Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Madskier- et al.... Steve has updated the homepage of www.madrivervalley.com with instructions- detailed instructions- on what to do if you can't view the cam. Madskier, also- please give feedback on how you did on the user end (were instructions good/easy).

Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Madskier- et al.... Steve has updated the homepage of www.madrivervalley.com with instructions- detailed instructions- on what to do if you can't view the cam. Madskier, also- please give feedback on how you did on the user end (were instructions good/easy).
    It worked!! Thank you. The instructions were good and very easy to follow. Now I can get my fix of views of the Valley.

Now that I can see the view (which is a good view), I can add something to the discussion on where to place the cam. I agree that the Airport would be a cool location in the Summer and Fall. As for the Winter, a view from one of the mountain bases would be good. Lincoln Peak (from the roof of Clay Brook) would be my first choice. Last year ('04-05) I always enjoyed seeing the view from the Mount Ellen base as you could see whether it was snowing on the mountain and whether it was crowded or not.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by madskier6
    Quote Originally Posted by noski
    It worked!! Thank you. The instructions were good and very easy to follow. Now I can get my fix of views of the Valley.

Now that I can see the view (which is a good view), I can add something to the discussion on where to place the cam. I agree that the Airport would be a cool location in the Summer and Fall. As for the Winter, a view from one of the mountain bases would be good. Lincoln Peak (from the roof of Clay Brook) would be my first choice. Last year ('04-05) I always enjoyed seeing the view from the Mount Ellen base as you could see whether it was snowing on the mountain and whether it was crowded or not.
    While we could hope for an on-mountain cam, there is no chance that this would happen without the complete agreement of the administration. Apparently, it's quite a touchy issue up there... all I can say I guess is that it would be mighty difficult to convince everybody up there that it's a good idea...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    While we could hope for an on-mountain cam, there is no chance that this would happen without the complete agreement of the administration. Apparently, it's quite a touchy issue up there... all I can say I guess is that it would be mighty difficult to convince everybody up there that it's a good idea...
    I wonder why that is? What's the harm in letting people see what's really going on up there? We can use the MRG cam anyway, which is at a roughly similar elevation. Seems a little silly not to have one, unless it's some sort of large expense or technical undertaking (which I doubt given that MRG has one).

That seems very odd to me as well

Hmmmm--can't imagine why the admin. would be against a base cam (unless, of course, they'd instead rather have us rely solely on those, what's the right phrase??--"creative, well-written"-- online snow reports???).

I'm optomistic that the openess and good communicaions that the Bush has extended will migrate to this mystery. I feel confident that in the near future the Bush will be forthcoming with their plans, or lack of interest, in putting a base cam at LP. I too enjoyed the cam at ME and even used it as a vauluable up-to-the-second informational resource in answering questions for guests.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

As far as the snow reports, the word I heard, and agree with was that this year most of the reports were conservative.

There were a number (Not enough) days when they would say something like 6" and there would be obviously more.

The (not enough) doesn't mean I think they were "creative" more, but that there weren't enough powder days last season.

But when would there be?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Base cam

A LP base cam will both show weather conditions real time and (maybe more important) will show how much is going on at the base. The cam could be positioned facing north or south, likely somewhere on the Claybrook structure, aimed either at Gatehouse lift base or Super Bravo lift base, catching the action in between the new lodge and Claybrook. Again, check out the Jackson Hole base cam--it shows the gondola base and a lift base. Lots of action--gets the viewer pumped up!

Ideally, it would be situated on the North end of the Claybrook structure, over-looking the courtyard between it and the lodge, as well as the Super Bravo base and up towards the top of LP. You would get a feel for base area activity, the short liftlines at SB (in stark contrast to neighbors to the north and south), and the weather up on the hill. I really can't see any downside to having a cam in place - it's mind-boggling.

It wasn't all that long ago that the camera was at South.
    I believe they moved it just before things got rolling for the "Lodge at Lincoln Peak".
    Probably just wanted to get that expensive little toy out of harms way.
    Or maybe it was part of mgmt's continuing effort to revive North?
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

I thought it moved due to the plan to open North first and close it last.

I still say that was not a good place for it.

When I worked in Mass, I used to keep a page open at it when it was at South. You could see the people wandering around the base area, and it also had shots of Spring Fling and a few other places. (Waterfall?)

South is just so much more of a resort base.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

The reason for not having the webcam (from the marketing/sales perspective) is (IMHO the rather obvious fact) that they don't want people to check the cam, see wind or other adverse conditions, and not come buy lift tickets. Obviously this downside can be refuted, but I believe that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    The reason for not having the webcam (from the marketing/sales perspective) is (IMHO the rather obvious fact) that they don't want people to check the cam, see wind or other adverse conditions, and not come buy lift tickets. Obviously this downside can be refuted, but I believe that's about it.
    To sort of trick people into driving up from Burlington, for example, so they can buy a lift tik is not very good for customer relations and is something I don't think the Bush would do. I also think the cam would not be very telling as far as wind hold on the upper mountain lifts anyway. Lostone made a great point about the Bush under reporting snow conditions which I agree with 100%. I think during the ASC days the Bush had gotten a rep for over reporting and Summit was basically overcorrecting to change that mentality.

Guessing the reasons is not very productive so I for one will simply wait for the Bush to weigh in on this question sometime in the future.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Guessing the reasons is not very productive so I for one will simply wait for the Bush to weigh in on this question sometime in the future.
    Very true - my postulate's probably wrong, and I don't really like dispersing negative assertions anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    When I worked in Mass, I used to keep a page open at it when it was at South. You could see the people wandering around the base area, and it also had shots of Spring Fling and a few other places. (Waterfall?)
    I always felt bad for that poor dejected guy sitting in front of the season's pass office waiting for his friends. They never came all winter
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce