Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bethel Mountain Road

Gotta get from WRJ this weekend to Middlebury. Anyone driven this road lately? How is it? Is it easy to find and drive over? Mapquest lists this as the route to use

If you're getting on, on the Bethel side, I believe it is Camp Brook Road. It is pretty easy to get thru in good weather, but haven't tried it in bad weather. Quite the hills, but pretty sure it is paved all the way. Easy to follow. One turn, and that is at a stop sign with a sign saying to Rochester. Very pretty views.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Like Lostone said, if weather is decent, it would be fine. I have to believe that with the freeze/thaw garbage we have had the road may be a bit "bumpy"- not unlike any of our roads are right now! Which brings me to a pet peeve. Why does AOT now post "bump" signs? What happened to the Frost Heave signs I grew up with. Did too many visitors think it meant an ice cream stand ahead? I only ever see Frost Heave signs in the NEK, but they too are morphing into bump signs.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Go through Bethel on rt 12. Long straight(chevy dealer). Big turn to rt, big turn to left, about 2 miles from Chevy dealer, Camp Brook rd is on left. There is a grass triangle with trees at the intersection. Rd is paved all the way. Most of the rd was repaved 1 1/2 years ago. Rd has been in good shape. At stop sign make left to Rochester. Right on Rt 100 to Hancock. Left on Rt 125 to East Middlebury. Be carefull when get about a mile or 2 past the Breadloaf summer campus. A lot of very sharp turns. Make right on Rt 7 to Middlebury.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Which brings me to a pet peeve. Why does AOT now post "bump" signs?
    This year they should post the sections that have no bumps. They would save a lot of $$$ on signs. LOL

Just got back home from my trek. Whoa Why did I not know about that route? SO MUCH more scenic than the other way. INCREDIBLE views at the top of K-mart and Pico. Reminds me of Lincoln Gap a little bit. Road was not bad at all either. Thanks for the help folks!

How was Middlebury Gap(125). Getting a little bumped up?

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy
    How was Middlebury Gap(125). Getting a little bumped up?
    That road was really bad...very rough compared to what I remember. They now are posting it as restricted to tractor trailers.

This year they should post the sections that have no bumps. They would save a lot of $$$ on signs. LOL
    So you're driving along, and the sign says "Good road next 1/4 mile"?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I saw lots and lots of Frost Heave signs on 125 this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    I saw lots and lots of Frost Heave signs on 125 this weekend.
    PHEW! I thought they were heading to extinction. Probably used up all the Bump signs already. Frost heaves are like a reward for making it thru winter driving. They make a grand appearence, receive appropriate oooohs and ahhhhhhs then quietly fade away surrounded by appropriate muffler and shroud carnage. Bumps are just holes that need repair or cold patch.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

frost heaves

When I was in college a few decades ago I spent my sophomore year in Frost Hall. I am sure you can understand the natural urge to have one of those signs in pretty much everyroom and to collect them as well.

Driving the roads in Vermont is an adventure against mother nature. In recent years I remember Rt 12 between Bethel and Randolph and 12A to Roxbury as being really bad. The Bristol side of App Gap. Thankfully these roads have been repaved. It's amazing how roads go from frost heave after frost heave to almost smooth(Vermont standards) just by letting mother nature do her thing. I also remember the access rd to Bolton being real bad too. You know a road is bad when the holes caused by frost heaves year after year have 2 maybe 3 repair patches on top of it.

Now if ya want to talk about bad roads in Vermont, who can remember what Rt 100 looked like south of Warren after the rains/floods of June 24/26th, the weekend of the Ben/Jerry's One World/One Heart Concert back a few years ago? We had a mini Katrina right here in the Mad River Valley. Boy, I miss those concerts.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Bethel Mountain Road

I'm looking at the route from Middlebury to the MRV. What is the difference between the Lincoln Gap Road and Rte. 17? Or is there a better way? We are doing a snow dance here in N.E. Pa.

The main diference at the moment is that Lincoln Gap is closed in the winter, rightfully so. It's very narrow, steep and dirt a good chunk of the way. You can do either the Rt 17 way or Rt 125 to Hancock then up Rt 100. If it was me I would try both as I have no preference but if MRG is your destination the Rt 17 would be shorter.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Bethel Mountain Road

Thanks for the information. We are staying and skiing at Sugarbush. I was just looking for a different/better route than traveling through Rutland.