Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accumulation...

Quote Originally Posted by beelze
    safe to say they groomed most of it last night? (sacriledge i know but cant have
    the stuff blowing away either at this point!)
    Pretty much everything except FIS and Exterm at Mt. Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy
    Lets see, @ this time on the SB site the weather forecast is for Mon the 18th and the snow report was done at 9:25 am.!!!! I would have to think that most people who are going to ski or ride are going to be looking at the site earlier than 9:25!!!!!!!!!! There must be somebody up on that mountain early enough to give an acurate snow report!!!! Heck I would even call them @ 5:00 am on snow days, but it would only be a base report.
    It's a little bit ridiculous, isn't it? They really should update it several times per day. Once before 6:00, then an 8 or 9 update, a noon update, a mid afternoon update, and an evening update. Each update should only take about 5 minutes. That means, based on my suggestion, 25 minutes total out of one day. Come on... can't someone spare 25 minutes to keep customers happy? Of course, gathering the necessary information to make the update would take some more time. But there is generally someone on the mountain by 6:00am, there are definitely people on the hil from 8 till after 5, and there are generally snowmakers or groomers on the hill at night. There could be designated personnel each day to make a report at a certain time. In this scenario, no further employees are required, and the data can be gathered while the aforementioned employees are simply doing their jobs. Easy fix. Accurate reports. Everyone's happy. No prob.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    No new snow reported to snocountry.com
    http://www.snocountry.com/snowclient...om=effectsLink
    That's not good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that type of thing falls under the marketing umbrella???

My father called me this am and said that he checked the snophone and they were reporting 3" of new snow? Must have called the snowphone before 9:30. I told him I was looking @ 5" in my yard. I'll have to get out my measuring stick
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Nice to hear that we finally have some minor cover that could turn into a base.
    To: Mother Nature
    Message: Just a few more minor snowfalls before next week would be appreciated.

I am probably harping on this idea a little too much but.....
    It certainly would be more convenient (and accurate) to "see" the current conditions once those web cams are hooked up on the peak!
    Ahh..... maybe in the near future....

Praying for colder temps and deeper white stuff.

SB's Snow Reporting Procedure

0530- Snow Reporter gathers snowfall totals from available on-hill personnel; ie, if a groomer is near the summit, get his measurement. If no personnel are up high, use the base read behind the Valley House.

0730-0745 (Weekends) 0830-0845 (Weekdays)- Patrol reports new-snow depths from mid and summit stations. A patroler has been scheduled to begin summit measurements by 0630. This will start soon.

This morning at 0600 two inches was measured outside of the VH. At 0728, snowmaking personnel called in four inches from near the LP mid station. At 0902, Patrol radioed in with 5 to 6 inches.

With regards to what other mountains report, Sugarbush only reports what falls on its mountains.

The time stamp on the website: It reflects the time of the last update. For example, if you had looked at it this morning around 0700, you would have seen the "6:20 AM" stamp. The current stamp of "9:25 AM" is still there because nothing has changed since 9:25 AM; 5 to 6 inches of snow still fell, the lifts are still spinning and there has been no adjustment to the ticket prices.

Lets see, @ this time on the SB site the weather forecast is for Mon the 18th and the snow report was done at 9:25 am.!!!! I would have to think that most people who are going to ski or ride are going to be looking at the site earlier than 9:25!!!!!!!!!! There must be somebody up on that mountain early enough to give an acurate snow report!!!! Heck I would even call them @ 5:00 am on snow days, but it would only be a base report .
    I don't know about the weather forecast (which should be updated) but the snow report was updated at around 6:25 this morning and again at 9:25, so I can't fault them for keeping it current. They do a great job of getting up at the crack of dawn (before dawn, really), my complaints are around the lack of updates and the accuracy of information therein. Looks like we're starting to get more frequent updates, which is nice.

Edit: I see others covered my point better than I could

Wish we had that much. 5" is what we measured up top! Maybe there was a stash blown in that measured 8-10" but that is not what fell and what we would report. Next time!!!!!!! We should have gotten that info out earlier in the morning once we have some people on the mountain. It will get more timely.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Wish we had that much. 5" is what we measured up top! Maybe there was a stash blown in that measured 8-10" but that is not what fell and what we would report. Next time!!!!!!! We should have gotten that info out earlier in the morning once we have some people on the mountain. It will get more timely.
    Thanks for the report, Win.

I was just up on Mt Ellen, and in the wind-protected areas I found approximately 6-7" (not the 8-10 I mentioned earlier, but more than 5). A lot of what fell was blown around last night and today. But, there's no sense in arguing over the amount of snow. All that matters is that we finally got some! Yes... earlier reports would be nice.......

Looks good for T2B at Mt Ellen by Friday It will be quite a relief not having to download, and having NRX open will REALLY help with lift lines at Summit. Can't wait!

Well, I would have liked 6-7" but the most I saw was at the left of Lower Elbow, where there was less than 4". There were pockets on Exterminator that had more, but there were ice bumps right next to them with 0".

I think what I'm saying is that where you measure makes a large difference in what measurement you give. I would count it as 4", because that is what I found to ski in. And most of what I skied in was much less, as it had been groomed in. And I think that was great, as there was snow on most of most of the trails.

I love powder skiing, but I'd have hated to have a few good powder runs and then just scrape across the ice. And Ithought the skiing was quite good, today. I was in total shock when I saw the line on Summit, on a Wednesday! On the good side, the lifties saw the need for the singles' line and set it up.

And I, also, am hoping for t-2-b at both mountains, with as much extra as we can get.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

What is a couple inches amongst friends? IT SNOWED!

"If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman
    What is a couple inches amongst friends? IT SNOWED!
    Agreed!

Words can't describe the feelings of jealousy...........

That's funny.... I had a dream last night that I had to climb out my 2nd floor window to shovel my walk way!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    That's funny.... I had a dream last night that I had to climb out my 2nd floor window to shovel my walk way!
    I wish!

Skied Ellen 2-3:40 Tuesday.

IMHO there was about 4-5 on top half of Mtn. and about 2.5" at bottom.

Over at our place at South, my deck rails had about 1.5".

FWIW.

They were making snow most of the day on Jester and maybe part of snowball. I was surprised since it seemed kinda warm om the afternoon.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.