Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This place is dull in summer, other then foliage in the winter youmight as well visit the middle of the atlantic then MRV
    I'm having a flashback!

I grew up (OK, spent my childhood. ) (Well, the years that were supposed to contain the childhood? ) in a very small town. How small? This area is like a metropolis.

We had a maximum winter population of 115, 13 of which was our family. In the summer, there were people who would come up from NYC and NJ, to spend the summer.

It was a constant thing to hear the kids who were "stuck" there asking how we could live in such a boring place. We did a lot of things. We were used to the fact that we were responsible for making our own entertainment.

After I got out of the air force, I moved to the Boston area, and I was out partying every night. But as time goes on, the job takes most of that time and I found that all my time was working, eating, sleeping, ... rinse, lather repeat.

I moved up here to get away from that life. And I have so much to do that I wonder how I ever found the time (and inclination) to work.

But to your statement about the place being dull and boring... I'd change that to relaxing.

But as for there being nothing to do, my question would be the same as it was back then. What do you want to do? And then, what are you doing to work toward that goal?

Last summer, I hiked, biked, swam and explored. I filled every moment. Quiet moments I read or (Big surprise here... I played with my computers. There are tons of things to do. You just have to either do the things that are waiting to be done, or use the time to prepare to go to the places were other things are more easily doable.

The hard part is to decide.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

In my opinion, the SB course is way overrated. Too many blind tee shots (2 and 9), awkward doglegs (3--ugh, 14--double ugh) and boring holes (1 and 18, for instance). It's not a terrible course, just overrated. Just not a great piece of property to work with.

I haven't played the Stowe course--any input?

We come up only a few times in the spring/summer/fall--golf at home.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by l21logan99
    This place is dull in summer, other then foliage in the winter youmight as well visit the middle of the atlantic then MRV
    I am wondering if l21logan99 is teen who lives here....? That is a possibility. There are local, and long-time concerns over the lack of organized, supervised, safe activities for local teens. The rural/remote nature of our geography makes it hard to move kids around and keep them on "the right track".
    Being the father of 2 soon to be teens this issue comes up 24/7. I do not think that it is a "rural/remote" problem, it is a national problem. Our impact is felt because we are a small close knit town. It's been a tough week, and hopefully some will see it is not worth it. But, there ARE things to do with your teens, if you WANT. The best thing you can do is be part of it, but that doesn't always work in the real or OUR perfect world.

Plowboy

Quote Originally Posted by l21logan99
    I am wondering if l21logan99 is teen who lives here....? That is a possibility. There are local, and long-time concerns over the lack of organized, supervised, safe activities for local teens. The rural/remote nature of our geography makes it hard to move kids around and keep them on "the right track".
    Hit the nail on the head... no tourist kid would complain about lack of things to do in the summer; if they're coming up here, their parents will definitely have lots of things for them to do.

It's true that there is fairly little "to do" in the summer, but in reality there isn't that much "to do" anywhere. Most of the time, especially with teens, it's not so much what you're doing, it's who you're doing it with. A teen with a good group of friends is going to have just as much fun swimming in the river and mountain biking as one with the same friends who goes to movie theaters and restaurants in NYC... just my $.02, being a Valley teen...

Oh, and as for organized, supervised, safe activities for teens in the Valley - sorry noski, but keep dreaming; the day that teens will want to participate in supervised, "safe" summer activities will be the day that the Mad River dries up...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Oh, and as for organized, supervised, safe activities for teens in the Valley - sorry noski, but keep dreaming; the day that teens will want to participate in supervised, "safe" summer activities will be the day that the Mad River dries up...
    Ah, kid, you're breakin' this mom's heart!
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Ah, kid, you're breakin' this mom's heart!
    Haha... it's true though... teens (especially the ones who might be involved in some, ahem, *unsafe* activities) resent authority to the max and would hate to have to be supervised and herded... they have enough of that at school already, the summer's the break from that...

I, of course, am not one of these *unsafe* teens (haha, that makes me chuckle), but I'm gone for quite a bit of most every summer, so maybe I'm not one to speak for the aforementioned category of kids - but I do come into contact with them pretty much daily in the academic setting, so I think I know what I'm talking about...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

I remember being in Conway, Wales several years ago, sitting in an absolutely gorgeous medieval walled city with a fabulous castle looming overhead. I was eating my fish and chips and listening to a Welsh music/dance group as the sun went down and feeling the thrill of being in a magical place at a magical moment. Three local teenage girls were hanging out a few feet away and one of them said, "This has to be the most boring place in the whole world." The others nodded grimly.

The here and now is always boring for a teenager. They'd rather be older and somewhere else.

Good points...

Quote Originally Posted by KingM
    I remember being in Conway, Wales several years ago, sitting in an absolutely gorgeous medieval walled city with a fabulous castle looming overhead. I was eating my fish and chips and listening to a Welsh music/dance group as the sun went down and feeling the thrill of being in a magical place at a magical moment. Three local teenage girls were hanging out a few feet away and one of them said, "This has to be the most boring place in the whole world." The others nodded grimly.

The here and now is always boring for a teenager. They'd rather be older and somewhere else.
    ...and if they only knew a bit more about being "older and somewhere else".....well, who made that famous quote that youth is wasted on the young ?