Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heavy Snow Warning

NOAA just posted a HSW for Washington County till 6am sun. 6" to 14"!!!!!

My pick of the day for Sunday morning [and this am as well] is Spillsville! The way the wind is blowing at the moment Ripcord will be a sheet of ice and Spillsville will have 2 feet! One side of my driveway has a foot plus this am and the other side is gravel. If you know where to go in the woods it could be a lot of fun. I am sure that Arc1 and his wife will know where to go.

Have fun out there today and tomorrow. I know I will - if the lifts are spinning?

There should be some major drift shots. I just plowed through a 3 footer at the end of my road. Wind seems to calming down abit. Time to boot up. Have fun

ME: Windhold Windhold Windhold

I saw a lot of going up the access rd and a lot of going back down the access rd.

Just got off the mountain.

Asked a ton of people. The lines were not a surprise to anyone, at that point, but almost all (OK, all but 1.) said that they had a good to great time.

And the above posts about it being a one side of the trail day, were correct. The one who said that conditions sucked agreed that there was powder on one side of the trails. If you chose to ski the other side... I'm sorry you chose so badly.

Now... if we could just turn that fan off...
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

So where were the forecasts??

Happy to have the snow - no doubt. Just wish some schmoo who studies the weather all day had some idea this was heading our way. Kinda like last weekend when no one saw the 20"+ for the weekend. Now I am sitting on my a$$ in CT and not in VT where I should be.
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Knee to waist deep

If you seached you could find knee to waist deep. Exterminator Woods this morning was epeic. Pillows of DEEP snow to drop off of. What a weekend

Remember that thing about March being the snowest month...........

Click here for some photos from the weekend.

Enjoy!

John

Awesome pics, John

Glad you folks had the gumption to trot up the hill for the freshies - and what freshies those look like!!

"March fourth" indeed!
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

Not much trotting up, more trotting across. Thanks Hardy!

Speaking of the H., anybody catch him jamming some Jimi in the Castlerock Pub? Nice licks and a good way to top off a sweet day.

John
    www.catamounttrail.org

Question -

I was in St. John (yay! Caribbean!) for a little over a week, the period in which all of this recent snow came... got home last night, and now I'm looking and the window, and wondering... where is the snow? I see about 3 crusty inches outside my house. That's about it. It couldn't all have just blown away, could it? Talking to people back home, I was under the impression that it was positively dumping even down in the valleys... hmm...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Question -

I was in St. John (yay! Caribbean!) for a little over a week, the period in which all of this recent snow came... got home last night, and now I'm looking and the window, and wondering... where is the snow? I see about 3 crusty inches outside my house. That's about it. It couldn't all have just blown away, could it? Talking to people back home, I was under the impression that it was positively dumping even down in the valleys... hmm...
    It was very fluffy snow. A lot of it blew around. And then the sun shone down on Sunday and compacted everything in its path.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Question -
    I was under the impression that it was positively dumping even down in the valleys... hmm...
    It was an extreme example of orographics and microclimates. This slope hammered the western slopes of the Northern and North Central Green Mountains. From Abraham to Stark, the ridgeline got close to two feet. The western slope valleys got hammered as well. As soon as you got east of the ridge, the snow "disappeared"

Sunday morning I was in the corral when Heaven's gate opened. Went directly into Hughies (sp) was first in with my son and had multiple feet of fresh. I then dropped him off at Blazers and figured a Slide Brook was worth a shot since I was at the bottom of Gatehouse. I was surprised to find 4", maybe. But then it made sense. Take a look at the ridgeline photo in the Flash app on the SB site. You can see the difference in the snow loading on the trees and it isn't just elevation

There was 5" of windslab in my yard on german flats saturday am. Headed over to Castlerock & it seemed bottomless.....bottomless for this season.

Good Times!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Those are amazing pix!

I was working that day, and hiking along the Long Trail is... a little beyond where they wanted me to guide.

Still, it wasn't all that bad at the rock.

Check out the first two pages of my MSN album.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.