Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I am a bit rushed so I will provide some answers, but I way miss somethings. Most of your comments have already made it onto our punch list and that is why a soft opening helps. The floor in the cafeteria was supposed to be non-slip, but it obviously is not for ski boots. That will be changed. The entries and meral greates from outside are also being addressed. We will be putting hooks in the Casterock pub to hang coats and stuff. There is going to be a third cashier which will help the flow. Also the cashiers arrived from Peru just in time to learn our new RTP system. They had no prior training so this also made it slower than it should be in the future. The storage room is a good question -we'll see We are adding some more shelves and benches. Hardly anyone used the coin operated lockers or the checked storage which will change during the Holiday crunch. I think the signage is good from the main entry in but Tin makes a good point about upstairs. I am mixed on the size of the TV's, but I am not going to change this year.

With respect to seating space. It looked full because everyone was spread out and sometimes taking up 2 to 3 seats. When it is busy people will have to use only one seat. Also remember that cafeterias turn about 3X so is you have 450 seats you can accommodate 1,350 people. We also have a side room that can accommodate another 50-60 seats and that was not set up this past weekend. It is on the North East side and the doors we shut. It can also be used for private meetings. Castlerock Pub has 80 seats indoors and another 40+ outside in the right weather. Timbers has 130 seats. If you do get 3 turns then all of these will accomodate nearly two thousand. I also assume that some will eat at Allyns's, a good number will brown bag, people will still go to Chez Henri and Club 10 and many will ski and ride early and go home before noon. We do have some options will the kids programs as well. The Valley House is not having any food service but is available for brown baggers and has some vending machines. One can not build a church for Christmas and Easter and we can not build a Lodge for the busiest day of the year. However, if we find that we do need more space that will be great news and we can build that into the programming of the next lodge this winter. Frankly, I am hoping we do get a bit crowded.

Thanks for the observations!

What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!

Thanks Win as always for the response and updates. Many observations posted here are already checked off and resolved moving foreward !

PS - Kudos to the Sugar Sherpas - nice addition to the mountain staff

Love the honest word Win. Thanks a ton.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by win
    I am a bit rushed so I will provide some answers, but I way miss somethings. Most of your comments have already made it onto our punch list and that is why a soft opening helps. The floor in the cafeteria was supposed to be non-slip, but it obviously is not for ski boots. That will be changed. The entries and meral greates from outside are also being addressed. We will be putting hooks in the Casterock pub to hang coats and stuff. There is going to be a third cashier which will help the flow. Also the cashiers arrived from Peru just in time to learn our new RTP system. They had no prior training so this also made it slower than it should be in the future.
    This is great news and glad to se they're already on the list. Even happier to see that Natalia is back. It's very niiiice.

The storage room is a good question -we'll see We are adding some more shelves and benches. Hardly anyone used the coin operated lockers or the checked storage which will change during the Holiday crunch.
    I am skeptical that people's habits will change here until absolutely necessary - i.e. no more room/storage int he main hall upstairs.

I think the signage is good from the main entry in but Tin makes a good point about upstairs. I am mixed on the size of the TV's, but I am not going to change this year.
    Signage is definitely good from the main entry, but there are a variety of reasons why a customer's first exposure the the lodge could be upstairs (coming via SBX, happened to walk in that way, etc...). As for the TVs, even angling them towards the room would be an improvement, IMHO. I can understand why you wouldn't want the TV to be any kind of center of focus though.

With respect to seating space. It looked full because everyone was spread out and sometimes taking up 2 to 3 seats. When it is busy people will have to use only one seat. Also remember that cafeterias turn about 3X so is you have 450 seats you can accommodate 1,350 people. We also have a side room that can accommodate another 50-60 seats and that was not set up this past weekend. It is on the North East side and the doors we shut. It can also be used for private meetings.
    I was wondering about that. I was looking for an upstairs bathroom and wandered over there. Couldn't figure out what that was. will that space be set up and open everyday for non-private meeting folk?

Castlerock Pub has 80 seats indoors and another 40+ outside in the right weather. Timbers has 130 seats.
    IIRC, the turnout at the old CR pub was quite a bit more than 80. Mushroom and upstairs at VH was probably double that. that could make for tight space down there. I assume people will overflow, or choose in the first place, the ample sized bar at Timbers. Do you envision Timbers as an apres ski destination?

What happened on Organgrinders? We had a bad human error. The night supervisor did not check the guns, and we had a few get buried. As the second guy down after Hardy Saturday morning, I was appalled and told the lift operators at Heaven's Gate to warn everyone. We have a new night supervisor!
    Yikes! Win Smith - man of action.

Gatehouse

WOW!
    Nice job on the Gatehouse.
    Phase one of the very impressive and upcoming improvements to the base area.

IMHO, a few "suggestions" would be:

Replace the low tables with only the tall tables in the Castlerock Pub, so everyone is at the same eye level standing or sitting throughout the space.
    High tables also beome "leaning areas" for non-seated guests in a crowd.
    Music, Music, Music.
    Did I mention music.
    I'll second the idea of the coat hooks under the tables and not on the walls.
    A big fire pit outside the pub to draw people out and keep them warm.

I would also second the motion for leaving more space between the tables in the upper lodge, as well as an additional two checkout registers in the food and bev area, maybe one for credit cards only like a "speeedpass" lane.

That wasn't meant to be criticizing........

Looking forward to report the experience from Timbers this weekend.

Tin,
    BTW that was good old NE Packed Powder on Grinder!
    Better keep those edges tuned for a few more weeks until the dumping begins..........
    Otherwise it's "slip slidin' away"........

Timbers?

Is Timbers going to be open this weekend? If so, I will make it a point to check it out. Can't wait! Doing the snowdance for Sunday / Monday...

The is to be the grand opening of Claybrook and Timbers.

And today was the day to be on Organgrinder.

On each one of the first 10 turns, or so, I would say "Niiiice!"

Skiing in the rain is.... wet, but the snow is soft and so forgiving.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Great. I will positively be there to check it out and have a toast in the new bar. Congratulations to every member of the SB team who made this happen. You are to be commended.

[Tin Woodsman wrote] IIRC, the turnout at the old CR pub was quite a bit more than 80. Mushroom and upstairs at VH was probably double that. that could make for tight space down there. [/quote]

I definitely share this concern. Upstairs at the Valley House (was it still called the Wonderbar after it moved to the top floor?) was always a good choice. I wonder now if there will be any table service options short of fine dining at Timbers? Instead of "building a church" why not operate an existing bar during peak periods at least?

Quote Originally Posted by win

Let me clarify the 80. That is 80 seats for a meal. Clearly more than get in for apres ski!
    So you'd assume some people sitting/standing at the bar and standing aside tables?

Is there room to put a small shelf on the wall(s) for people to rest their frosty adult beverages upon?

Split skiing posts from lodge posts.

Please continue lodge thread, here.

Thanx,

Lostone

Well, that answers that question...

We had the employee party at the Gatehouse lodge today. I walked in a little late. Went over to the Castlerock Pub.

As for the 80 people.... Fugedaboutit!!

There were way more than 100. The place was almost wall to wall. Later, Win estimated 120, but by that time a lot had already left the room. As for how many seats... Nobody was sitting! Everyone was standing, talking to each other.

My guess is there were around 150 people in there, when I first got there. And there were still two corners that were empty. People also were standing in the hall, next to the pub.

Of course, the real test will be when y'all are there partying.

Friday...Heading Up

I'm leaving shortly, and will be in Warren by this afternoon. I won't be on the mountain until Sunday, so I'm hoping for the best. See you all there, I hope! I will definitely be checking out Timbers. I'm skiing Sunday and Monday, and maybe Tuesday if it is decent. Adios!