritualists !

What the heck does all this have to do with weather, o wait, its not dumping Pow so who gives a crap. Untill we have some dumpage to discuss, for now Ufo's from Interwest, and forcing NoSki to Ski, (or snowboard ), is a hell of alot more fun.

We should also keep on discussing the various pagan rituals that may lead to some dumpage, as we need some major dumpage, so that we can't get to the mountain because the roads all have 5 feet of snow on them. Except for Freeheel skier, who will just free-heel his way to the hill, and have all 5 feet of fresh pow to himself.

My Pastor tells me that if I pray to Ullr, that I will go to hell, but I don't care because I will do anything for a Pow Day, including sell my self to the devil

Anyway with Global warming, we will all supposedly be in hell in a few years anyway. (Again just joking arround, I Hope )

And, I saw this strage UFO floating arround in the sky last night, had lots of bright lights, and a big Interwest Sticker on the side, Did I mention, The UFO abducted me, and they poked and prodded me, and did some experiments. In addition, Win was onboard (explains where he has been the last few days) negotiating a contract to Sell Sugarbush.

(Once Again, I am not serious, and if you think I am, well screw you )

I hope I havent taken this to much farther off topic.....

Re: Somebody's been watching.....

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    "Wicker Man" way too many times (the original, not the recent Hollywood disaster).

Chill back on Wicker, and up your dosage of "Sound of Music", you pagan ritualists !
    Wait till you hear me heading downhill......
    "...The hills are aliiiiiiive, with Noski's screeeeeeaminggg...." I request the presence of sled hauling mechanic at this ritual. Somebody pm him.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Go figure dept. - I have a friend whose parents live in New Zealand. Here's what she just emailed me:

"I spoke to my parents in New Zealand on the weekend and they're still waiting for summer. It was the coldest December in 80 years in Wellington, all the Xmas campers were freezing and it' s still too cold to sit out on the deck without a fleece after 6pm. Apparently they've been told it won't get warm until February."

As an aside - never discuss hemispherical weather patterns with grocery store clerks. Tonight one asked me if it was getting colder outside, to which I answered no of course. A conversation about the wacky winter ensued and I related the above about New Zealand experiencing cold weather in December and January - and the clerk responded "yeah I know, it's cold and snowy in New Mexico too" to which I responded "but it is supposed to be WARM in New Zealand right now" and she said "well, that's because they are so far south".

Note - She's right in a way, but I don't think the full understanding was there.
    Altitude is Everything

Re: Somebody's been watching.....

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by smootharc

Wait till you hear me heading downhill......
    "...The hills are aliiiiiiive, with Noski's screeeeeeaminggg...." I request the presence of sled hauling mechanic at this ritual. Somebody pm him.
    We'll put a bungee on ya - much easier to retrieve the body that way...and entertaining for the kidz!
    Altitude is Everything

Wow, currently snowing very hard, medium size flakes, right now. Probably will stop in 5 minutes and the sun will come out.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.