Tree skiing....a question.

I know heading off from boundry or to remote access areas it's the "group of three is best buddy system" for trees. But there's some shots, at MRG at least, that are more or less in plain view or between traveled trails, where one would think heading down solo would be fine. One particular place I saw 3 or 4 single tracks down through an area, spread out, that I would guess are solo skiers.

Any thoughts / rules / protocol here ?

I suppose anytime you travel in the trees solo you are taking a chance. How does someone else know you hit a tree? Does it make any noise when you crash into a tree alone? I guess if you dip into the trees in between trails it could be harmless. Probably not a great habbit to get into.
    "If I had a magic wand and I could change skiing. I would make it exactly the way it was before snowboarding came along." G.P.

I ski those pitches solo all the time, if they're in view of a trail. I don't think patrol has any issues with it. Several times I've bumped into patrollers doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger
    I ski those pitches solo all the time, if they're in view of a trail. I don't think patrol has any issues with it. Several times I've bumped into patrollers doing the same thing.
    I don't think you would ever get in trouble skiing trees alone, even the more remote areas. It is not like skiing a closed trail where you could lose your pass, it's a question of your safety, and a suggested rule for your safety. At areas with boundary-to-boundary policies like MRG, Sugarbush, and Jay, I doubt you'd ever get in trouble merely for skiing in woods alone. That said, I think the views in this thread are pretty sensible - if it's more or less in plain view of a trail, I would (and do) ski the area alone (though often someone might know I'm in there even if he/she didn't join me), while if it's more out of the way I ensure I'm with others.
    -Kenny

Good thoughts all....

....thanks.

Put it this way...

If we lose one of you it's no great loss....

Re: Put it this way...

Quote Originally Posted by resahcevaw
    If we lose one of you it's no great loss....
    Thats just messed up, get over it already...
    Brian