Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just use your BS skis - you'll be fine (Bull Slalom).

What's the "MRG effect"??

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    Mad River Glen effect - the anti-snowboard people around here. It's amazing what I hear on a daily basis...it's like stepping back in time 15 years. I was on the lift at ME last week with a mother and her son, with my alpine board on, and I said "Nice day huh?". To which she replied, "yeah, except for the snowboarders". I s*** you not man. I didn't know what to say - I mean - it's like saying "I hate people who work in restaurants" when the waitress/waiter is at your table. So I asked her what specifically was the problem. Her answer: "We usually ski at Mad River, I just don't like them...the general intelligence level is just missing". Again, I promise you, I am NOT making this up. And her little kid is sitting RIGHT THERE between us! I was going to try to reason with here - and point out the item attached to my feet - but I figured it wasn't worth it and just kept silent the rest of the way up.

I figure maybe she's the woman on the local MRG ad that says "we never go any place else"...which would explain a lot, and I feel sorry for her in that sense with all the great mountains available in the world.

Earlier this year, before MRG opened, I was also at ME when I overheard the following in the liftline. This guy skis up to his wife/girlfriend (she was already in line in front of me) and she says "What happend?" He says "I hit a snowboarder bump and fell". Snowboarder bump??? They were both weraing MRG jackets so I know they were locals. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So I take this to mean that these folks are unable to stay upright unless everything on the snow surface is perfect and the bumps are shaped by skis and the moon is in the 7th house..."Ski it if you can" indeed!!

Now I know plenty of supremely talented skiers over at MRG who are also great people, so this isn't representative of everyone there, but I NEVER hear stuff like this ANYWHERE else anymore, and I go to a LOT of different mountains. Heck, one guy and his wife refused to get on the charlift at South with me last year on a very busy day when the lift attendants tried to pair us up (I was in the singles line) - you guessed it...MRG jackets. Amazing. We don't bite. I'm a friendly and grown up intelligent person, who chooses to snowboard. The last ime I heard anything like this anywhere else was 15 years ago on the chair at Beaver Creek. I'm on the Centennial lift with a Mother, Father and their son. He says "Do you like that?" - referring to my snowboard. I'm thinking of answering "No, I'm into torturing myself" or something similar, but I just said "yeah, I love it". He responds "Aren't you a little old for that?" I was 30 at the time. Then he adds - "it's a DAREDEVIL sport". That's me - overage immature daredevil. What would that make me now? (I know I'm opening myself up here - have at it folks!!)

Anyway - I just find it really sad that at my favorite mountain in the world these attitudes still exist...some sort of a time warp. Hope I don't hit a "skier bump" and fall down this week!
    Altitude is Everything

Case in point - check out Abe Froman's sig on this thread...

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=612

"If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder

"If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.
    It's a quote from Glenn Plake.....I thought it was pretty funny :lol

BTW I ride a Custom X and sometimes a T6. When I ain't riding I'm skiing on my K2 skinnies!

As I think Abe has surmised Plake over the years has said many wacky things and I bet it was toungue in cheek as he supports getting down the hill on whatever means you have at your disposal as long as your having fun. You should have seen the show, Reel Thrills, where he tried those crazy snowbike things, I'm still laughing thinking about it.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman

It's a quote from Glenn Plake.....I thought it was pretty funny :lol

BTW I ride a Custom X and sometimes a T6. When I ain't riding I'm skiing on my K2 skinnies!
    Good to hear - I hereby retract my use of AF to illustrate the "case in point". How about skiing the way it was before GP came along?!?!
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    As I think Abe has surmised Plake over the years has said many wacky things and I bet it was toungue in cheek as he supports getting down the hill on whatever means you have at your disposal as long as your having fun. You should have seen the show, Reel Thrills, where he tried those crazy snowbike things, I'm still laughing thinking about it.
    Missed the Reel Thrills snowbike episode - I'm sure I'll se it again at some point. I'll be lookin' for ya AF!!
    Altitude is Everything

Mad River Glen effect - the anti-snowboard people around here. It's amazing what I hear on a daily basis...it's like stepping back in time 15 years. I was on the lift at ME last week with a mother and her son, with my alpine board on, and I said "Nice day huh?". To which she replied, "yeah, except for the snowboarders". I s*** you not man. I didn't know what to say - I mean - it's like saying "I hate people who work in restaurants" when the waitress/waiter is at your table. So I asked her what specifically was the problem. Her answer: "We usually ski at Mad River, I just don't like them...the general intelligence level is just missing". Again, I promise you, I am NOT making this up. And her little kid is sitting RIGHT THERE between us! I was going to try to reason with here - and point out the item attached to my feet - but I figured it wasn't worth it and just kept silent the rest of the way up.

I figure maybe she's the woman on the local MRG ad that says "we never go any place else"...which would explain a lot, and I feel sorry for her in that sense with all the great mountains available in the world.

Earlier this year, before MRG opened, I was also at ME when I overheard the following in the liftline. This guy skis up to his wife/girlfriend (she was already in line in front of me) and she says "What happend?" He says "I hit a snowboarder bump and fell". Snowboarder bump??? They were both weraing MRG jackets so I know they were locals. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So I take this to mean that these folks are unable to stay upright unless everything on the snow surface is perfect and the bumps are shaped by skis and the moon is in the 7th house..."Ski it if you can" indeed!!

Now I know plenty of supremely talented skiers over at MRG who are also great people, so this isn't representative of everyone there, but I NEVER hear stuff like this ANYWHERE else anymore, and I go to a LOT of different mountains. Heck, one guy and his wife refused to get on the charlift at South with me last year on a very busy day when the lift attendants tried to pair us up (I was in the singles line) - you guessed it...MRG jackets. Amazing. We don't bite. I'm a friendly and grown up intelligent person, who chooses to snowboard. The last ime I heard anything like this anywhere else was 15 years ago on the chair at Beaver Creek. I'm on the Centennial lift with a Mother, Father and their son. He says "Do you like that?" - referring to my snowboard. I'm thinking of answering "No, I'm into torturing myself" or something similar, but I just said "yeah, I love it". He responds "Aren't you a little old for that?" I was 30 at the time. Then he adds - "it's a DAREDEVIL sport". That's me - overage immature daredevil. What would that make me now? (I know I'm opening myself up here - have at it folks!!)

Anyway - I just find it really sad that at my favorite mountain in the world these attitudes still exist...some sort of a time warp. Hope I don't hit a "skier bump" and fall down this week!
    Do what all the other riders do , including myself. Stick your earbuds in and listen to some good tunage. ; }
    But seriously , I've been riding for ten years and I hear a few comments even from my friends that raise the hackles but not as blatant as what you've described here. Chock it up to " poor snow year grumpiness". But your story made me laugh just picturing what these people were
    like and your reaction.
    I have a story...I was riding at Loon here in NH and I jumped in to the gondi with a skiing couple and she was a real snooty-looking gal and he looked whipped. The gondi had a real
    "aromatic" smell about it and she says , " This smells like Marijuana!" Her nose was all up in the air and waving her hands around. Her hubby looked like she goes on like this even if it was
    roses she detected. So I say, ( while holding on to my ride)" Those damn snowboarders. " I
    thought the guy was gonna stroke! He was suppressing a laugh so hard he turned purple. The rest of the ride was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quiet. ; }

Quote Originally Posted by skiladi

Do what all the other riders do , including myself. Stick your earbuds in and listen to some good tunage. ; }
    But seriously , I've been riding for ten years and I hear a few comments even from my friends that raise the hackles but not as blatant as what you've described here. Chock it up to " poor snow year grumpiness". But your story made me laugh just picturing what these people were
    like and your reaction.
    I have a story...I was riding at Loon here in NH and I jumped in to the gondi with a skiing couple and she was a real snooty-looking gal and he looked whipped. The gondi had a real
    "aromatic" smell about it and she says , " This smells like Marijuana!" Her nose was all up in the air and waving her hands around. Her hubby looked like she goes on like this even if it was
    roses she detected. So I say, ( while holding on to my ride)" Those damn snowboarders. " I
    thought the guy was gonna stroke! He was suppressing a laugh so hard he turned purple. The rest of the ride was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry quiet. ; }
    Trouble maker!!
    Altitude is Everything

I heard your kinda tall.....
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

???????????????
    Altitude is Everything

???????????????
    The only thing I can surmise is that SRO is commenting to Sasquatch

Quote Originally Posted by skiladi

???????????????
    The only thing I can surmise is that SRO is commenting to Sasquatch
    Nope, it was me (6' 3" above sea level mon)...he's tying to redirect the thread!
    Altitude is Everything

Ok - new thing to work on regarding this. We (Sugarbush Racing Club) were told that there would be gates set on Spring Fling to train in today, without timing. Cool. I wasn't going to go the the mountain today, but when I heard that, I moved some things around and made the effort to go up. But when I get there - no gates. I could have been getting work done so this was maddening. Word was (second hand - so not necessarily true) that there wasn't enough snow to set gates. But I doubt that was the case, as gates were set last weekend and we haven't lost any snow (in fact, we gained) since then.

So - things happen, and Mr. Murphy is always around. But there has to be better communication somehow. I really made an effort to get up there today, at the sacrifice of other things, and it was all for not. The SRC put out the word just last night that we could train today, and less than 24 hours later, with no visible problems, we couldn't. So there is a breakdown in communication somewhere - with SRC and mountain ops. How can we do better? Any ideas anybody??
    Altitude is Everything

I don't know who told who what, but there were gates on Spring Fling today. Some people from GMVS were training there, this morning.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.