Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Bethel Mountain Road

Quote Originally Posted by skicone
    I'm looking at the route from Middlebury to the MRV. What is the difference between the Lincoln Gap Road and Rte. 17? Or is there a better way? We are doing a snow dance here in N.E. Pa.
    Route 17 is much more steeper and windier than Rte 125. It is also much more direct than 125. Do not attempt either in bad weather. Nota bene: Governor Douglas commutes over Route 17, so it is almost always "spotless" in terms of snow

I used to go from Middlebury College to Sugarbush. 31 miles door to door via Route 17.

I was just looking for a different/better route than traveling through Rutland.
    You could try Rt 30 north to Rt 73 west over Brandon Gap.

Or, Rt 3 north to Rt 7 north to Rt 73 west.

Or, Rt 22A north to Rt 17 west.

Which ever way you go. It will be different, but it may not be the best.

Bethel Mountain Road

Thanks for the replies. We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club, and are skiing at Sugarbush 3/2-6. To get a different, and possibly more scenic view, I thought to drive up the western side and then over the top,rather than the eastern route up Rte. 100. We'll return using Rte. 100. Time is not of the essence on the way up. Which way is more scenic? Hoping for snow.

Thanks for the replies. We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club, and are skiing at Sugarbush 3/2-6. To get a different, and possibly more scenic view, I thought to drive up the western side and then over the top,rather than the eastern route up Rte. 100. We'll return using Rte. 100. Time is not of the essence on the way up. Which way is more scenic? Hoping for snow.
    Rt 30 is the least traveled of the 3 and is a decent road. Rt 7 is the busiest. To be honest all three are pretty scenic.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Take Rt 30 by Lake Bomoseen. Rt 73 Brandon Gap. IMO the best scenic views this time of year.

We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club:

So, you guys are from France and drink beer a six pack at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy
    We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club:

So, you guys are from France and drink beer a six pack at a time
    No....I bet they have to holler to each other when discussing secret things like stashes and backcountry trails...If that doesn't make any sense, then you must be well under 40... Us oldies will remember when that show was in black & white.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

We'll have to introduce you to Agent 99, Max, and the Chief. Our motto is " Whatever happens in the 'Cone stays in the 'Cone " Vegas ripped us off years ago. As far as snow is concerned here in N.E.Pa. there is NO SNOW in the woods. In fact grass is greening and golfers are looking forward to an early ( NOW ) season. I infer from the replies that crossing any Gap is weather dependent and the choice is between Rte.17 and Rte.73

Yup, either way is fine except...if you do Brandon Gap you will end up back on Rt 100 the rest of the way, same old, same old. If you do App Gap you go thru Bristol and past MRG, Bristol is an interesting town with a, delightful, trying to be hip bakery/cafe. For alittle more local flavor their is/was a nice little diner past Bristol. Can't for the life of me remember the name, think it might be the Squirral Cage? Noski, alittle help here.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Yup, either way is fine except...if you do Brandon Gap you will end up back on Rt 100 the rest of the way, same old, same old. If you do App Gap you go thru Bristol and past MRG, Bristol is an interesting town with a, delightful, trying to be hip bakery/cafe. For alittle more local flavor their is/was a nice little diner past Bristol. Can't for the life of me remember the name, think it might be the Squirral Cage? Noski, alittle help here.
    If it is the one I am thinking of, the Squirrel's Nest, a google search uncovers the following...."Pursuant to Judgement Order and Decree of Foreclosure...". Nuff said?
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    If it is the one I am thinking of, the Squirrel's Nest, a google search uncovers the following...."Pursuant to Judgement Order and Decree of Foreclosure...". Nuff said?
    I too did a Google search but since I can't spell Squirrel, as you can see, I went the Bristol>restaurant route and came up with zilch. I don't get over that way much anymore and used to be a semi regular customer when I was on the road selling my poster. Love them old New England diners. Not surprised their business suffered after I moved.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Squirrel's Nest is GONE?

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    Squirrel's Nest is GONE?
    I know..would have been a cool place to have your wedding reception
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Squirrel's Nest is GONE?
    How did you guess, SRO? Actually, I was thinking of doing it at that infamous pub at the intersection of 17 and 100.

Squirrel's Nest is GONE?
    How did you guess, SRO? Actually, I was thinking of doing it at that infamous pub at the intersection of 17 and 100.
    The wife and I had ours at Betsy's place the Mad River Barn Inn, good time was had by all.
    Sugarbusher since 1970