Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: !

Snowboards are typically shorter than skis that a comparably sized skiier would ride. This makes the bumps tighter. Moreover, call it what you want, but virtually every boarder I've seen in bumps has been square to the fall-line, with their boards perpendicular, and sliding down the hill like a big snow plow. Either they do this to slide down the entire pitch, or they do it every couple of turns to check speed. Just stand on any steep bumped slope and watch for yourself! Boards certainly have their place, and I've skiied with some fantastic snowboarders. But they do change the way bumps form, and the changes are not better if you are a skiier.
    yeah..right. Go watch anything but expert bump skiiers and tell me what you see? Lots of riding across the fall line and
    stopping every 3rd turn. I'd pay more attention to your own kind before blaming any boarder for the condition of bumps.

As to MRG remaining ski only, I can't wait for the day I hit the Lotto and open up a boarders only mountain just to hear
    skiiers whine about it

Quote Originally Posted by beelze
    Snowboards are typically shorter than skis that a comparably sized skiier would ride. This makes the bumps tighter. Moreover, call it what you want, but virtually every boarder I've seen in bumps has been square to the fall-line, with their boards perpendicular, and sliding down the hill like a big snow plow. Either they do this to slide down the entire pitch, or they do it every couple of turns to check speed. Just stand on any steep bumped slope and watch for yourself! Boards certainly have their place, and I've skiied with some fantastic snowboarders. But they do change the way bumps form, and the changes are not better if you are a skiier.
    yeah..right. Go watch anything but expert bump skiiers and tell me what you see? Lots of riding across the fall line and
    stopping every 3rd turn. I'd pay more attention to your own kind before blaming any boarder for the condition of bumps.

As to MRG remaining ski only, I can't wait for the day I hit the Lotto and open up a boarders only mountain just to hear
    skiiers whine about it
    BTW, in the late 70s and early 80s, some ski areas (Jackson for one) limited certain bump runs to those wearing skis abobe 190cm for precisely the same reasons why snowboards should arguably be precluded from some runs/mountains.

That being said. Good luck in opening you own boards-only hill. I honestly think that you have a great idea. However, you'd have to compete with Stratton.

[quote="djg21"][quote="beelze"]
    BTW, in the late 70s and early 80s, some ski areas (Jackson for one) limited certain bump runs to those wearing skis abobe 190cm for precisely the same reasons why snowboards should arguably be precluded from some runs/mountains.

I lived and worked at Jackson Hole from 1979-1996. No access to terrain was ever limited by the length of a person's ski's. What a silly statement. I can just imagine a liftie with a tape measure chasing someone after they got off the lift to measure the length of their skis. Where do you come up with this stuff?

IMHO if a skier does not want to share the terrain with snowboarders, bump runs or whatever, then they should restrict their skiing to MRG, Alta, Taos and Deer Valley. This debate is old and tiring and a complete waste of time.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

This debate is old and tiring and a complete waste of time.
    You say that like the rest of what is written here is not a complete waste of time?

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by eatskisleep
    Got a question:
    Can you buy more than one "share/stock" of the Co-op? If yes, then couldn't a snowboarder get say 500 shares than make it into a snowboarding only mountain?
    Checked into this last season, and hope I can buy into MRG in the future. You are allowed to purchase up to 4 shares per person. It keeps any one person from becoming a controlling share holder. You must also spend like $200 or $600 / share on MRG bucks which can be used in the shop or food services or for lifts. I think 4 shares entitles you to a pass or a discounted pass, but at $200/ share, you already bought it.

As for ski only, keep it old and the way it is. As long as the shareholders refuse to allow snowboards, they will not be welcome do ride there. Lots of arguements, but the OWNERS have spoken.
    Coming sooon to a theater near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. NO
    Lots of arguements, but the OWNERS have spoken.
    You summed up this whole debate with one short sentence....

Dorset Peak...the future home of the world's only all-boarding hill. Except we'll allow skiers. Because we're not lame.

The debate continues...it's not going to end or change anytime soon, folks.

At least not here in MRV...

...everyone else in the world saw the light long ago though.

Re: At least not here in MRV...

Quote Originally Posted by resahcevaw
    ...everyone else in the world saw the light long ago though.
    As a co-op, MRG is already far from "everyone else". Also, as opposed to "everyone else", the mountain has virtually no debt so they must be providing a service their customers value. In fact, this debate leads to probably some of the best exposure for MRG. Finally, we don't need two active threads on this. Not sure why you bumped this one up. Locked.