Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I would run that loop to the left along Lower Jester, as opposed to going down Lower Organgrinder. To many of us, that is a lame diamond, but I've seen the looks on people, looking down it.

And as stated above, there really are signs that say "Easiest Way To"... As I know the trails real well, I don't look at the signs as often as I should, but I think the to is Heaven's Gate. There are a lot of them around. They are the red signs, which I refer to as informational.

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Lower OG, isn't much steeper than downspout, although it wants to be skied like a blue, if you do, it will stab you in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    I would run that loop to the left along Lower Jester, as opposed to going down Lower Organgrinder. To many of us, that is a lame diamond, but I've seen the looks on people, looking down it.

And as stated above, there really are signs that say "Easiest Way To"... As I know the trails real well, I don't look at the signs as often as I should, but I think the to is Heaven's Gate. There are a lot of them around. They are the red signs, which I refer to as informational.
    I have to admit that I too don't really pay attention to the signage either. I am just assuming that if the Tinster says there is no sign than there probably isn't one. So if there is one as Lostone thinks, all I can say is....thanks alot Tin, I listen to you and end up with egg on my face..
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

When you hike up the trails... you get a lot more time to look at the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer

I have to admit that I too don't really pay attention to the signage either. I am just assuming that if the Tinster says there is no sign than there probably isn't one. So if there is one as Lostone thinks, all I can say is....thanks alot Tin, I listen to you and end up with egg on my face..

I think Tin is generally very accurate with these things too. I just remember there being signs, as Lostone confirms, and I *think* the signs already there point to Lower Jester and then to the Heaven's Gate Traverse, which is what I think Tin is suggesting. Perhaps I am mistaken, as I don't pay much attention to the signs either -- I know I'm getting there by Domino, if open.
    -Kenny

clay brook gondola

I thought for sure my Gondola alignment idea would incite some commentary, but aside from Mike451 it’s been mum. Anyone care to critique , praise or lambaste the claybrook/heaven's gate gondola?

Well, first of all, you'd have a heck of a time getting the station back on the top. They don't like things on the ridgetops.

Second, when Sugarbush had its original gondola, I skied here, but never ran the gondola. It always had a giant line, as will all base lifts.

Third, I really like the pod style of South. Heaven's Gate works well, IMNATHO.

That is why I was the first of the votes to say I like the way the lift system works.

What about a surface lift (even a magic carpet) going from the top of Heaven's Gate to Jester? There isn't really too much space on that path, but the walk is annoying, especially as all intermediates are forced to do it because Jester is the only non-expert run from the top.
    -Kenny

So, you think we have room for a liftline, with return path and then a line for people to get to the lift?

Sorry... This is where I just have to say... "Give me a break!"

So, you think we have room for a liftline, with return path and then a line for people to get to the lift?

Sorry... This is where I just have to say... "Give me a break!"
    No, I really don't, which is why I said there is not much space. I just was saying it would be nice, as in an idealistic sense.
    -Kenny

I like the quick up hill climb Gives that lift a unique touch of character
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1

I think Tin is generally very accurate with these things too. I just remember there being signs, as Lostone confirms, and I *think* the signs already there point to Lower Jester and then to the Heaven's Gate Traverse, which is what I think Tin is suggesting. Perhaps I am mistaken, as I don't pay much attention to the signs either -- I know I'm getting there by Domino, if open.
    Definitely an error on my part, which I realized while trying to direct my wife this weekend before I even saw this thread. There are the red signs, though I would suggest they need to be more prominent. Moreover, it might help to have some signage at the top of Super Bravo, perhaps even with a trail map - you don't really ever look at the ones at the base of the lift b/c you're too busy trying to get on as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1

Definitely an error on my part, which I realized while trying to direct my wife this weekend before I even saw this thread. There are the red signs, though I would suggest they need to be more prominent. Moreover, it might help to have some signage at the top of Super Bravo, perhaps even with a trail map - you don't really ever look at the ones at the base of the lift b/c you're too busy trying to get on as fast as possible.
    Trail maps on the mountain always are helpful. As for the signs, they probably can be more prominent. I would think that people not especially familiar with the mountain would seek out the signs though. The people in this group are a bad sample for determining whether these signs are noticeable enough, because almost all of us know where we are going. However it seems that everyone congregates on Downspout anyways, maybe because it is the most obvious route despite the signs, or people have looked at a map and decided to take it before seeing the signs, or maybe because they tried the signed way and Downspout and decided Downspout was more direct.
    -Kenny

Re: clay brook gondola

Quote Originally Posted by random_ski_guy
    I thought for sure my Gondola alignment idea would incite some commentary, but aside from Mike451 it’s been mum. Anyone care to critique , praise or lambaste the claybrook/heaven's gate gondola?
    OK...since you asked. Personally I would prefer that the Bush would spend a couple of hundred bucks on a couple of more Vermont brewery beer taps at the Castlerock Pub than 6 million on a new gondola lift. I have ridden the original gondola, prefered the cabin with the poka dots, it was an awesome lift.

Since I guess we are playing fantesy ski resort here..... wouldn't a lift system made of Star Trek type transporters be the ultimate. I mean, think about it. Six skiers/riders step on the pad and in 2 seconds you can be transported to pretty much any place on the mountain. Now that would be a lift system!
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: clay brook gondola

[quote="ski_resort_observer"]
    Quote Originally Posted by random_ski_guy
    Since I guess we are playing fantesy ski resort here..... wouldn't a lift system made of Star Trek type transporters be the ultimate. I mean, think about it. Six skiers/riders step on the pad and in 2 seconds you can be transported to pretty much any place on the mountain. Now that would be a lift system!
    Well of course that would completely revolutionize the modern transportation infrastructure and industry...

But it would be totally sweet! (*Making the Vulcan symbol with my hands*)

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)