Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sorry for the poor resolution but apparently our area is not important enough to rate HR from Google Earth

I don't know Lostone...you seemed pretty macho to me the other day when you were running the parking lot at LP.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Looks pretty damn good in World Wind though...

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Terrain Development and Expansion

My vote for ME expansion - especially for steeps - is to run a lift from half/three quarters of the way down Lower FIS to skiers right of the summit quad. This would provide huge vert and the steepest terrian on the mountain. Up top, the lift line would be longer and steeper than Black diamond. The lower section - the FIS "Bowl" - could have numerous runs down mountain from a line that would be the continuation of Rim Run (after it passes the intersection with Black Diamond, and then turns skiers left, a trail could continue straight out and trails could fall off to skiers left into the "bowl"). I sould suggest most of this terrian be be narrow or even just chutes through the trees. The only "trail" I'd suggest would be the liftline. Everything else would be trees/chutes. One aspect of this plan is it doesn't expand the "footprint" of ME too much - unlike the terrian above Inverness. And its high elevation and steep. And did I mention its steep?

The one problem with your plan is that, as seen in the map below from www.sugarbushhistory.com, is that the top half of the lift/terrain would be on USFS land. Good luck getting that approved. In essence, a lift from where Lower FIS flattens out to the Glen house would accomplish the same goal while staying entirely on private land and not overloading the Summit area with to many people. Regardless, this is pure fantasy until the real estate gets sold and ME gets the skier visits to justify serious terrain expansion. Even then, I think upper Inverness (all on private land) is the first priority. And for the record, upper Inverness is pretty high elevation, running from 2550' up to 3650'. That's higher than the summit of Stark Mtn at MRG next door. The only two lifts with a higher base station at SB would be Summit and possibly Heaven's Gate.

Anybody know where that extension of Lower FIS (past the cutoff back to ME base) used to go?
    Altitude is Everything

There used to be a timing shack down there on the right. Might of had something to do with the length of an FIS downhill corse.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy
    There used to be a timing shack down there on the right. Might of had something to do with the length of an FIS downhill corse.
    Yep... the shack's still down there, it just requires a bit of a hike now... trail is VERY grown in with saplings and stuff, but if you drive up to the top of the Village Rd there it's not that hard to find...

Short hike from the top of the Village Rd. I've lived here in the Glen Ellen Village since 1983. Untill recently the Village was stuck in a time warp. We still have a few original Glen Ellen skiers(owners) up here.

Yeah....drooly image indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Looks pretty damn good in World Wind though...

While we're at it....how about a naming contest for...

the "hopefully forthcoming very shortly" terrain pod above Inverness ? Anyone ?

Feel free to name the chair/area, and also the, let's say, four trails coming down off it.

P.S. This absurd post is only for those who've got absolutely nothing productive to accomplish at the moment. The rest of you get back to cooking dinner, giving your significant others foot massages, or organizing your attics !

You forgot antiquing!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Re: While we're at it....how about a naming contest for...

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    the "hopefully forthcoming very shortly" terrain pod above Inverness ? Anyone ?

Feel free to name the chair/area, and also the, let's say, four trails coming down off it.

P.S. This absurd post is only for those who've got absolutely nothing productive to accomplish at the moment. The rest of you get back to cooking dinner, giving your significant others foot massages, or organizing your attics !
    I think some sort of connection to the Monroe Skyline would be cool... call it the Monroe Bowl/Chair...
    As for productivity, well yes I should be doing homework, but oh well...

trail expansion

looks like both those areas suggested for dream expansion, and I do mean dream, are facing too much to the east and south, much like North Lynx. . . . .and we know how much snow that holds in direct sun. Only way to get the snow to hold above Inverness or lower FIS bowl is Castlerock-type trails, winding and narrow, just like the ones they don't build anymore. . . . . . . . . . . tree skiing is far more likely. . . w/o the lift part, in the near future. . .as a matter of fact, next time you are able to head to OInverness from the High Traverse and we have a base, you will see quite a bit of tracking from those of us who climb to earn our turns. . . . . . . . . . . . need snow, not expansion!

Re: trail expansion

Quote Originally Posted by jwt
    looks like both those areas suggested for dream expansion, and I do mean dream, are facing too much to the east and south, much like North Lynx. . . . .and we know how much snow that holds in direct sun. Only way to get the snow to hold above Inverness or lower FIS bowl is Castlerock-type trails, winding and narrow, just like the ones they don't build anymore. . . . . . . . . . . tree skiing is far more likely. . . w/o the lift part, in the near future. . .as a matter of fact, next time you are able to head to OInverness from the High Traverse and we have a base, you will see quite a bit of tracking from those of us who climb to earn our turns. . . . . . . . . . . . need snow, not expansion!
    True, but the North Lynx runs are particularly wide and exposed to sun and wind, no? I think there's a happy medium where you can cut a pod containing trails wide/straight enough to support snowmaking butremaining narrow enough to hold snow. I would tend to doubt all those trails would have snowmaking anyway, and could therefore be free to be as narrow and curvy as Win would want. Also, remember that this will be a high elevation lift - from 2550' up to 3650'. If done right, it could be open far more often than NL.

And you'll still be able to hike for your good turns down to the High Traverse, you'll just be able to start from both ends.

Lower FIS bowl is a little more easterly oriented, so I don't agree there.

Regardless, as you point out, this is mostly just fantasy and won't likely see the light of day in our skiing lifetimes (if you're over the age of 35).