Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue Tooth Closing for Good??

See the quote below from a Sugarbush e-mail that I (and probably lots of others) received.

And when the sun goes down the Blue Tooth’s Grand Finale Bash gets underway. A Sugarbush après institution for the last 40-plus years, the Tooth will be closing its doors for good when Named By Strangers strikes the last guitar chord Saturday night. Featured in this month’s Skiing Magazine, the boys of the band have worked at the ‘Bush in every capacity from liftie to Communications Manager so it was only fitting they get Last Night honors.
    Does anyone know whether this means the Blue Tooth will be closing forever? At first, I thought they meant it was closing for the season and would re-open next ski season. Then I read it again and it suggests that they will be closing it for good. Any inside info on this?
    Jeff

Re: Blue Tooth Closing for Good??

Quote Originally Posted by madskier6
    See the quote below from a Sugarbush e-mail that I (and probably lots of others) received.

... the Tooth will be closing its doors for good when Named By Strangers strikes the last guitar chord Saturday night. Featured in this month’s Skiing Magazine, the boys of the band have worked at the ‘Bush in every capacity from liftie to Communications Manager so it was only fitting they get Last Night honors.
    Does anyone know whether this means the Blue Tooth will be closing forever? At first, I thought they meant it was closing for the season and would re-open next ski season. Then I read it again and it suggests that they will be closing it for good. Any inside info on this?
    (emphasis mine) It's pretty clear...
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Closing for good. Have heard that it is part of an 8-acre parcel of land that will potentially be developed for affordable housing.

The Blue Tooth has a pretty wacky history. Before Summit bought it a few years ago ya never knew from one winter to the next if it would still be open. Every summer the owner put a For Sale sign out on the access road Heard alot of stories about that. Due the lack of summer business, not the type of place the golfing crowd would go, I am sure it has been on thin ice for years.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Blue Tooth closing for good?

Oh, now that one hurts. You telling me the BT can't make some bucks in season while being mothballed for 8 months of the year? Sure it's been on thin ice, but seriously, we haven't had a big snow year since '00/01. The Tooth is part of Sugarbush legend. Folks know about it in Manhattan who haven't been to the 'bush in years. A former top-rated ski resort hangout put to pasture? You can't put down our own answer to the Wobbly Barn like an old dog. Do something about it! The phoenix bar is getting all the action.

The BT will be a money maker just as soon as the 'Bush is put back on the map, right? Come on now, what are we supposed to do when the urge to apres ski becomes an urge to be 25 again? Claybrook buyers will want the tooth. Locals still go there. Weekend warriors go there. Anyone looking for any kind of evening entertainment goes there.

What's driving the decision? Does it really lose that much cash? Really need the tied up capital?

Why just kill it? Can't it just limp along until better days return? Driving up that access road on a winter Saturday and seeing that place empty will be a sad day indeed.

Affordable housing would be a wonderful thing.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Blue Tooth closing for good?

Quote Originally Posted by Schusseur
    Oh, now that one hurts. You telling me the BT can't make some bucks in season while being mothballed for 8 months of the year? Sure it's been on thin ice, but seriously, we haven't had a big snow year since '00/01. The Tooth is part of Sugarbush legend. Folks know about it in Manhattan who haven't been to the 'bush in years. A former top-rated ski resort hangout put to pasture? You can't put down our own answer to the Wobbly Barn like an old dog. Do something about it! The phoenix bar is getting all the action.

The BT will be a money maker just as soon as the 'Bush is put back on the map, right? Come on now, what are we supposed to do when the urge to apres ski becomes an urge to be 25 again? Claybrook buyers will want the tooth. Locals still go there. Weekend warriors go there. Anyone looking for any kind of evening entertainment goes there.

What's driving the decision? Does it really lose that much cash? Really need the tied up capital?

Why just kill it? Can't it just limp along until better days return? Driving up that access road on a winter Saturday and seeing that place empty will be a sad day indeed.
    Yes - 4 "months" of operations and 12 months of expenses makes it tough to turn a profit - especially if those 4 months really consist of 2 big weeks and some busy weekends. What exactly constitutes getting put back on the map (you sound like you've been drinking a little too much of the marketing Kool-Aid)? Claybrook buyers will go out to dinner and drink at the drinking dining establishments in the building - what's better than being able to walk down to get a drink/dinner?

What's driving the decision? Answer: Money.

12 moths of expenses? Hah!

Tumbler -- the BT was open for four months a year. Never open all year.

You're right about the money. These Summiteers care only about the almighty dollar. They will open something closer to the new steel barn at the base. Can't have your "guests" potentially being distracted by other non-affiliated business in the Valley!

Re: 12 moths of expenses? Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead

You're right about the money. These Summiteers care only about the almighty dollar.
    I see. As opposed to every other owner of a business out there. Everyone else is in it for fun. It's those big, bad, snowmaking in March guys from Summit who are ruining everything by trying to make a dime.

They will open something closer to the new steel barn at the base. Can't have your "guests" potentially being distracted by other non-affiliated business in the Valley!
    Wrong again. The BT was owned by Summit.

Re: 12 months of expenses? Yah!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead

You're right about the money. These Summiteers care only about the almighty dollar. They will open something closer to the new steel barn at the base. Can't have your "guests" potentially being distracted by other non-affiliated business in the Valley!
    I know they were only open for 4 months - what I was trying to say is that they had 4 months of income but 12 months of expenses (taxes, depreciation, insurance etc...). I'm not trying to criticize them for caring about the bottom line either - it is supposed to be a business after all. Maybe they could rebrand it for one of the establishments at clay brook....
    Blue Tooth @ Clay Brook

In terms of location, the Blue Tooth was somewhat cursed. It was neither in what I would call a central location like The Warren store, the Den etc, nor was it at the base area proper. I'm going back a few years, but Gallagers and the MMT always seemed to do well. Not sure what the bar of choice is up there now...

They bought it about 4 years ago. Got rid of the family dining and went for the pub grub, meaning if you wanted dinner you had to go to another(company-owned) restaurant or drive to Waitsfield. When the previous guy ran it they had free popcorn and a blazing fire. But he didn't make it work cause he'd owned it for 24 years and was getting tired.

Current 'in' place is the Phoenix bar up at the village. They get bands coming through and the place gets quite packed, but it's a small odd-shaped room. They went from non-existent to 'in' place in less than 3 years.

How bad can the financial picture be? It's well-known for needing a septic overhaul and what-not. Does a business attached to Sugarbush since 1963 really have to close for good? A little cash and some attitude would bring that place alive.

So is the place for sale?

out of the "late night entertainment business"

Channel 11 broadcasted a recording of Win Smith speaking before a local community group, maybe a month ago, and this question came up from a member of the audience. Win affirmed that the parcel would be sold and was under contract for development of affordable housing. He cited Sugarbush's desire to get out of the "late night entertainment business."

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Can you explain what you mean by this? Affordable Housing at the Tooth? What is your definition?
    been valley enthusiast since 1620

Quote Originally Posted by outofshape
    Can you explain what you mean by this? Affordable Housing at the Tooth? What is your definition?
    I think it means taking the lot that the Tooth is on and building some affordable housing on it. The Blue Tooth building itself would be history.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by outofshape
    I think it means taking the lot that the Tooth is on and building some affordable housing on it. The Blue Tooth building itself would be history.
    I think the question is what price range is defined as affordable?