Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groomer Rides?

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee
    Well actually, it does sound interesting. I just thought is was kind of shabby on managements part charging $40 for a ride. Guess I could kind of understand it, have to keep the crowd down. But, they're not going to make any major money on this and I think it might have been more valuable in the form of public relations if perhaps they had some kind of raffle or something and let people on for free.
    stick to you day job, whatever that is...but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it's not running a ski resort.

Editor's Note: I've removed the last portion of this message as it isn't really constructive for anyone. Suffice it to say, I agree with Bush Groomer's general position, but disagree with the specific message used to get that point across. - Tin

Heroes of the Night

The Groomer Rides are a treat to offer, especially when I get reports of how much fun both guests and drivers have while grooming. I appreciate the feedback and support of people here. I think if Bush Groomer is truly one, he may have been still recovering from the heroic efforts that crew had to muster to recover from that challenging weather we had late last week.

Great work, guys! And those other wonder-workers, the snow making crew, too. No matter how friendly our
    staff is towards visitors, it's the snow surface that counts most. I am applauding...

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Groomer
    Well actually, it does sound interesting. I just thought is was kind of shabby on managements part charging $40 for a ride. Guess I could kind of understand it, have to keep the crowd down. But, they're not going to make any major money on this and I think it might have been more valuable in the form of public relations if perhaps they had some kind of raffle or something and let people on for free.
    stick to you day job, whatever that is...but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it's not running a ski resort.

Editor's Note: I've removed the last portion of this message as it isn't really constructive for anyone. Suffice it to say, I agree with Bush Groomer's general position, but disagree with the specific message used to get that point across. - Tin
    And so the censorship debate rears its ugly head... no, it hasn't yet, but it will.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Groomer

And so the censorship debate rears its ugly head... no, it hasn't yet, but it will.
    It might in the future, but this isn't an example od same. I thought the "cheap bastard" comment was a little more inflammatory than necessary. I'm as big a fan as anyone for a raucous debate, but let's focus on ideas instead of name-calling. That's just a dead end.

Damn, so sorry I expressed an idea.

I don't think you should be sorry about it.

I think airing any issue is what we are and should be about. Don't worry that some people might (will) disagree with some of the things you say. It is the nature of a public forum.

I would ask all to argue the issue, not the person.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

When I first read Bush Groomer's reponse with the inflamatory comment, I was alarmed....but then after some consideration I concluded that it was meant to generate a laugh, not angst. Seriously, thats how I came to read it.

Anyways... I agree we need to focus on the people and not the issues. I mean the issues and not the people. Anyways....

Did the groomer ride last Saturday night....

....with my boys. Here's the experience.

1) friendly phone contact with Guest Services and a quick call back to answer some questions I had that they had to call to ask the groomer folks. Nice.
    2) We show up and the guy at guest services tells me that since my little guy will be on my lap, he'll only charge us for one. $40- in my pocket that, technically should have been in theirs. Nice.
    3) Guest services guy comes over and oversees us getting hooked up when the groomers arrive. My one son and me in one shotgun seat, my other son shotgun in groomer #2. The drivers were just great - fun, friendly, really nice seeing how we were coming to their office and sitting in their seat as they worked.
    4) So off we went.....the machines are just gnarly and intense....million dollar babies. You kind of think they are going to fly, but they grozzle along at a modest speed. But turning corners, doing 180's in place, and going down some steeps is all fun. The cab is warm....so wear a bathing suit. Bring a water bottle.
    5) So we watched corduroy getting made, and the machines work as a team. Folks, I know the snowmaking thread has been back and forth about the area's committment to snow quality, but from the grooming angle they are totally committed. It is amazing how they take icy, skied off trail and make it into sweed cord. We asked 1001 questions, laughed, and had just a great time. My little guy babbled and babbled with delight. We went up Organgrinder. This time of year, the sun is down, so they don't take you to the top of OG for sunsets. Probably in the next month or so.
    6) Our driver has seen just about every kind of wildlife except a Yeti. The views to the twinkling lights of the valley were quite magical.
    7) An hour later we were down, my boys babbled some more, and off we went after a thanks, and by my choice, a tip for a job well done.

Thanks, Sugarbush.

Thanx for your report.

Wouldn't really apply for the Trip Report section. Maybe in the "What A Trip Report" section?

Glad you had a great time.

And this is the kind of thing I've heard from others who've tried it... although they did get the sunset at the top of OG, on theirs.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

One of the better TRs this site has seen!

Re: Did the groomer ride last Saturday night....

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    ....with my boys. Here's the experience....
    Awesome! That was a great story. Congratulations to all who made this happen. It sounds like the 2 bigger boys will never forget it!
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

That is exactly why SB is doing this! Reports like that one are worth a million skier visits. After reading smootharc's report I will definitly have to ride in one and see it in action for myself!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Now don't get any ideas, Richie....

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    That is exactly why SB is doing this! Reports like that one are worth a million skier visits. After reading smootharc's report I will definitly have to ride in one and see it in action for myself!
    ....about joining the Nearly Mile High Organgrinder (absolutely no pun intended) Groomer Club with your sister Gwynneth, you sickly Tenenbaum you.....

I had the pleasure of taking a groomer ride with my seven year old son on Saturday, March 4th and have to agree with other posters that it is a great experience. Called and reserved a spot early Saturday AM knowing that the snow was falling and there would be plenty of snow to groom. We smoothed the "jumps" he had taken earlier in the day on Sleeper and took a winding trip on Castlerock Connection and Troll Road. We asked a LOT of questions and had a great driver who shared with us great knowledge of the mountain and MRV. Thanks!