Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tymoguls
    Northridge was open and wanted to head straight over. Between the noise of the guns, the overhwelming crowd, sections of barely edgable ice and a couple of hard falls, he declared he had had enough after one run. If only we had gone up the summit chair intead. I hear that was much better.
    You're not going to like hearing (reading?) this but, yes, it was much better on the Summit lift, yesterday. Skiing was quite good. And Cruiser and Main Street were 237% better, today. They were especially good early, but were still holding up much better than early yesterday, at around 1:00, when I bailed, today.

Still way to many people on the trail, but that is because instead of having Tumbler, Cliffs, Hammerhead, Encore, Which Way, Cruiser, and North Star to get to Northridge, we had Cruiser.

But the surface was much better, today, and they were still blasting the guns. They opened the bottom part of Main Street, and were working Lower Cruiser with guns. That will take a lot more of the traffic away. Let's hope we get something out of the forecasted snow, for tomorrow. We are close on some of the other lower trails, There is just not enough to handle the crowds, yet.

But did anyone check out the Summit today? The skiing was excellent, and the view...? She was showing herself off, today!

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I'm glad to hear it. I'll be out with both kids tomorrow. Another good night for snow making with an additional 1-3 of natural should make for a great day.

And you do know that Pushover opened, today, don't you? Nice to take a few on easier terrain, to get their confidence back.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Thanks for the tip. I agree with your approach. But our passes are ME only. Three all mountain passes would add up to a good chunk of change.

My latest mountain ops question: Why is Cruiser the only way down from GMX? The horror stories from yesterday and the preceding days have already been shared... Which Way and North Star both have snowmaking, and getting one of them open would take a lot of pressure off of the icy, crowded Cruiser... obviously since the crowds are now dwindling this won't be such a big problem, but still...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    My latest mountain ops question: Why is Cruiser the only way down from GMX? The horror stories from yesterday and the preceding days have already been shared... Which Way and North Star both have snowmaking, and getting one of them open would take a lot of pressure off of the icy, crowded Cruiser... obviously since the crowds are now dwindling this won't be such a big problem, but still...
    Be patient, you must, Strat .

Guns are on Northstar all night tonight. Within a day or two, it will be open. The snowmaking horsepower was being focused on Cruiser, Mainstream, Straight Shot, and the lower sections of Which Way and Cruiser (near base of NRX). I agree that it was a mess having everyone and his brother on Cruiser, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    Be patient, you must, Strat .

Guns are on Northstar all night tonight. Within a day or two, it will be open. The snowmaking horsepower was being focused on Cruiser, Mainstream, Straight Shot, and the lower sections of Which Way and Cruiser (near base of NRX). I agree that it was a mess having everyone and his brother on Cruiser, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.
    Finally, now that Christmas break is almost over... well better late then never. Thanks for the update.

I guess \"snowmaking horsepower\" is one of the problems we still face here. Other mountains are able to pump WAY more snow in WAY less time and cover more ground than we can. It\'s too bad we have that limitation, especially this year.
    Altitude is Everything

Quote Originally Posted by sugarboarder
    I guess \"snowmaking horsepower\" is one of the problems we still face here. Other mountains are able to pump WAY more snow in WAY less time and cover more ground than we can. It\'s too bad we have that limitation, especially this year.
    Haven't we spent multiple topics disproving this notion?

Who\'s \"we\" white man?

You can prove or disprove, or disapprove for that matter, but it is a fact. I love the \'bush - it\'s been my home mountain for 18 years, but it can\'t compare to the big boys when it comes to snowmaking...and I WISH that wasn\'t the case.
    Altitude is Everything

I wonder what they could do if they just had a few more guns at M/E, It seems like alot of the horses get tied up covering areas like the Glen House Flats, Times Square, and the very botom of strait shot where cracker jack merges in and everything gets rediculosy wide. I think a short term solution would be to have a couple of SNS Viking Sleds that have their own compressors, and have a very wide throw, and could cover these areas more effectively, especially in marginal temps. Adding a few of these, and another pump to make the use of low E guns possible I think, would really make a huge impact on the snowmaking at Mt Ellen, and could lead to the ability to just get that extra bit of terrain open, a little bit sooner, and for holiday weekens were you are gettign a ton of buisness, that is more important that it usualy is.

Back in the day

This is very anecdotal, but back in the godd old days, when Blaise ran the mountain, they could open the summit lift at North after about 3 days of snowmaking. Water was never an issue there. Seems to take longer today.

But who knows? Win does really seem to be posting the truth here.

Re: Back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by othripper
    This is very anecdotal, but back in the godd old days, when Blaise ran the mountain, they could open the summit lift at North after about 3 days of snowmaking. Water was never an issue there. Seems to take longer today.

Probably just remembering years with good temps... the early season weather this year was just downright awful for snowmaking or natural snow...

They could of course open with less snow, and thinner cover, which provided a beat up pair of skis (which I don't have yet) I would have no problem with. I think they have been airing a bit on the side of opening with beter cover, versus opening ASAP.

Re: Back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by othripper

Probably just remembering years with good temps... the early season weather this year was just downright awful for snowmaking or natural snow...
    Definitely. ME has the capacity to open the summit in 3 days with no trouble, but that would be assuming temps 15 or below, and this year, they were trying to make snow at upwards of 30 degrees just to get opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike451
    I think a short term solution would be to have a couple of SNS Viking Sleds that have their own compressors, and have a very wide throw, and could cover these areas more effectively, especially in marginal temps. Adding a few of these, and another pump to make the use of low E guns possible I think, would really make a huge impact on the snowmaking at Mt Ellen, and could lead to the ability to just get that extra bit of terrain open, a little bit sooner, and for holiday weekens were you are gettign a ton of buisness, that is more important that it usualy is.
    Hmm.. I'm not so sure. As simple as this sounds, on-board compressor fan guns are VERY expensive ($15,000+ each when new), and relatively difficult to place and move around. They also make significantly less snow than a decent air/water gun... by about 100 GPM in some cases. Although they look impressive when they are running, they're not that powerful (aside from the Hedco World Machine from forever ago that could shoot 750 gpm!). Also, surprising as it may be, fan guns do not do as well in marginal temps as air/water guns. Ratnik, Omichron, HKD, and SR air/water guns all perform better in marginal conditions.

I'm not saying this wouldn't help... just that it wouldn't really be any better than adding another compressor, another pump, and a few more beastly Ratnik Snow Giant II+IIs or Vs (which, if I recall correctly, aren't more than $2,500 each new). They actually can throw pretty impressive distances, and can operate at up to 35+ degree temps, and convert up to 270 GPM at temps below 10 degrees.