Valley Reporter....and others....

As an outsider looking in, I've found the VR to be an interesting read, but I've seen it mentioned at the "Valley Distorter" in numerous posts on AZ, and now here. What's up with that, and are there any alternatives ?

The VR website has some nice tidbits to follow.

Anyways, I'm curious regarding this moniker.

Re: Valley Reporter....and others....

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    As an outsider looking in, I've found the VR to be an interesting read, but I've seen it mentioned at the "Valley Distorter" in numerous posts on AZ, and now here. What's up with that, and are there any alternatives ?

The VR website has some nice tidbits to follow.

Anyways, I'm curious regarding this moniker.
    It is a moniker of affection. As with any small town paper, it has its inaccuracies, but overall is pretty good. It is generally the weekly of preference, as WDEV is the best local radio source as far as I am concerned. Not for music, but for news, current events, sports, varied, (really varied) programming. The owner is a gent in his 70s who is very progressive and the station has been in his family 75 years in 2006. Radio Free Vermont he calls his station. There is a local (Valley) radio station, but is pretty much contained in East Warren.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I love WDEV's, "broadcasting from the top of Sugarbush", morning programing.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Valley Reporter....and others....

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    It is a moniker of affection. As with any small town paper, it has its inaccuracies, but overall is pretty good. It is generally the weekly of preference, as WDEV is the best local radio source as far as I am concerned. Not for music, but for news, current events, sports, varied, (really varied) programming. The owner is a gent in his 70s who is very progressive and the station has been in his family 75 years in 2006. Radio Free Vermont he calls his station. There is a local (Valley) radio station, but is pretty much contained in East Warren.
    Wow - talk about narrow-casting.

It is not alright

you must dig
    deeper to find the distorters problems. It is run by people that are self centered and is very paticular about things that are published. There are constant errors and it abuses it employees

Logan Cooke
    MRVTV

Man, I miss Ray Burke's road reports on WDEV.

Re: It is not alright

Quote Originally Posted by l21logan99
    you must dig
    deeper to find the distorters problems. It is run by people that are self centered and is very paticular about things that are published. There are constant errors and it abuses it employees
    Logan Cooke
    MRVTV
    Are you expecting the New York Times? It's a small community and the writers for the paper are paid next to nothing.

The name Valley Distorter is more than affection. The paper has continuously printed innaccurate articles, without correcting blatant errors even when brought to their attention. They've done it to me. When I approached Lisa Loomis (editor) about just such a problem, she pushed me for a "scoop" regarding the real story, but refused to run a correction. It was a serious issue which should have at least been addressed by the paper with an apology and correction. Never happened.

Susan, I know it's your job to make things look good in/for the Valley, but please, enough sugar-coating.