Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WEATHER

Hey noski...it only took me an hour to write the above post!

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    You didn't get this from Roemer did you?
    It screams Roemer. Same thing I thought....
    I certainly hope not!

I usually go by this guy....

http://vtlink.net/users/wxman/weathe...ghts/index.asp
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

I was thinking that was a Josh Fox forecast...and indeed it is.

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

I like the positive forecast. He throws in a "negative" possibility clause. I hope the positive is right. Most other weather forecasts won't say how much snow and when.

WISHCAST!

I wish! I hope......

But the 1-2 feet seems too much, I'm calling 6"-1'.......

Now, pray for a coastal event, now that some cold is coming......Hell pray for anything!

Dear (insert name of your preferred Almighty One)...

...hear our prayer. PLEASE.

Over & out.

No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Scott Braaten gives a great summary of the expected change in weather at ...
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/ind...ticle&sid=1260

This is his best post of the year on so many levels.

I like that winter forecast! Lets just the pattern changes he is referring to take place

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    I like that winter forecast! Lets just the pattern changes he is referring to take place
    That's what happens when you leave out the "hope"!
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by tymoguls
    Scott Braaten gives a great summary of the expected change in weather at ...
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com/ind...ticle&sid=1260

This is his best post of the year on so many levels.
    I hate to rain on your parade but this guy is no diferent than the rest. Just a bunch of what ifs and maybes with alot of text and pretty maps to back up his particular take on what MIGHT happen in the next 3 weeks. None of them can accurately forecast more than a couple of days forward. The more days ahead you look the probability of their particular scenario playing out decreases. I love his statement about the possibility of the " western weather" faucet of snow " shutting off". Sure it's possible but should you count on it happening, I don't,...but do I know it's possible, I sure do.

According to Roger Hill, he reports from his house a few miles north of here, at the moment, this extreme weather anomally should be over here in the wee hours of tonight and when we wake up the higher elevation might even get alittle snow. We know that the Bush is hoping to start making snow tonight if the temps go down enough. Looks like the Bush can make some snow and maybe we can get some of the real stuff too in the next week. Things are definately looking up. IMHO the skiing has only been crappy yesterday and today. I believe that on Thursday we still had 73 trails open.

BTW, The Bush also took care of the Ski Bum race on Thursday by moving it to ME and my buddy Bob said it worked out great them.

Our friends to the south, MA, CT, RI, PA, NJ now they are having real problems getting things going. They had one resort operator from Powder Ridge, CT on Nightline last night and he said they were not opening this season and he made the decision back in Novermber. I feel alot of empathy for those resorts and feel we are sitting pretty good, considering.

If that Braaten guy is right, wouldn't that be sweet , than we should be looking at some decent snow is a couple of days, regarding the prediction of 1'-2', I wouldn't break out the snorkels just yet. Conversly, one of the huge dumps we got in March of 2001 was basically setting up like this and the weather is definately more like March than the beginning of January so back to my original point, who knows!.... but I'll gladly take whatever we get.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    Ahhh....I did that on purpose....not.

BTW, The Bush also took care of the Ski Bum race on Thursday by moving it to ME and my buddy Bob said it worked out great them.
    Would have been nice if they had made the same effort for the USASA GS/SL we were supposed to have today.

Elbow is open and the SB website says "There's even be some sun breaking through so given the soft and easy turning snow, minimal crowds, and 14 miles of open terrain this afternoon's really not a bad time to come up and do a half day."

Thanks for the effort SB!
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Ahhh....I did that on purpose....not.
    I've lost my hope, maybe you can find it!
    Altitude is Everything

Would have been nice if they had made the same effort for the USASA GS/SL we were supposed to have today.

Elbow is open and the SB website says "There's even be some sun breaking through so given the soft and easy turning snow, minimal crowds, and 14 miles of open terrain this afternoon's really not a bad time to come up and do a half day."

IMHO, they did what they could. The trail count had to be cut in half due to the weather. Closing another trail, even for a race (especially in this weather) wasn't really a reasonable option. Just my opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster

IMHO, they did what they could. The trail count had to be cut in half due to the weather. Closing another trail, even for a race (especially in this weather) wasn't really a reasonable option. Just my opinion, though.
    EVERY other mountain in the Northeast, including the Catskills, tried their best to run their races this weekend, and waited until the last second if they were FORCED to cancel - and NONE of them that I am referring to have even CLOSE to the open terrain we do. SB called these races off on Monday - they didn't even TRY!
    Altitude is Everything