Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please join this MRG debate to prove a point...

All of the "Snowboarders" are saying that MRG is stupid etc... Here

Well, I am "DHbiker" there and I tried to back this place up. I say that I am not "anti-snowboarder" and that i even snowboard but that this place is much better off being skiers only.

So help me/us, and whoever like MRG and would forever like to see it stay a skiers mountain, out.

"Boarders are in fact allowed at Mad River Glen. They just have to ride on skis, that's all."

THANKS!

Re: Please join this MRG debate to prove a point...

Quote Originally Posted by eatskisleep

Well, I am "DHbiker" there and I tried to back this place up. I say that I am not "anti-snowboarder" and that i even snowboard but that this place is much better off being skiers only.

So help me/us, and whoever like MRG and would forever like to see it stay a skiers mountain, out.

"Boarders are in fact allowed at Mad River Glen. They just have to ride on skis, that's all."

THANKS!

This is a boring record that has been playing for years, before most kids on that other forum were even born. The folks who own MRG
    don't, care what people say, need anyone to "back this place up" and they certainly don't need anyone's help to keep it a skiers mountain. They are strong in numbers and conviction. That's just the way it is. People, over there, or in this case children, should get over it.

If I was a co-op member of MRG I would say thanks for your support.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

It's not worth getting into it with those guys. There's just so much ignorance, plankism (racism based on plank status) and general hate that there's no way anyone's mind is going to be changed whatsoever...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Plankism ?

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    It's not worth getting into it with those guys. There's just so much ignorance, plankism (racism based on plank status) and general hate that there's no way anyone's mind is going to be changed whatsoever...

Is that an SAT word ? I'd have gotten that multiple choice wrong, thinking it was what my grilled steaks taste when I get through with them.

And, yes, broken record. There's plenty of places to ride. How about a dot-com snowboarder billionaire buying some place and making it Board only. Then we could all sleep tonight knowing the universe is in unison once again.

I Snowboard, Ski, and Telemark, and I don't have any problem with Mad River Glen not allowing any snowboarders. I would LOVE to bring my board there someday and ride there. I am satisfied with bringing my DH skiis or tele skiis there though. Like others have mentioned, if you want a snowboard only mountian, have someone go buy it.

How do you think all those SUV drivers out there think about the "Compact Car Only" parking spaces? or all the short kids who can't ride the rides at Disney World? Come on, give them a break, its their decision.

dave

Re: Plankism ?

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc

Is that an SAT word ? I'd have gotten that multiple choice wrong, thinking it was what my grilled steaks taste when I get through with them.
    Hehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman

How do you think all those SUV drivers out there think about the "Compact Car Only" parking spaces? or all the short kids who can't ride the rides at Disney World? Come on, give them a break, its their decision.

dave
    Good analogy (I think that is the right SAT word )
    Boarders are in fact allowed at Mad River Glen. They just have to ride on skis, that's all.

I was wondering when something like this was going to get going. Before going any further I am a boarder and I think MRG's prohibition against the use of snowboard is not very sporting. MRG seems like a place I would enjoy, I've never been there but seeing how I dig Castlerock so much, I pretty sure MRG would be the place for me.

But, then how to persuade the powers that be to change policies?

I guess I could make shrill demands of "discrimination" and point out inconstancies in the position that it is safety issue. Well, this has been done to death and its gotten nowhere. Why? Because its is private property. MRG has the right to restrict snowboarders. Plain and simple.

So then, should I just forsake my luscious board and put on, gulp, skis to enjoy MRG?

Heck no.(yes, I apologize for my strong language) You see, I have a plan. It's a three-parter:

(1) First, is "namecalling." I'll show you how its works. This was a post I made in AZ, refering to MRG as a "swishy" mountain where I defined swishy as:

swishy(swish-EE)adj.(1) possessing the qualities of a winter mountain resort that limits trail access to users who use two boards to descend as opposed to one; (2) possessing the qualities of a monoski. Monoskis are swishy enough that swishy mountains allow even though they would otherwise be technically excluded from trail access; (3) possessing the qualities of a darling little scarf, one you 'simply had to have' because the chartruese brought out the rustic brown of your Carhartt overalls. Ex.: The Mad River Bus isn't swishy enough for me, every time I get on it, there are all these ruffians snowboarders ignoring the fact that my chartruese scarf complements the rustic brown of my Carhartt overalls so splendidly.

Now, of course, who wants to be referred to as "swishy?" I know MRG is so flustered by my namecalling that they are nearly convinced that they should remove their snowboard ban to prove that they (and their established user group) are not swishy.

Of course there really is nothing wrong with being "swishy," (many of my friends are swishy) except when you market yourself, like MRG does, as being the antithesis of "swishy."

(2) Second, is pointing out what MRG is missing. No, not talking about more money. Rather, MRG is missing me. You see, I am a real entertaining and valuable fellow. Hey, I can't board MRG? O.k., I'll find another hill. Lots of great terrain. Sure, I would love to enjoy the forbidden fruit, but ultimately, I'll be on a hill having a great time, leading the liftlines in song (the three-part harmonies are particularly touching), retrieving lost gloves for the robust children (and giving them maple sugar candied Santa Claus to put a smile back on their faces), and employing my intimate connection with the Creator to ensure the natural snow conditions are fluffy and deep.

So you see, while I do miss out enjoying MRG, it is the MRG community that suffers more by restricting the access of me and my board.

And that is the real tragedy.

(3) Begging.

C'mon....C'mon...COM-MONN...COMMONNNNN...AWWWW...PLEASE!?!

Mad River Glen: Hike It If You Can (pre-season only, of course)

!

THANKS!
    I'm all for continuing the snowbard ban, and I wish more areas would remain exclusive to skis.

Nothing against boarders, but I just prefer to ski bumps made by skiers, and I don't like the way that boarders sideslipping through trees and cha;;enging terrain plow the snow down the hill. And just to complement the thought about boarders being able to ride at MRG on skis, my recollection is that those who arrive with boards are even given an opportunity to "borrow" telemark rentals at no charge.

The day that MRG allows boards is the day I go somewhere else!

Got a question:
    Can you buy more than one "share/stock" of the Co-op? If yes, then couldn't a snowboarder get say 500 shares than make it into a snowboarding only mountain?
    Boarders are in fact allowed at Mad River Glen. They just have to ride on skis, that's all.

Re: Buying 500 shares

MRG limits the number of shares that any one person can buy to 4 shares. Therefore, no one will ever be able to buy 500 shares as you suggest, eatskisleep, and turn it into a snowboarders-only mountain.
    Jeff

Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by djg21

THANKS!
    I'm all for continuing the snowbard ban, and I wish more areas would remain exclusive to skis.

Nothing against boarders, but I just prefer to ski bumps made by skiers, and I don't like the way that boarders sideslipping through trees and cha;;enging terrain plow the snow down the hill. And just to complement the thought about boarders being able to ride at MRG on skis, my recollection is that those who arrive with boards are even given an opportunity to "borrow" telemark rentals at no charge.

You say nothing against boarders but then you go and stereotype like that. Not all boarders are sideslipping through trees and on challenging terrain!

Re: Buying 500 shares

Quote Originally Posted by madskier6
    MRG limits the number of shares that any one person can buy to 4 shares. Therefore, no one will ever be able to buy 500 shares as you suggest, eatskisleep, and turn it into a snowboarders-only mountain.
    Just making sure.

Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by djg21

THANKS!

You say nothing against boarders but then you go and stereotype like that. Not all boarders are sideslipping through trees and on challenging terrain!
    Snowboards are typically shorter than skis that a comparably sized skiier would ride. This makes the bumps tighter. Moreover, call it what you want, but virtually every boarder I've seen in bumps has been square to the fall-line, with their boards perpendicular, and sliding down the hill like a big snow plow. Either they do this to slide down the entire pitch, or they do it every couple of turns to check speed. Just stand on any steep bumped slope and watch for yourself! Boards certainly have their place, and I've skiied with some fantastic snowboarders. But they do change the way bumps form, and the changes are not better if you are a skiier.