Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sledding in the Valley.....

....another post mentioned the skating and sledding in the valley. And sledding had been on my mind. Could some folks indicate where some both good and allowed spots are ?

Clearwater Sports does an awesome Mad River Rocket sledding trip. Sometimes it's careening down the unplowed portion of Lincoln Gap Rd after snowshoeing up. I think it is $50 pp. If you want to rent a rocket sled and go on your own you can do that too. If you have never tried a Mad River Rocket, you really must. If I was sledding I would head to the 2nd or 3rd tee at the golf course. The putting greens are roped off- respect their sanctity. If I get a call from the Golf course, I may have to edit my post...
    (edit for grammar)
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I don't think the 3rd tee would be too great... kinda just a short dropoff from the tee to the fairway. 2nd might be better, though not really that great... the big hill on the 7th fairway might be fun... 14th also...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    I don't think the 3rd tee would be too great... kinda just a short dropoff from the tee to the fairway. 2nd might be better, though not really that great... the big hill on the 7th fairway might be fun... 14th also...
    yes, the 7th! and if you can steer, you can hook around on the cart path to the 8th. I was thinking the 2nd & 3rd tees because they are long and you can get some decent speed. And the walk back up wouldn't kill you...strap the snowshoes on your back. Strat- do you know other public areas?

I don't do golf, so I'm not sure which tee it is, but heading up West Hill Road, there are always people sledding no the holes on the left.

Ok, so maybe almost always but only in the winter?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    I don't do golf, so I'm not sure which tee it is, but heading up West Hill Road, there are always people sledding no the holes on the left.

They are starting near the putting green of the 4th hole, sledding back down toward the tee box if they stay close to the woods on sledders right. If they head more left-erly, that is to the 3rd green. Stick wit me, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone

Yup, the corner of West Hill Rd and Inferno Rd is a very popular spot. If I am arrested and interregated I will have to say lostone spilled the beans.

Another spot(not well know) is to park in the employee parking lot across from the Sugarbush Inn(don't worry they don't care who parks there) walk to the original sports center(it's now a broken down storage place) then thru the trees you will find yourself on a fairly steep hill for great sledding. We used to try to go all the way to the bottom and try to get over the bridge.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Another spot(not well know) is to park in the employee parking lot across from the Sugarbush Inn(don't worry they don't care who parks there) walk to the original sports center(it's now a broken down storage place) then thru the trees you will find yourself on a fairly steep hill for great sledding. We used to try to go all the way to the bottom and try to get over the bridge.
    Would that be the 12th hole? Oh- and the broken down storage place is the facilities department and sign shop....

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Would that be the 12th hole? Oh- and the broken down storage place is the facilities department and sign shop....
    I've always wondered about that sign shop! Heard about it many times but never got the location... do they actually sell signs? Quite interested...

As for sledding, I don't think the one you're thinking of is the 12th hole though, the hole that I'm assuming is near this sign shop (due to the buildings and condo thingies near the tee box) is the 14th I mentioned before... might want to check out the virtual yardage book on sugarbush.com...

Hmm, other public sledding... the big hill behind the Moretown School is good, and there's quite a steep hill behind Harwood known as Kerrigan's Killer (named after the long-time cross country coach) that I'm sure would be quite a fun sledding experience...
    And if you're nice you can come to my house
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Wow, guys....glad I posted....

....as that's a great bunch of info. Thanks.

If you are driving up the access rd and you look down into the employee parking lot across from the Sugarbush Inn the building next to the parking lot is shipping and receiving. Don't know anything about a sign shop selling signs, never heard of it.

Better directions....turn left right across from the entrance to the Inn(for years they never removed the old sports center sign, confused the heck out of guests). Then go left just past the shipping and receiving building and you will be in the old sports center parking lot. You will see a row of trees, go thru then you are there. I don't golf so I have no clue what hole it's near.

You can see the old sports center from the access road. Across from the Inn used to be some grass tennis courts. They turned them into a bus parking lot, next to that thru some other trees is the old sports center.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Lincoln Gap road...hike up above the road closed bar and the sledding rocks!

Those Mad River Rocket sleds look like a bunch of fun. I'll have to give one a try sometime!
    Brian

Looks like it's time for....

...the chamber of commerce to add Sledding to the winter activity list for the valley.

Re: Looks like it's time for....

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    ...the chamber of commerce to add Sledding to the winter activity list for the valley.
    It is now on tomorrow's list....