Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groomer Rides?

Groomer Rides?

I see that Sugarbush has a new feature 1 hour rides with the groomers for $40! Is that bogus or what? http://www.sugarbush.com/groomerrides.aspx

Believe it or not, I've talked to a number of people that have done it.

They thought it was great.

And if you saw their eyes when they were talking about it, you'd have to be interested.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Well actually, it does sound interesting. I just thought is was kind of shabby on managements part charging $40 for a ride. Guess I could kind of understand it, have to keep the crowd down. But, they're not going to make any major money on this and I think it might have been more valuable in the form of public relations if perhaps they had some kind of raffle or something and let people on for free.

I think they are more limited by space than price. I think they only take 2 at a time. And it isn't a ride around the Gatehouse. They go to the top. The word is going over the top of Organgrinder is a trip!

I'll try to remember your suggestion about the raffle, tho. They have all sorts of contests during the holidays. Maybe that would be a good prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    I think they are more limited by space than price. I think they only take 2 at a time. And it isn't a ride around the Gatehouse. They go to the top. The word is going over the top of Organgrinder is a trip!

I'll try to remember your suggestion about the raffle, tho. They have all sorts of contests during the holidays. Maybe that would be a good prize.
    Like I stated, it does sound very interesting. It's just that I don't see it as a money maker. As a result it might be a good idea for them to come up with a way to give it away. This way people that may not have the opportunity to experience such a thing otherwise may have a chance. To me the perfect example is kids. After paying for lift tickets, hotels, food, etc... parents may find this a bit extravigant and out of reach. But I'm sure it's something that kids would not only enjoy, but find educational as well. At the same time it could be great PR for Sugarbush. Kids taking such a ride would be more likely to remember the mountain and come back in the future.

I saw that on their website and thought it looked pretty cool... Until I saw the $40 price tag... Not that I was suprised, just a little dissapointed...
    Brian

The Bush has been doing it for a couple of seasons. It might not be my cup of tea or yours, some people really enjoy the experience. How could it not be a money maker? The groomer and equipment are out there anyway.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Groomer rides very popular

We have never had complaints - until now/here - about the price or availability of the groomer rides. Last season we were able to offer more - but this season, we elected to reduce the groomer fleet by one, so we are proceeding cautiously regarding #seats, and #time slots. The groomers are working as they are giving rides, but they do need to alter their routine in order to accomodate pick-up/drop-off at the base of LP of the riders. If all goes well, we may be able to increase availability as the season progresses.

So, regular schedule is Fri/Sat/Sun, 5PM 2 seats for a one hour ride @ $40/seat. A seat will hold one adult with one small (less that 60#) child, or two slightly older children as seat buddies (share the
    seat belt). Rides will be available each day of the holiday period except Chirstmas, and maybe NYEve - stay tuned.

Reservations are highly recommended due to popularity and limited availability. This was never intended to be a huge money maker - but it does need to cover its own expenses. Groomer rides are big PR - have been written up and drawn attention, and demonstrate the adventurous spirit of our resort! We do what we can, and despite comments here, the message seems to be getting through!

First off, welcome to SkiMRV mtnlady!! I've always enjoyed your input at AZ, so I'm sure you'll be an invaluable resource here. Second, I agree with you 100% regarding the groomer rides and pricing. If you think the price is too steep, then DON'T GO! It's one thing to piss and moan about the cost of lift tickets, but at least it's the means by which we get our skiing/boarding fix. The groomer rides are purely frivolous, so I can't imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape by the price. Moreover, given the apparent popularity of the program, it seems that SB may in fact be charging too little!

And finally, uh mtnlady, when are you guys going to get around to blowing snow on Ripcord, Steins, Birch Run, and Sunrise? I would think those are pretty critical components of the holiday season skiing experience, no?

Wow...that sounds like something for....

....this daddy and his two little guys. Heck, I paid $40 at an amusement park last summer to be reverse bungeed for a couple of "boings". This sounds like one sweet ride ! Does it come with a crumpled, day old 1/2 eaten Big Mac, and a dog named Buck ?

And, yes, welcome mtnlady.

Added: Can you order these three weeks in advance, or just the day of ?

I didn't mean to say above that I thought the price was too high, just that its higher than I'd be willing to pay. Thats fine by me, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to pay that much or more...

Brian

Hey, don't get me wrong not complaining, just adding my 2 cents and some ideas.

Can you order these three weeks in advance, or just the day of ?
    As I only deal in rumors, I don't know the answer to that, but the bush web site says to sign up at the Guest Services kiosk, but had the number (802)583-6537...so...

uh mtnlady, when are you guys going to get around to blowing snow on Ripcord, Steins, Birch Run, and Sunrise?
    Sheesh! at least let her get her ski boots off and put her feet up!

Welcome mtnlady! It would be good to have some real info to occasionally correct my rumor information.

A detail of one of my images showing a groomers path on Mt Ellen. What a view from up there or Lincoln Peak.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee
    Hey, don't get me wrong not complaining, just adding my 2 cents and some ideas.
    Ideas for what? To cheapen the bush into a Killington?

Why not offer your idea up down there for cheaper groomer rides? It'll go great with their $369 super dooper pass!

Buy a season pass for $369 and get two free groomer rides!!

There you go, a way to cheapen an aready cheaped out resort! In the end, you always get what you pay for...