Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I took the Bethel Mountain Road this past weekend on my way up to the Valley. Very nice. The views were fantastic. Unfortunately, my children got a little woozy (car sick) going up with all the twists and turns so I'm not sure I'll be taking that route again unless I'm alone. I'm glad I took it, however.

On a related matter, when I came up to the Valley in mid-April I took what I thought was the Roxbury Gap Rd. by getting off I-91 at Exit 5 and took Route 64 to Route 12 to 12A thru Roxbury. It was a nice drive but when I got to the crest of the ridge (or gap) I expected to see that panoramic view of both Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen that is in the Sugarbush promotional materials (and on their website).

I saw a great view but not that view. Did I not take the correct Roxbury Gap route? Part of the road I took was a dirt road but I can't remember the name of the road I took. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jeff

You took the Roxbury Gap Rd (Warren Mtn Rd, when you are East-going-west...) alright. Trees obscure what was once an awesome view. However....I am not convinced that panoramic shot you picture in your head was taken from that location. If Win/others don't know for fact, I will call the photographer- maybe S_R_O knows that shot location.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

madskier, can you post a link to such a photo?

The best multi-mountain views I know of are from along East Warren Road, also out Common Road to Waitsfield Common. You can see all three ski areas and Camel's Hump, if you want.

If this is the view your talking about it is not from Roxbury Gap but further north.

With some help from Google Earth I can only guess that it is from the northeast so maybe the Bragg Hill area or further away from there.

This is the view from Rox Gap

I assume this image is Dennis Curren's or Sandy Macy's and they are the only people who can tell you where it's from for sure. Hope this helps.
    After further thought I don't think you can see LP from Bragg Hill, too close, I am going to guess it was shot from North Rd area perhaps abit above the road on the flanks of Waitsfield or Scragg Mts. Again I'm just guessing. John A. might know, maybe he will post.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Yes, the first picture in S_R_O's post was the view I had pictured in my head. S_R_O's 3rd picture (from Google Earth) was the view I saw. Still a great view but not the first shot. At least now I know that I went the right way. Thanks for the information!
    Jeff

Just a note to anyone using only Google Earth -
    NASA Worldwind is another free program that allows to you navigate through aerial and satellite image of the globe - it offers hi-res data of all of Vermont, (1 m/pixel, much better than Google Earth, though it's black and white) that provide very sharp, clear views of the ski hills and probably your house. I'm sure many of you know about it already, but in case you don't, the link is http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/source...1.3.5_Full.exe
    Excellent program, highly recommended.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Thanx Strat. I'll give it a try.

Dialup warning: This is a 60M download, so it might take a while.

Ahh... the pleasures of DSL.

On the pic, Vt ski bum thougtht it might be an arial view. I was with him, but the trees in the foreground on the PDF off the Claybrook site:
    http://www.lincolnpeakvillage.com/ez...rtWinter06.pdf
    tell me it is a ground pic.

I'm thinking of East Warren Road or Common Road. I can definitely see both mountains, but I think most seem to show South more fully. Hard to tell, as somebody seems to have stolen all the snow!

I was thinking, as I drove along there, today, tho, what a lovely place to live.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Could from the top of Palmer hill Rd. Near the octagon house.