Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sugarbush and Mad River Glen to Host Ski Mountaineering Race

http://news.alpinezone.com/7007/

Great thing for the East.....

......though I don't see a category for squishy, middle-aged, semi-crumbling wanna-be's like me....

Tha'ts an interesting PR. Any idea where this race will be held? Since it's a combined SB/MRG thing, it sounds like it will start at one and end at the other. And then Egan mentions a pretty well known MRG off-piste area, so I guess we can use our imaginations on that. I wonder if it will start at South, move through Slide Brook and then North, before ending at the base of MRG? That would be one hell of a race.

From what I understand, the race starts at MRG, climbs to the summit and traverses the LT to the top of Northridge. Up to the summit, down Lower FIS to the bottom and into Slide Brook. Cross Slide Brook and climb up the road that brings you to the top of the Slide Brook lift line. Then to the top of North Lynx on the traverse. Down to the bottom of LP and then one more climb to the top. Finish at LP base. I believe this is the Pro course. Exact details are not set yet, as far as I know. My Adventure Blazer group is supposed to help set the course and GPS it, though. Pysched!

John

Here is a link to the race web page.

http://www.life-link.com/llrally.htm

I think I read somewhere it is either going to start @ ME or Mad River Glenn. Either way they will skin up use the LT/Monroe Skyline and ski down to the finish. But what the heck do I know anyway????
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

I guess atkinson knows what's going on. Like I said what the hell do know? I just deal in rumors and misinformation

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    I guess atkinson knows what's going on. Like I said what the hell do know? I just deal in rumors and misinformation
    Are you related to Lostone...?
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

This looks like a TON of fun! I may just have to do it too, only thing that would stop me is the I better stop excercising the beerceps though!

Anyone with any inside knowledge know if the avi tranceivers are really required? That would be the only thing that would limit me from doing this race! (or does anyone know where I can rent one for the weekend?)

dave

"Beerceps".....???

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman
    I better stop excercising the beerceps though!
    Another AZ/SkiMRV SAT word to add to my vocabulary. Need to think of a new one for my, uh, mini love handles. Micromidgrips, perhaps ? Anyone ?

AVI TX/RX

According to the web site, Transcievers are required

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    Are you related to Lostone...?
    Nope! I knew I saw that misinformation thing somewhere. I also plagiarize.

As for the avi-gear....it is a requirement...this race is part of a larger points series. You may be penalized for not having the required equip.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    Cross Slide Brook and climb up the road that brings you to the top of the Slide Brook lift line.
    Where does this road start exactly? There's been many questions about this before on various sugarbush forums...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

There are several roads through the area. Some are maintained and in use during the winter (be careful of snowmos and cats), some are not. The road that climbs and traverses up to Village Road and also splits to finish at the top of the liftline, starts just before the bridge at the bottom of the official tour glades. When skiing down towards the bridge look right, it's very obvious. This road forms the southern and eastern boundary of the main tour lines, if that helps to get your bearings. The intersections can be confusing, but if you generally climb and try to stay on the shoulder of the basin, you'll get up to the top of the liftline.

I don't like giving directions on websites, because of misintrepretation/ erroneous data issues. My route instructions may not be totally accurate and someone might not read them correctly. Also, the bro's don't take kindly to it and I don't blame them, but it's a packed road and not that fun to ski down. I'm sure it will make a nice speed climb for the racers though. The pros can eat up unbelieveable amounts of vert, like 4500' an hour, so this will be a spot to watch them really crank the pace. I've always liked this climb when I'm not feeling super-energetic, because it stays very mellow basically the whole way, unlike some of the other skin tracks in the Valley.

John

freeheel_skier
    I knew I saw that misinformation thing somewhere.
    Not from me.

But I do have the local copyright on the rumor thing.

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    There are several roads through the area. Some are maintained and in use during the winter (be careful of snowmos and cats), some are not. The road that climbs and traverses up to Village Road and also splits to finish at the top of the liftline, starts just before the bridge at the bottom of the official tour glades. When skiing down towards the bridge look right, it's very obvious. This road forms the southern and eastern boundary of the main tour lines, if that helps to get your bearings. The intersections can be confusing, but if you generally climb and try to stay on the shoulder of the basin, you'll get up to the top of the liftline.

I don't like giving directions on websites, because of misintrepretation/ erroneous data issues. My route instructions may not be totally accurate and someone might not read them correctly. Also, the bro's don't take kindly to it and I don't blame them, but it's a packed road and not that fun to ski down. I'm sure it will make a nice speed climb for the racers though. The pros can eat up unbelieveable amounts of vert, like 4500' an hour, so this will be a spot to watch them really crank the pace. I've always liked this climb when I'm not feeling super-energetic, because it stays very mellow basically the whole way, unlike some of the other skin tracks in the Valley.

John
    Don't worry about misinterpretation or anything, I've never actually been down there or into slide brook at all, just interested in where things are, haha... your directions are quite clear though...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)