Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Radio license

I obtained the license, but only because I'm a lawyer and I'd rather not see my name on some list (or on the front page of the Valley Reporter!). I don't think that the FCC has done a good job explaining why the license is necessary in ski areas. That, of course, doesn't excuse not obtaining the license (even Mahatma Gandhi obtained his), but perhaps (1) the FCC could lower the fee for radios used primarily in ski areas, and (2) a purchaser could obtain the license upon purchase. The paperwork required to obtain the license is now pretty extensive.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    Sounds to me like someone is a little too attached to their toy radio.
    Naaah. Just hung up on what I see as BS govt interference/bungling.

LOL!

This is amazing. That PRA website is a hoot. Talk about having their "knickers in a twist". We can't educate our kids, the middle east is a mad house, Americans are dying and these folks are fired up about the mis-use of toy radios, that the Govt didn't care about in the first place!

Now for something important.....

Will there be another powder day this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    Sounds to me like someone is a little too attached to their toy radio.
    Naaah. Just hung up on what I see as BS govt interference/bungling.
    I didn't mean you

I suck at the interweb.

Panties in a twist indeed

Channel, schmannel - - a complete & utter waste of our tax dollars.

So sorry to those who may have their BS degree in 2way radio protocol, I'm simply using a convenient & effective & available technology to keep better tabs on my kids & family members. We don't sing into the darn things - unless we hit a monster stash of POW off Exterminator or Heaven's gate woods.

Down with blow-hards who champion futile causes and BS legislation that has zero - I repeat ZERO - benefits from its enforcement. Other than maybe their bloated view of themselves. And just for the record, rescue services use a different bandwidth so there's no issue there.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Is there a link between unlicensed FSR radio use and bad snow years in New England? If there is I will become very concerned about this issue.

The FCC did away with the marine band radio license years ago, why the perseveration about a few people yakking on Talkabouts on a chair lift?

Re: Panties in a twist indeed

Quote Originally Posted by boze
    Channel, schmannel - - a complete & utter waste of our tax dollars.

So sorry to those who may have their BS degree in 2way radio protocol, I'm simply using a convenient & effective & available technology to keep better tabs on my kids & family members. We don't sing into the darn things - unless we hit a monster stash of POW off Exterminator or Heaven's gate woods.

Down with blow-hards who champion futile causes and BS legislation that has zero - I repeat ZERO - benefits from its enforcement. Other than maybe their bloated view of themselves. And just for the record, rescue services use a different bandwidth so there's no issue there.
    I realize that you may be trying to keep in touch with your family, but I do not believe it's too much to ask to stay off of channels 15-22. By operating on those channels without a license, YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW!!! I strongly urge you to get a license. Illegal use is illegal use. There are plently of licensed users who are trying to communicate and do not want to put up with unlicensed users. Just read my website, or the PRA website, or www.gmrsweb.com or the forums at www.popularwireless.com to see that there are plenty of people who have chosen to abide by the law by purchasing the required FCC license. We are not a bunch of morons, we are people who abide by the LAW. I realize that you all believe that GMRS radios wouldn't be sold if the FCC cared about the license requirements; however, if everyone thought that way, cars, fishing rods or hunting rifles wouldn't be sold. I believe that a GMRS license is just as important as a drivers license or fishing license. Even at Sugarbush, after speaking to many people over the air regarding licensing, most people were cooperative and terminated their use of channels 15-22. As a Sugarbush lover and frequent Sugarbush visitor, I started this post to inform skiers at Sugarbush of the GMRS licensing requirement which I saw as a problem at Sugarbush. Clearly, this post does not seem to be getting anywhere. All I am asking is for unlicensed users to do us law-abiding licensed users a favor by staying off of channels 15-22 or purchasing a license.
    ltng92

ltng92@aol.com

www.gmrs.net.tc
    www.scanning.net.tc

GMRS License: WQDC539

FCC LICENSE REQUIRED TO USE CHANNELS 15-22 ON FRS/GMRS TWO-WAY RADIOS!!!

One has to wonder about someone who would have their own website dedicated to proper usage of GMRS frequencies. A bit uptight for the average MRV skier.

Also, wondering if everytime you order something over the internet with no sales tax, you then cut a check to the state of Connecticut for the use tax you owe. If you don't, you are BREAKING THE LAW.

Do you ever drive over 65 MPH?

If so you are BREAKING THE LAW!

What a bunch of drivel!

Quote Originally Posted by ltng92
    I believe that a GMRS license is just as important as a drivers license
    You're kidding right? I don't think anyone is going to die if you use the radio improperly.

I suggest you go "bug" the larger resorts about their use of GMRS radios. There is WAY more traffic on the radios at larger resorts (more people) than in the MRV. We are only a scratch on the surface. I for one, only use channels 10-13 and their subchannels, so I am not affected by this, but I do think your fight is pretty worthless here. Its not like skiing isn't expensive enough!

dave

Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by ltng92
    I realize that you may be trying to keep in touch with your family, but I do not believe it's too much to ask to stay off of channels 15-22. By operating on those channels without a license, YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW!!! I strongly urge you to get a license. Illegal use is illegal use. There are plently of licensed users who are trying to communicate and do not want to put up with unlicensed users. Just read my website, or the PRA website, or www.gmrsweb.com or the forums at www.popularwireless.com to see that there are plenty of people who have chosen to abide by the law by purchasing the required FCC license. We are not a bunch of morons, we are people who abide by the LAW. I realize that you all believe that GMRS radios wouldn't be sold if the FCC cared about the license requirements; however, if everyone thought that way, cars, fishing rods or hunting rifles wouldn't be sold. I believe that a GMRS license is just as important as a drivers license or fishing license. Even at Sugarbush, after speaking to many people over the air regarding licensing, most people were cooperative and terminated their use of channels 15-22. As a Sugarbush lover and frequent Sugarbush visitor, I started this post to inform skiers at Sugarbush of the GMRS licensing requirement which I saw as a problem at Sugarbush. Clearly, this post does not seem to be getting anywhere. All I am asking is for unlicensed users to do us law-abiding licensed users a favor by staying off of channels 15-22 or purchasing a license.
    This post makes me want to buy one of those radios so I can use channels 15 - 22 without a license!

Losers who fail to get a GMRS license.

Ah yes the old "they'll never find me agrument".... "why do I need a license"..... "they are only little toys"......

Good God. Grow up! Be adults!

You get a GMRS license because.... It is the daggone law! That is why.

Society has rules you are expected to follow. You don't have the option of selecting which of those rules you follow and which of them you do not. It doesn't work that way.

Either get a license or stay on the low-power channels that are license free.

I read it, and I still call BS. I'm not some wahoo interfering with legit enterprises or activities. I'm just trying to keep in touch with friends and family within a 5 mile radius.
    Hmm, So your saying you follow proper operating procudures. Before every transmission you listen (open squelch/monitor) for other people using the channel? The key is open squelch to make sure someone else isnt using the same channel but differant privacy code.

If the FCC was really serious and concerned about this, then either the license would be required at the point-of-sale or they would mandate that those radios can't access channels 15-22. Since they've done neither, I have a hard time understanding why I should go out of my way to comply when my activities impact a grand total of no one and are not for commercial/financial gain.
    Hmm, Your car can go over the 65mph speed limit on the nations highways, so I guess since the government doesnt put govonvers on your cars its ok to speed? The rules have been stated, the laws are in place you should not have to have devices to enforce them, you should be able to restrict your own actions.

Regardless, what's the difference between licensed users utilizing these channels for weekend skiing and unlicensed users doing so? How exactly does this create additional, if any, chaos? It's a ridiculous statute and state of affairs, and happens to be quite unenforceable. I applaud your efforts to keep the limited bandwidth we have free of interference etc.., but the skiing population who uses GMRS radios is really the wrong group to be targetting with this information campaign. I think most people will just laugh at it.
    Hnm, skiing populating is the wrong group, WHO is the right group to let them know they are operating illegal?
    Heck skiing may be the perfect group, your up on a mountain and YOUR signals are going to travel further than some hunter at ground level.