Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Think a big part of the problem is finding qualified people to do these jobs. AHYUP

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy
    Think a big part of the problem is finding qualified people to do these jobs. AHYUP
    ....because this morning I was looking in the mirror hoping to find a qualified person to be me. No luck ! I'll try again tomorrow.

Re: Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    ....because this morning I was looking in the mirror hoping to find a qualified person to be me. No luck ! I'll try again tomorrow.
    Wow! I am glad you said that! Now I know I am not the only neurotic person who does this 1st thing in the am!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Re: Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    Wow! I am glad you said that! Now I know I am not the only neurotic person who does this 1st thing in the am!
    I've gotta draw a line, though, Richie, cause I don't kiss my sister, dude ! You need to set your backside on a psychiatrist's couch, pronto. Me, on the other hand, am completely pulled together....other than this little twitch I get now and then, and the conversations I have with my invisible friend Ivan....

What the heck is wong with kissing your sister SHe is Gwyneth Paltrow! Geesshh!

It's a mess....

I hope they can make adjustments on the fly here. The Castlerock Pub is too small and the Timbers is too Sun Valley.

NO congregating Children at the tables (It's a PUB? Right.......).

Right, but.. what happens now if you want to sit down with the kids after skiing and have a beer for the big folks and wings for the kids? We went to Timbers because CR Pub was jam packed and loud. All the apres seating was taken (there's not nearly enough for such a big space, what a huge waste). So we sit at some of the tables with the white tablecloths in the main area, get a beer, sit down for awhile. order a bunch of apps and then the manager tells us we have to leave, before our order comes, because the tables are reserved for dinner. It was 4:40 in the afternoon. We leave and go wedge into the CR Pub, and on the way out, about an hour or so later, look in on Timbers and all the tables are empty.

So, what happens next? It'll be interesting to see if management responds to the market (The Mad River Valley is not Sun Valley).

Net net? We need the mushroom back.

Re: It's a mess....

Quote Originally Posted by arc1
    I hope they can make adjustments on the fly here. The Castlerock Pub is too small and the Timbers is too Sun Valley.

NO congregating Children at the tables (It's a PUB? Right.......).

Right, but.. what happens now if you want to sit down with the kids after skiing and have a beer for the big folks and wings for the kids? We went to Timbers because CR Pub was jam packed and loud. All the apres seating was taken (there's not nearly enough for such a big space, what a huge waste). So we sit at some of the tables with the white tablecloths in the main area, get a beer, sit down for awhile. order a bunch of apps and then the manager tells us we have to leave, before our order comes, because the tables are reserved for dinner. It was 4:40 in the afternoon. We leave and go wedge into the CR Pub, and on the way out, about an hour or so later, look in on Timbers and all the tables are empty.

So, what happens next? It'll be interesting to see if management responds to the market (The Mad River Valley is not Sun Valley).

Net net? We need the mushroom back.

Interesting point, and one that will probably cause a lot of disagreement. I personally think that the apres-ski pub/bar or whatever should be an adults-only environment. The upstairs at the gatehouse was jammed last weekend with very young kids. I think a major mountain needs to have a place where adults who do not have children with them can go and have a break, have a cocktail, and not have all the seating taken by kids. I saw kids taking up barstools in the CR pub last weekend also, which in my personal opinion shouldn't be happening. There could be a legality issue (there is in MA) and it isn't fair to the bartender, who is working for tips generated by adult bar customers. I know a lot of parents of very young kids are going to disagree with me, and say that they should be served wherever they see fit, but can there be a balance point? My kids are college age now, but I still believe that bars are adult environments. Maybe a "Nobody under 21 sits at the Bar" policy would be a reasonable compromise. I know that families need to be catered to by any resort looking to stay in business, and yes there are lots of other places I can go off-mountain, where I won't have somebody's kid shrieking next to me while I enjoy a pint. That said, however...I believe a pub is a pub, and a family restaurant is a family restaurant. Is the Castlerock trying to be both? The upstairs is the family area, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: The foregoing is a personal opinion based upon experience and preference, and not intended as an on-high pronouncement of absolute fact.

Just another personal opinion, and I haven't been to the new lodge yet, but I think kids should be allowed in the pub (I'm 25 and have no kids). I agree with one of the above posters that it would be too difficult for families who want some apres-skiing snacks (with or without parents who want drinks) to have a no kids rule in a pub located within a ski lodge. I think a rule saying adults only on the bar stools works, but a complete ban doesn't make sense to me. If it were open at night-time hours I might have a different view, but for apres-skiing hours, I don't like the idea of making it adults only.

Edited to add: Maybe if I see the entire set-up of the pub and new lodge I'd have a different opinion. I'm only going on what I can gather from reading posts.
    -Kenny

Re: It's a mess....

[quote="CapeSkiGuy

That said, however...I believe a pub is a pub, and a family restaurant is a family restaurant. Is the Castlerock trying to be both? The upstairs is the family area, in my opinion.

Disclaimer: The foregoing is a personal opinion based upon experience and preference, and not intended as an on-high pronouncement of absolute fact.[/quote]

I like your disclaimer. However, I grew up eating with my brothers & parents in pub's...local or while skiing somwhere else. We were on short leashes....very short. I think you are right on some accounts. However, if the parents are enjoying a pint and the kids are running around throwing cue balls, etc. that is unacceptable! This is a touchy grey area. If the family is spending $$$ they are paying customers. I will add that some people shouldn't let their kids run the show. I've seen this happen on many occasions. How about a 21+ no acceptions so there is no grey area....if you don't like it go somewhere else. Like the timbers.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but would like to comment on some experienes not yet discussed.

Timbers: Had lunch there on a slow day. It was raining and husband and daughter were first ones there, around 11:30. I arrived about half an hour later. They were eating their meals and I was promptly waited on by the bartender. My order took about 15 or 20 minutes. A little slow, but bartender was aware and followed up with the kitchen. Food was good. Husband's burger was excellent. Daughter wasn't crazy about her sandwich...no kids menu. Since she didn't each much of it she asked for a small salad. Bartender, nicely told us that they were unable to stray from the menu and only meal sized salads were available. I think she was a little embarassed she couldn't be more accomodating. I don't know if it was a ktichen thing, a managment thing, or due to the coding of the cash registers, but more flexibility is needed in regards to special orders.

Castlerock Pub: Had a mix of experiences. Arrived at 11:30 early in the week and had lunch 15 minutes later. Arrived at 12:20 another day (still mid-week) and sandwich took an hour to arrive.
    Waitress said it was because we had ordered a hot sandwich and the kitchen had only one machine for making them. Not surprising there were dozens of orders for hot sandwiches. Have not tried the soups there yet but the absence of chili was apparent. I did see ktichen staff bringing down some chowder later in the week. Don't know if it was a special or they added it to the menu. Chili and chowder were staples and huge sellers in the Wonderbar...I miss it.

Resorted to bringing my own lunch by the end of the week. Couldn't get a seat upstairs until about 1:30...I'll be sure to pack PowerBars from now on and will check out Valley House. Friend of mine did eat up there Sunday and reported that it was not very inviting. Apparently being used as a storage area for the old Mushrooom tables. This should be an easy fix but most of the people I know who brown bag it still like to buy soup, fries, or something else to supplement.

Just my observations.

I checked out both spots this past weekend and I want to focus my comments on the service side of things...my personal experience confirms that the service was slow but pleasant. I am very confident that the service will improve with a little bit more time and training. I was very impressed with the general attitude of all of the employees at the mountain this past week. EVERYONE -Ski school, ambassadors, ticket sales etc went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful. In the past I thought the service was good but I really noticed an improvement this year. The general feeling given by the employees was we can't do much about the conditions but we will do everything else possible to make your experience pleasant! Assuming that this is a management directive, accepted by a willing and appreciated staff, I think it will filter in to Timbers and the Pub!

As to the general vibe of the new facilities I think that too will improve with time. The Castlerock Pub is similar to the old one but not the same. It will take a little bit of time to determine who is going to use it and what they want i.e kids at the bar ( I have three and I do not want my kids or anyone elses sitting next to me at a bar!). Timbers is completely new and as such will take longer to "find its place". I agree it is a bit more Sun Valley than Mad River Valley but in time it will develop its own personality and style. It will be tough to be apres ski until 4:30 and then switch to fine dining by 5 but I think overtime it will be sorted out.

Overall the place looked great, the employees were fantastic and we got great feedback from the newcomers we brought to the 'Bush!

Quote Originally Posted by win
    I do not believe what is attributed to our chef, but if it is true it will be corrected. He is an excellent chef and has worked around the clock to get all 3 food operations up and running in an incredibly short period of time. Great chefs like great artists have passion and that may be misunderstood at times by some.
    I hope it is not true - but if it is, I don't care who or what he is, it's not "passion" it's outright rudeness. And if he's so great an artist, what is he dong here?

Henri is THE MAN!
    Altitude is Everything

I say if you want the real MRV go to North. The Atmosphere is better there.

Quote Originally Posted by walks
    I say if you want the real MRV go to North. The Atmosphere is better there.
    Personally speaking I couldn't agree more. Sitting on the outside upper deck with a beer/coffee and kids drinking some hot chocolate after skiing, doen't get any better than that.

I also agree that it's going to take awhile before this huge change is going to settle out. The Bush had to build a bigger Gatehouse and also needed a Claybrook to capture a bigger piece of a market they used to lead in(Mascara Mt days) but over the years basically lost it to places like Stratton and Stowe. I have not been inside Clay Brook, the Timbers or the Castlerock Pub, probably never will, but am thrilled and grateful that SV took on this Herculean project and succeeded beyond all expectations.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

My father was over @ L.P. last week to check out the new buildings and make some turns. When he came back to ME to have a beer w/me at the end of the day, the first thing he said was: "I feel like I was visiting another panet and I am now back on earth He also added that change is good.