Thread: SB and kids

SB and kids

I posted this on AlpineZone, but no one has responded....

I skiied the Bush last April with a buddy and loved it....my wife has been eyeing it as well..we were actually supposed to head there 2 seasons ago, but i took a spill at Okemo the weekend before and ended up tearing my tricep tendon from the bone, so the 'bush weekend was put on hold.....we are thinking of heading up there for a weekend with the fam...how is the Bush's kids programs? I have a 4yr old who skis on her own and a 19mo that will need day care.....thanks

It's great!
    Mini Bears can go a full day with lunch or a half day if you want to ski with them in the afternoon. I think that holiday weeks are full day only.
    They get a good amount of skiing depending on their ability and available terrain.
    If you prefer private lessons, there are some excellent instructors available.
    Adult lessons are also a great idea for any skier.

Adventure Learning Center, 888-651-4827
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

I'll admit to a bias, because I am an instructor in the children's programs at the mountain, but I agree with Bubba. My son started in the Mini-Bear program 8 years ago and is now in his 7th year in the Blazer program. He is a very good and very confident skier at that age and I think it's due to the great instructors he's had over the years.

My daughter has been in the Mini Bear program, in the Blazers program, and this year, as she is adding riding to her repertoire, she is taking lessons in the Sugar Bear program. Her first day of riding left her smiling for days and she'll be back this weekend for another day or two in the Bear Den.

So, despite my bias, I'm also a customer of the programs and recommend them highly.

GS

Re: SB and kids

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO

I skiied the Bush last April with a buddy and loved it....my wife has been eyeing it as well..we were actually supposed to head there 2 seasons ago, but i took a spill at Okemo the weekend before and ended up tearing my tricep tendon from the bone, so the 'bush weekend was put on hold.....we are thinking of heading up there for a weekend with the fam...how is the Bush's kids programs? I have a 4yr old who skis on her own and a 19mo that will need day care.....thanks
    I can't speak to the daycare but I can to the kids program as I just had a 5 year old and an 8 year old in the program over the X-Mas holiday.

In sum, I think the Sugarbush kids program is top-notch - probably the best I have experienced so far. This is both from my standpoint and my kids. As background, over the past two years both kids have attended ski school for multiple days at Vail, Whiteface, Stratton and Bretton Woods.

The first most important thing is are your kids having fun. Depspite horrible conditions that kept my kids on the bunny slope (where they wouldn't have been if more terrain had been open) and skiing in the rain for one day, my kids couldn't wait to go to ski school each day. My son, who is often resistant going to ski school couldn't wait to go each day. My daughter, who is much easier going, also enjoyed everything (instructors, activities, etc..). Another key for my kids is they don't want to be pushed so hard they get tired. They both were happy with the break time and snacks and hot chocolate they received (BTW, for kids, this may be the most important factor in a ski school).

As for me, I was very pleased with the progress my kids made. Both of my kids made great stides in their skiing. Some of that was probably due to the small class size as a result of the bad weather but I think the results speak for themselves. My youngest went from a wedge skier to making parallel turns and hockey stops. My daughter was on the verge of parallel turns heading in and they got her to that point. In fact, our last day, at the recommendation of the school, she skied with us rather than attend ski school because the school felt that with the limited terrain open they would probably have to stay on the bunny hill for most of the day and that my daughter could ski the open terrain (some others at her level could had problems the previous day with the open terrain).

Finally, if you really want an endorsement, we have already booked President's weekend to go back. We all really liked Sugarbush but because of the weather we only got to experience a small portion of what it has to offer so we wanted to go back when they had a majority of their terrain open.

thanks all...all i have to compare it to is Smuggs, we were there last year and going again later this month for a week...we had great experiences with the ski camp and the day care, both were fantastic.....

Good stuff for the Mega-Bears here too!!
    Altitude is Everything

I'm not an insructor or a parent, but it just so happens I was in the parking lot, today, greeting p[eople as they came in or left.

I was watching a couple with a little girl who was sorta following them, and sorta playing in the snow. I asked them if they had a good time.

The father said he had a great time. The mother asked the girl if she liked ski school, and the girl turned to me and said "I like ski shcool!", with a big smile on her face.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Re: SB and kids

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO
    I as well as 2 others responded to your post on AZ yesterday
    http://forums.alpinezone.com/12680-sbush-kids.html
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

got em, thanks all!!!!!

Both my boys are foaming at the mouth....

....in anticipation of Saturday night's pizza/movie (Snow Dogs) event (5:30 to 8pm) for kids in the Gatehouse Lodge. $15 a head.

In related news....daddy is foaming at the mouth in anticipation 2.5 hours of serenity at home while said kids chomp said pizza watching said movie.