Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: SB & the root experience....

Quote Originally Posted by notorious
    In your willingness to authorize John to start the respectful focus on the "real" Sugarbush you have merged the business end of skiing with the root experience. What a simple concept. What a revolutionary idea.
    ....well put.

Re: Hey, Tin....

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by john
    This program came out of requests we recieved for a very high end program that had a hard core group of instructors that could step outside the realm of most ski instruction . We needed coaches that had learned thier skills here but have proven them world wide ! We found them and I am very excited to have them on our team ! I don't know who started the rumor that this group would get early lifts but the times are set up so parents who have children in one of our other programs have time to drop off the child and still fit in some serious ripping of thier own ! Come join us ...if you think your up for it. John
    Nice. Welcome to the board, John.
    ....that would be Sir John, methinks....

This program looks great and I applaud the folks at SB for coming up with it (as others have already said). Has any thought been given to allowing people to join the group on a one-time basis for a daily fee without having to commit to the whole season? I would love to be able to join the group on certain Sundays when my schedule permits.

While I own property in the Valley, I will not be able to make it every Sunday. Since I have to provide financially for the ski experiences of my wife and 4 children, I cannot justify paying the entire seasonal rate when I might only be able to make one or two Sundays during the year. Hopefully, I would be able to make it more than once or twice but I can't predict at this point. Any thoughts on this approach?

Jeff

Has any thought been given to allowing people to join the group on a one-time basis for a daily fee without having to commit to the whole season?
    I woud think that to be a great idea. There would have to be some sort of ski off to ensure the person wanting to join would be able to do it, but that would be a great thing to offer on timers... who might become two and three and ...? timers.

People might try it and decide this place is more than they'd thought.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I had been thinking same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by madskier6
    This program looks great and I applaud the folks at SB for coming up with it (as others have already said). Has any thought been given to allowing people to join the group on a one-time basis for a daily fee without having to commit to the whole season? I would love to be able to join the group on certain Sundays when my schedule permits.
    Perhaps a slightly higher "a la carte" rate, and based on availability of a "slot" ???

I also would love to see an la carte option. Living in NY, I can't make it every weekend but would love to try this. I think my 10 year old would love it too since he seems to be obsessed with skiing Paradise woods and making his way to the church

I too would second (or is it third) the a la catre option!

Backwoods a la carte

Count me among those also extrememly interested in a daily option with the backcountry "Bush Pilots" program. Living in CT I have logistical limitations for weekly backcountry powder grabs!

I can understand the desire for some consistency in the group. Yet practically speaking, I could only commit to 4-6 Sundays during the season.

Maybe using Eden as a proving ground for those wishing to join a la carte, either on the previous Sat or earlier that Sunday AM? Would be covered by - & further justify - a higher daily fee. So while my 9 year old would be super jealous (another paradise woods fan), he'd have something to look forward to / dream about.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

I think the ala carte idea is great, but it does have practical limitations insofar as people would need to be tested to see if they are up to the challenge, and that takes time and money. You can't dedicate an instructor to go with just one person for testing purposes, can you? Maybe you have a pre check-in an hour before the program starts whereby those who aren't "certified" yet can have time to go up with a guide and get assessed? What happens when aspiring applicants are judged as not being good enough? That should be a fun conversation.

And I'm not sure that Eden is the right proving grounds if this program is what it aspires to be. Maybe Lew's Line would be more apropos.

Mind you, along with ut about everything else I write/say, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Good points

Maybe Lew's Line would be more apropos.
    Totally apprteciate where you coming from with respect to Lew's Line. Eden suggested mostly for expediency (would certainly help if the double would be a bit zippier one day; but hey I DO NOT mean to complain!).

Hopefully, Lew-flavored terrain would be the aim.

And that 'conversation' would need to be had with any falling short of the mark - a challenge independent of the timing of the qualification process.

Of course, there are likely to be sufficient numbers of you lucky ones who live closer to fill up the program without us weekend hacks...
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

I have a funny feeling....

I think the ala carte idea is great, but it does have practical limitations insofar as people would need to be tested to see if they are up to the challenge, and that takes time and money. You can't dedicate an instructor to go with just one person for testing purposes, can you? Maybe you have a pre check-in an hour before the program starts whereby those who aren't "certified" yet can have time to go up with a guide and get assessed? What happens when aspiring applicants are judged as not being good enough?
    .....they will probably need at least two levels within any group.

1) The truly hardcore who can charge all day....really charge. Anything, anywhere, anytime, all the time.

2) And the people who can charge, but perhaps will tire more easily, then charge some more, but might have better proficiency on certain terrain, but less proficiency on other terrain/conditions. "Wanna Be" is not the term here. Probably a bunch of good skiers, perhaps more middle-ageish, but not in the peak fighting trim of their "prime". Their hearts will be totally in it....but their bodies will betray some minor kinks in the armor....hence limitations.

Just my .02, as seen through the crystal ball.

Edit: PS.....I'm a #2, I believe. Love handles protruding through my chinks.....