Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accumulation...

Accumulation...

FYI: as of 7:30PM Tuesday, accumulation at the base of Mount Ellen is about 4-5" and summit accumulation is 8-10". Guns are still blastin away, and tonight will be great for blowing snow. We should see some more terrain opening in the next couple of days.

I offer a toast to the first decent snowfall of the ski season!

*Edited to specify Mt Ellen

Thank heavens...
    It's about time!
    See y'all Friday.

Re: Accumulation...

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    FYI: as of 7:30PM Tuesday, accumulation at the base of Mount Ellen is about 4-5" and summit accumulation is 8-10". Guns are still blastin away, and tonight will be great for blowing snow. We should see some more terrain opening in the next couple of days.

I offer a toast to the first decent snowfall of the ski season!

*Edited to specify Mt Ellen
    That's GREAT news. As usual, you'd be hard pressed to find this out just by looking at the website. Last update was 12:45 PM with 1" reported and no indication of what was going on at the mountain. At least there was a time stamp, which is a good step. That said, the main competitors to the North both updated at 4:00 and provided context that it was still snowing with more accumulation expected. Long way to go here.

http://images.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/Radar/bml.gif

See the Blue spot on top of the Valley....Lets hope it stays there till May

Doing my snow dance....But just stay COLD!

Oh look, everyone..... they updated the snow report on the website. Now it says 2".

I have just about had it with the lack of accurate information on the website. Don't they realize that many customers base their decisions on the conditions that they see reported on the website? I'm not saying to exaggerate like our friends to the north and south, but rather to simply tell the ACCURATE truth. There was at LEAST a solid 7-8" at Mt. Ellen summit. I don't know what fell at Lincoln Peak. But regardless, there is NO excuse for this. There have been countless threads and posts on this board alone about the short-comings of the website, and we only represent a very small portion of the market. Imagine how many possible customers are fed this misinformation every time it snows (not to mention all of the other problems on the website); and unlike some of us, most of them aren't here to check for themselves... they base their entire decision upon the reports they see online. If you wonder why people aren't coming to ski... it's because of that. I'm all for conservative reports to keep from being like the Killingtons and Strattons of the world, which often give reports of several inches more than they really got. But for heaven's sake... our report says we got 6 sinches LESS than what we got. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And by the way (I think this has been mentioned before), it's not the IT or web staff's fault. They can only post the information that they are given. Therefore, the problem lies somewhere beyond the tech department, and whoever is responsible for giving them their information needs to step it up a little bit, or hire some extra help to get accurate information to where it needs to go.

Okay, I'm finished ranting. But I won't be satisfied until it's fixed, and I'm not sure if that will happen.

Back to happy thoughts, like SNOW!!! Can't wait to make some turns this afternoon!

There was at LEAST a solid 7-8"
    Where did this info come from?

The reason I ask, is I was asked how much was there, and I said I doubted 2". I left the mountain around 2:30, and it was snowing very hard by the time I got out of the lodge, but I'm not sure there was much on my car.

There was a lot on the top of Black Diamond, but I didn't find that much more on any of the trails. No complaints with what was there, but I wanted more. I'm SURE I'd have noticed 6", and would have only left when they closed the chair.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    http://www.sugarbush.com/snowandtrails/snowreport.asp

Five, six!
    Okay... that's better. I'm not so ticked anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by lostone
    It came from someone who was there around 5:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    There was at LEAST a solid 7-8"

The reason I ask, is I was asked how much was there, and I said I doubted 2". I left the mountain around 2:30, and it was snowing very hard by the time I got out of the lodge, but I'm not sure there was much on my car.

There was a lot on the top of Black Diamond, but I didn't find that much more on any of the trails. No complaints with what was there, but I wanted more. I'm SURE I'd have noticed 6", and would have only left when they closed the chair.
    With all due respect, Lostone, there were some rpetty heavy squalls that rolled through in the late afternoon/early evening according to radar, so the higher totals are absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Glad to see the website was updated from this morning's 2-3" estimate.

Remember that nobody will complain about coming up for a report of 3" and finding 6", but a report of 6" with only 3" will tell the few that believe mountain snow reports that this is another that lies. I think conservative reports make better sense, for the long term.

Also remember that if they way there is 3" when there is 6", you still get to ski in what ever is there. They won't take 3" because it wasn't on their report.

I know what I saw when I was on the trails, but I'll be happy if I see that much.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

The problem is that for people who haven't found this site, the website is one of the only avenues they have to find out what's going on at the hill. I think you're just as likely to have people not come up at all as you are to positively surprise them. The goal is not about expectation mgmt per se, it's about accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Remember that nobody will complain about coming up for a report of 3" and finding 6", but a report of 6" with only 3" will tell the few that believe mountain snow reports that this is another that lies. I think conservative reports make better sense, for the long term.
    This is true... but:

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    The problem is that for people who haven't found this site, the website is one of the only avenues they have to find out what's going on at the hill. I think you're just as likely to have people not come up at all as you are to positively surprise them. The goal is not about expectation mgmt per se, it's about accuracy.
    this is true too.

I don't want lies at all. I don't want the site to say we got 12" when we only got 9", for example. But it should be accurate... not too high, not too low. Just accurate.

groomed mostly?

safe to say they groomed most of it last night? (sacriledge i know but cant have
    the stuff blowing away either at this point!)

Lets see, @ this time on the SB site the weather forecast is for Mon the 18th and the snow report was done at 9:25 am.!!!! I would have to think that most people who are going to ski or ride are going to be looking at the site earlier than 9:25!!!!!!!!!! There must be somebody up on that mountain early enough to give an acurate snow report!!!! Heck I would even call them @ 5:00 am on snow days, but it would only be a base report .

No new snow reported to snocountry.com
    http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient...om=effectsLink
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.