Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Almost time to move the camera!!!

...but to where? Perhaps a spot on the roof of new Gatehouse, pointing across towards Claybrook? Maybe in the parking lot, looking up towards Claybrook, Gatehouse and the mountain?

yeah, i'm excited to see that camera move back up the mtn. last year, there were days when i had that camera up on machine all day as a backdrop. i was virtually in warren. i understand the that it is a chamber of commerce camera and therefore it needs to be a position that represent all of the valley. i'm not familiar with the area enough to off good placement suggestions. hopefully it can be someplace that gives us some view of the mtn though.

noski, when will it be moved, any idea?

thanks.

I suspect vickeryhill and I will move it this Saturday or Monday- Soon.....certainly before the peak foliage moment scheduled for October 10 at 10:10am. We have a Plan B location ready, but Plan A is still being pursued....
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

so i gather the location will be a surprise. feel free to ruin it.

Not on your life.... Plan A will be easy to figure out, Plan B will suffice- such as Plan B's tend to do, and most people will recognize the angle (not the same as the one last winter).
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I thought the on-mountain cam had been permanently canned? Thought that the facing the mountain setup last year was a compromise...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Why no mountain cam?

Mountain cam "permanently canned"? Is that true? I'm very curious why. Last winter's cam location was a disappointment.

Re: Why no mountain cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwide
    Mountain cam "permanently canned"? Is that true? I'm very curious why. Last winter's cam location was a disappointment.
    Ditto. Seriously. What's the problem?

I explained in the Webcam thread over in the MRV forum...
    http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.p...ebcam&start=30

Like I said before I don't want to spread overly negative rumors, that was just what I was told when I asked about it last year...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

My recollection that the camera that used to be a Sugarbush was their camera and different than the Mad River Valley cam. Is this true? I know it was aimed at the mountain during the spring, but moved to the airport due to popularity of the suggestion.

Anyone else know?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    My recollection that the camera that used to be a Sugarbush was their camera and different than the Mad River Valley cam. Is this true? I know it was aimed at the mountain during the spring, but moved to the airport due to popularity of the suggestion.

Anyone else know?

SB has their own camera.
    The MRV camera is provided by Vickery Hill.
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

SB has their own camera? Is it running? Is there a link from the website? I'm only familiar with the Vickery Hill / Chamber of Commerce camera.

There used to be a camera at South that hit about 5 areas, in rotation.

If my memory serves (Not all that probable... Remember the 70s? I have parts of them... But I digress... ) they moved it to North when they switched to having that be the early/late mountain.

I'm still voting for it to return to South.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

It is unfortunate that the administration seems to be wary of a camera on the mountain. IMO, that attitude communicates precisely the wrong message to the skiing public. Let's see for ourselves what the conditions will be. Better that than to have unsatisfied customers vowing never to go back due to the perception of an unrealistic snow report. SV has done a great job in re-connecting with the MRV and creating an atmosphere of openess and honesty that ASC couldn't match. I think the current ambivalence towards having the webcam on the hill runs counter to that philosophy.

Maybe it's the risk of that day-glo orange suit you mentioned? Perhaps administration could respond? Another option--how about at the top of Summit, Northridge or GMX? Really not that big a deal, but that street cam is just lame.