Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What's an "interesting" position?

I apologize if you came here thinking the post was about something more exciting.

For the past 2/3 weeks I have been abit dismayed because the valley webcam has been down. I PM'd Noski a couple of weeks ago but got no response. Knowing Noski personally I knew she was most certainly working on the problem. Today I noticed a new message "Webcam is being moved to a more “interesting” vantage point". See, as long as you have faith in someone it's all good in the end.

This got me thinking as to where this new "interesting" view might be. I liked the current(soon to be former) view as I have alot of kinship with the Loop Rd, aka Old County Rd. I could tell how much snow had fallen during a storm plus every once awhile I saw a friend drive by and knew I could wait a few minutes and call them therefore blowing their minds on how I knew where they were a couple of moments ago. No, I don't sit hours on end watching it. OK, maybe I did spend alittle more time than I should....

So, what do guys think this new and more interesting view will be? In my head I came up with some crazy ideas...love to get a bunch of those. Serious to semi-serious is welcome too. For some of you more creative thinkers don't let the fact that you might have no clue where it is located stop you from replying.

It's located on the Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce building just as you heading out, going north, of Waitsfield Village on the east side. A beautiful historic building named for some guy named Col Wait. I think? Here is a link to it's current status www.madrivervalley.com

I am going to defer the wacky possibilites to others, although might share if people actually reply, and say, on a pole away from the building in the back to capture the icon view of the church, the one with the beautiful backside thanks to noski et al, and Mt Ellen. While this will certainly improve the scenic value it won't do anything for showing the snow amounts a road does.

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Cam is moving

So, from the zillions of suggestions, the camera is moving to its new home at the end of today (2/16)..... See if you can figure out where it is tomorrow. It is in test mode right now looking outside the webmaster's office.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

new cam position

The new view is awesome but personally I liked the view of the road and seeing friends pass by from time to time. As far as figuring out the location...hmmmmm, it appears to be in the same general direction as the original spot and knowing your high ranking in the church hierarchy I am going to say somewhere on YOUR church, top of the steeple?
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Re: new cam position

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    The new view is awesome but personally I liked the view of the road and seeing friends pass by from time to time. As far as figuring out the location...hmmmmm, it appears to be in the same general direction as the original spot and knowing your high ranking in the church hierarchy I am going to say somewhere on YOUR church, top of the steeple?
    Nope, not even close, baby. I am anxious to watch a sunrise on a clear morning. Should be a sweet picture. You can sure see the wind blowing though!

I don't really like the new location. It's too dark and it's a view of things that don't move (apart from a few clouds). I think a web cam should show a scene that is changing more or less constantly. Otherwise, why not just put up a still picture?

Quote Originally Posted by KingM
    I don't really like the new location. It's too dark and it's a view of things that don't move (apart from a few clouds). I think a web cam should show a scene that is changing more or less constantly. Otherwise, why not just put up a still picture?
    We are waiting for a better weather day to decide if it works there. When it was clear a little while ago there was decent detail on the foreground. We'll keep an eye on it. If you think of a location with dsl and power that has a decent view let me know!

one more guess

Okay..it's definately from the northeast and going by your DSL mention I am going to say the roof of the Waitsfield Telecom bldg.

I have to admit I agree with King. I realize the amount of snow on the trees will change and the spring, summer anf especially fall the trees will be diferent but I think more things like a road would be cool. No question this view will yield come incredible sunrises. The Wyoming DOT has about 40 live webcams around the state including the one I check on Teton Pass and all of them include a road...course they are the DOT.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

I think it's at Lostone's house.

Quote Originally Posted by daevious
    I think it's at Lostone's house.
    Ah geeze, now Lostone will get all paranoid. Nope, not there either, nor the top of the Telecom building. Maybe next week I will give you longitude and latitude and a clue or two. I am lobbying for a summer camera shot from the steeple (where it is NOT now) aimed at Bridge Street/river bend/covered bridge. You can watch the kids jump off the bridge. Then you'll know it's a hot day.

webcam

You might not care for where the webcam is (see www.madrivervalley.com) but it is showing something today you might like. That is not fog, by the way....

Well that's a site for sore eyes.

BTW, where can I find the link to skiMRV on the MRV website these days? I couldn't find it after a few minutes of searching, but that is likely just my own stupidity.

Edit: It was. I now see it's prominently displayed on www.madriver.com and not on www.madrivervalley.com where I had been searching. Might it make sense to add a link on the Alpine Skiing page of the latter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Well that's a site for sore eyes.

BTW, where can I find the link to skiMRV on the MRV website these days? I couldn't find it after a few minutes of searching, but that is likely just my own stupidity.

Edit: It was. I now see it's prominently displayed on www.madriver.com and not on www.madrivervalley.com where I had been searching. Might it make sense to add a link on the Alpine Skiing page of the latter?
    Color that "Done". It is at the end of the Alpine descriptive text. I cannot put a stand-alone listing and link since it is chamber members only that you see on the site. This is my compromise. When the site updates later today it will be there. Good suggestion, Tin. Snow is decreasing right now, but it was a refreshing change.

Revisit this topic

Can we revisit this topic? I have some questions:

Do you want a MRV webcam?
    Would you want to have a different location summer vs winter? If so, what do you want to see?
    What is it about a MRV webcam you would find valuable? (weather, nostalgia, etc)

I know what I want, but I don't want to presume to know what you want.

Webcam

I look at it to confirm NOAA/NWS weather reports, and also to see snow and feel better! I really don't care much about a non-winter camera. I'd stick it on top of Clay Brook. Check out the Jackson Hole website--webcam on top of the Four Seasons, right at the base (also cams at a few other places up the mountain, but let's see the base cam first).

I too would love to see it at the LP base but also realize it is the MRV cam not the Sugarbush cam. Since the cam is sponsored by the MRV chamber means it represents all the member businesses in the valley. Perhaps a location with those perameters in mind would be best....but that's me.

The best possible solution would be to have 2 cams. It would be 3 except Eric already has one for his place. The Bush needs to put one at the LP base and the chamber could have one with more of a valley/village view.

As I mentioned in my first post, when it was on the chamber building looking at Rt 100 I checked it probably everyday now rarely. Fourwide mentioned the JH cams...have you seen this one for Teton Pass on the Wyoming DoT site. You can check cams all over the state and see what's going on weatherwize.
    http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...TetonPass.html
    Sugarbusher since 1970