Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Snowboards

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger
    I love snowboarding. I love Mad River Glen. I ski there, and snowboard elsewhere.
    The voice of reason speaks. Welcome, Treehugger!

Re: Barefeet.....and beyond....

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    And re: The Snowboards at MRG (and Alta, Taos, Deer Valley) debate , I'm spooling up Sonny and Cher's "And the beat goes on" in my CD, and leaving it on repeat play all day long.....
    How about Buddy Holly- "That'll Be The Day"? Or Cheap Trick- "I Want You to Want Me" Next....?
    And probably a dozen more....but the once great mind can't seem to find them at the moment....
    Aw come on, Smootharc..... think! Think! "Why Can't We Be Friends?" by, ironically, War.
    All right, all right....here's one to be sung by a drunk boarder at a karaoke bar at 1:45am.....it's....oh my, my age is showing, by Bread....

From "Look What You've Done"

You have taken the heart of me
    And left just a part of me,
    And look, look, look what you’ve done.
    Well, you took all the best of me,
    So come get the rest of me,
    And look back, finish what you’ve begun.

And with that, I'm done...over and out....

And re: The Snowboards at MRG (and Alta, Taos, Deer Valley) debate , I'm spooling up Sonny and Cher's "And the beat goes on" in my CD, and leaving it on repeat play all day long.....
    How about Buddy Holly- "That'll Be The Day"? Or Cheap Trick- "I Want You to Want Me" Next....?
    And probably a dozen more....but the once great mind can't seem to find them at the moment....
    Aw come on, Smootharc..... think! Think! "Why Can't We Be Friends?" by, ironically, War.
    All right, all right....here's one to be sung by a drunk boarder at a karaoke bar at 1:45am.....it's....oh my, my age is showing, by Bread....

What about Willie Nelson - Heartaches of a Fool?

It is bad enough having to read the ...

snowboard v Mad River Glen thing, over and over and...

But when you start bringing in country music...

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I feel for ya...

It's only over and over becuase of MRG...the rest of the open-minded world has already moved on.
    And you don't "have to" read it...you "choose to"...it's like bugs leaping into a fire...they can't look away and can't stop themselves. The beauty and tragedy of the internet forum.

EDIT - ...and look what the two most viewed and replied to topics in the MRG forum are...lotsa leaping bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Treehugger

Are you sure it wasn't a drunk SKIER from northern New Hampshire, who competres on the World Cup tour and does interviews on 60 Minutes??

I'm with treeskiier on this, I ski/board/tele. I'm very diverse in my snowsports, therefore I ski/tele at MRG, and do everything else everywhere else (besides MRG, Taos, Alta, and Deer Valley of course) What's so wrong about it? If you really want to ride it, I suggest you invest in a good lighting system and hike it at night and ride down (like many people have before) or, hike it at night, camp out up top, and ride down at dawn.

There are plenty of places where certain things are not allowed. Like I mentioned in another post on the same topic, what about all those people who have big SUVs who aren't allowed to park in compact car parking spaces, or the vertically challenged kids who aren't tall enough to ride the rides at Disney World?

My point is, MRG is privately owned (Co-op), and have every right to limit who they want there. If I were the owner(s) I wouldn't allow snowboarders either if everytime they got off the single they'd derail it. It makes perfect sense to me (as a sefety concern!)

Heck, I can't ski or ride at the Yellowstone Club in Montana, but you don't see me complaining! There are PLENTY of other options out there.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by resahcevaw
    Are you sure it wasn't a drunk SKIER from northern New Hampshire, who competres on the World Cup tour and does interviews on 60 Minutes??
    good one!

dave

My youngest brother, dare I say it snowboards! This is his primary choice of snow sliding for the past 8 yrs. When he wants to ski MRG he does just that. If he wants to hike and poach MRG he does so early in the season.

Next month we are going to Utah. We are hooking up with some friends who work out at the Canyons. When I mentioned road tripping, he said we have to go Alta. I said "yeh but no boards, we can just ski the Bird again this year". He was cool with that but still wants to knock off Alta. So what is he doing.....bringing his ski boots with him too!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

For your 'bro, Richie....

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    My youngest brother, dare I say it snowboards! This is his primary choice of snow sliding for the past 8 yrs. When he wants to ski MRG he does just that. If he wants to hike and poach MRG he does so early in the season.

Next month we are going to Utah. We are hooking up with some friends who work out at the Canyons. When I mentioned road tripping, he said we have to go Alta. I said "yeh but no boards, we can just ski the Bird again this year". He was cool with that but still wants to knock off Alta. So what is he doing.....bringing his ski boots with him too!
    Boarders poaching the Glen....

http://forums.alpinezone.com/modules...view_photo.php

http://forums.alpinezone.com/modules...view_photo.php

Some shots I took October 28th from Route 17 after that big dump. They were hootin' and hollering....

Maybe I should talk more S-L-O-W-L-Y....

Quote Originally Posted by "Tin Woodsman
    1) Xenophobia means fear of foreigners - how is MRG guilty of that?

2) Snowboarders choose to use that particular snowriding tool - they weren't born with it on their feet. Therefore, your racism analogy is horribly flawed. Snowboarders are 100% welcome at MRG, as long as they don't use their snowboards. Maybe you should start protesting at the 7-11 b/c they don't let people in w/o shoes. It's a slap in the face to barefoot people everywhere!
    From Merriam-Webster: fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign...get it?

The posts I am seeing here continue to amuse me and prove my point. People bending arguments in their favor and then accusing me of doing the same. All kinds of ratinalizations going on about why such elitist and exclusionary policies are OK. "I ski / tele / snowboard and do my boarding elsewhere" - good, how does that change anything? People avoiding the POINT of what I am saying and instead trying to prove I am somehow mistaken or stupid. Acting like kids caught with their hand in the cookie jar..."I didn't do it, I swear!" You are all backing up exactly what I thought about the general line of reasoning going on at MRG...closed-minded and scared of change and people who may be different. Spare me the "it's not you who are banned, it's your snowboard" comments too...we all know it is "snowboarders" that are not wanted in your little world. BP may not be there any more, but the co-op is her alter-ego and still living off her one encounter with a few out of many who happened to use "colorful language " with her. The "racism analogy" was only to make the point that a policy was enforced against an entire group of people due to the actions of a VERY few...capiche (that means, understand)? "Snowboarders are 100% welcome at MRG, as long as they don't use their snowboards" is the biggest twisting of reason I may have ever heard. Funny how MRG can have a policy that is so far in the minority among ski areas it isn't even funny, and then react to those that question it with such shock that ANYONE would dare do so. You think I have "disrespect" and "a bad attitude" towards all of you don't you? I didn't feel that way for a long time. I figured over time that MRG would move into the present like 99.9% of other ski areas. But as time went by, the more I realized that "disrespect" and "a bad attitude" were exactly what MRG skiers have towards snowboarders, it's NEVER going to change, it's embarrasing to our community (there is a big world out there folks), and the people who hold these views cling to them so strongly that they will say and do almost anything to try to prevent themselves and anyone else who may be listening from changing. I can hear the "spin" wheels grinding away already...don't bother...nobody in the real world wants to hear it.

And as for the comment "snowboarders derail the single chair" ...gimme a break!! You guys will say ANYTHING to defend your little clique, what a joke!

And one other thing - for those of you who decry this argument as "old and tired" and "nobody wants to hear it" - look what two of the most viewed and replied to topics are in this forum. That's right kiddos. It's like bugs leaping into the bright fire, they can't help themselves even though it hurts...lotsa leaping bugs around here!

Re: Maybe I should talk more S-L-O-W-L-Y....

Quote Originally Posted by resahcevaw
    And one other thing - for those of you who decry this argument as "old and tired" and "nobody wants to hear it" - look what two of the most viewed and replied to topics are in this forum. That's right kiddos. It's like bugs leaping into the bright fire, they can't help themselves even though it hurts...lotsa leaping bugs around here!
    I think the analogy of a train wreck is more appropriate...

They are privately owned, they chose a policy so shut up and live with it. You're not going to change anything by bitching and moaning.

Nice epistle! Very long winded I must say. I understand the whole argument. If you don't like it too bad. There is nothing you can do about it! Maybe call the ACLU?

Train wreck most definitely!