Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    I have always looked at all that terrain between Castlerock and HG and know that if we were like Stratton or the Loaf(just check out their trail maps) we could put in a lift and a bunch of trails there but I guess it's one of the things that make the Bush special and diferent plus I know locals would go on a rampage if any new trail came anywhere near off piste areas like the *h*rc*. Tin, I still remember your battle over at EpicSki about the subject a few years ago....
    ASC planned to add glades in that area. Strat's (I think) site has an image on showing the ASC plans with a traverse leading out from Paradise to that terrain. IIRC, the traverse was a bit downhill of the Long Trail, but I can't remember and am not looking at the map now. The map did not have any additional trails or lifts, though, so it wouldn't have ruined that terrain, just made it more well known. And to be honest, I think it's pretty well know (even I know it! ). The specific area that you were reluctant to spell out (so I'll play along and avoid it too) has been mentioned numerous times in message boards.

Lastly, for a variety of reasons most people are not willing to stop for even 30 seconds to check out the large trail maps. When I am at a resort I am not familar with I always open up the trail map and check it out while on the lift going up so I know exactly where I need to go. I suspect most do not do that.

It's a constant quandry. Where does the line stop on how much info you offer guests if they are not interested in using it.
    I use those large trail maps at places I'm not familiar with (and I also use pocket maps while on the lift). I've seen others congregate around those maps too. I don't know what people do at SB because I know the mountain well enough that I don't pay much attention to the large maps.
    -Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1
    ASC planned to add glades in that area. Strat's (I think) site has an image on showing the ASC plans with a traverse leading out from Paradise to that terrain. IIRC, the traverse was a bit downhill of the Long Trail, but I can't remember and am not looking at the map now. The map did not have any additional trails or lifts, though, so it wouldn't have ruined that terrain, just made it more well known. And to be honest, I think it's pretty well know (even I know it! ). The specific area that you were reluctant to spell out (so I'll play along and avoid it too) has been mentioned numerous times in message boards.
    Good memory... direct link to the map: http://geocities.com/sugarbushhistor...nsionplans.gif
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Good memory... direct link to the map: http://geocities.com/sugarbushhistor...nsionplans.gif
    Thanks.. I know I've told you before, but your site is great.
    -Kenny

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it...
    Unfortunately I am completely out of space... I'm allotted 15 mb and it is totally full... yes, I could make another account, I'm just kinda lazy...

Unfortunately I am completely out of space... I'm allotted 15 mb and it is totally full... yes, I could make another account, I'm just kinda lazy...

I'd think there are other places at this point that probably will give you far more than the 15mb that geocities gives you. Only matters if you plan to do more. It is good as is.
    -Kenny

Strat... if you need some space, just let me know. I've got a few gigs of online storage that I would be glad to share for the betterment of the Bush. PM if interested.

Seems like you've used up your bandwidth as well. We must do something about that. Again, PM me.

Since I butchered the thread splitting process (I'm not sure if there's a way to move posts from one thread into another), I'll just copy and paste BMM's alternate thread starter here:

I decided this needed a thread of its own. Maybe a mod could split out the posts from the "Sugarbush Lift System" about a history website so that it's all here in a separate topic. - TW

smootharc wrote:

mike451 wrote:

I think, we need to throw together a more complete site of Sugarbush History, I think alot of people have pictures, old maps, tickets, propaganda, and commentary that could be very interesting. In addition, now in this era, we can do a great deal to doccument, Sugarbush as it is now, and events that are happening, for future generations, (perhaps to let them know there was even skiing in VT) I am intested to see what Strat and BushMogulMaster come up with.

I imagine there would be some real interest here....and I'm not sure if any mountain has a full bore "History" site that is like an online museum of the place (not to take away from the existing excellent sites mentioned - true labors of love. I'd be personally real interested to see a combo site for SB and MRG - sort of a yin-yang of the valley skiing. Or separate sites, if that wasn't feasible - practical.

I love old photos, grainy old home movies (especially those ones in color that look almost surreal) and the like.

If the ball does get rolling on a wide, organized project like that, I'd be willing to dig into my pocket and throw something into the pot to help.

Is anyone else interested in this? We could get a .com domain for about $8/year, and I can host the page (I've got plenty of online storage and bandwidth). I also have a decent amount of web development experience and could easily put something together. Maybe Strat would be willing to work with me, since he currently has the best and most comprehensive unofficial Bush site. Anyone else interested is certainly welcome to help out. It really wouldn't be an expensive venture, but surely a time consuming one.

What do you all think???????

What we would need is to have everyone from the board put together all of the images, videos, info, etc. that we have about the Bush. Then we could move on to local libraries, museums, history societies, and of course, the mountain and all of the veteran employees. And how could I forget... Win Smith! There's got to be plenty of info out there.

My 10 year old son loves Strat's site. I don't have anything to add in terms of material, but would be glad to contribute some money.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody... still amazes me that people are actually enjoying my nerdy little web hobby...

So, about the history site... sounds great! If we could get a serious effort into gathering historical information, I'd obviously love to be involved... I mean up through this point it's just been me actively looking for stuff (though not that actively, and my focus has mainly been trail maps), but if we could get more than one person involved, especially someone that doesn't have to go to school every day (haha), I could definitely foresee a worthwhile project...

I mean a while back I had a bit of contact with the web tech department up at the Bush, and they were interested in the content I could offer them, but I guess the interest kinda fizzled or something, because I stopped hearing back from them. There was even a link to my site on the "Where We've Been" page, though that disappeared when this season started. Not saying we need official approval, unofficial is fine, but it seems if we want to invest in a domain and everything, we're going to want to provide a site that people actually visit, and of course the best way to get exposure is a link from Sugarbush.com. I mean my site gets a bit of traffic, but it's mostly you guys (43 today, wow though I'm sure a lot of you saw the "Not available" page because the bandwidth was shot).

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what happened to vtskibum? He was a regular on the RSN and AlpineZone forums, and he was on here too until December 2005... just asking because he provided me with a lot of the earliest maps on my site...

Copied from "Lift System" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski_Resort_Observer
    In addition to Strat's most excellent site there is another more broad based Sugarbush history site http://bush.daevious.com/. This was listed in the sticky Back in the Day in this forum, which I assume you have already checked out. Not really a bunch of info there, to be honest. For a general history of Sugarbush ownership there is an excellent page on the Sugarbush website for that.

I think what your proposing is a great idea but I'm not sure your aware of the time committment required to do it right. Rather than do your own website you could do it much more easily here. We already have a thread Sugarbush Pics, for example, it's just buried in the past right now so I will bump it and maybe Lostone or Tin could make it a sticky.

You could start a new sticky like maybe Sugarbush History. I actually asked about that one awhile back and somehow it got listed as Old Trail Names. In the first 6 months of this forum or so threads pertaining to alot of the subjects your talking about exist. Again, totally buried and will bump a few of them but that will work only temporarily.

Another point is I don't think many use the seach function of this forum. It really helps to see what had already transpired, not ragging on anyone.....just saying. Strat, I hope you don't mind me stealing that....Laughing

So, what do you guys think about maybe organizing the sticky's or whatever that covers the subjects your talking about. I think most already know that I would love to see people post pics on a regular basis. Any pics, even pics of yourself! What the heck do most of you guys/gals look like anyway's. That would be a great thread or even sticky right there.

I'm not sure of the details on how it would work, you guys can take that on. It's just an idea, what do you think?

SRO... believe me, I know all about the time commitment with building a website and collecting data (I spent a couple years as a Net Admin/Webmaster). I still think it's worth it, and don't mind spending some time on it. I like your idea of a sticky thread, but still think it would be cool to put together a full-featured website.

But I'm still open for discussion and suggestions.

Hey Tin...it's all good.....thanks. I bumped a few earlier threads.

There were a couple of threads that you started that should have been made stickys...like the Slidebrook thread. If you guys put your heads together I bet you can make something work great. Both libraries have some cool stuff which I will checkout,.I have an elcheapo flatbed scanner that might be good enough to work but the problem is that the really good stuff can't be taken out of the library.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster
    SRO... believe me, I know all about the time commitment with building a website and collecting data (I spent a couple years as a Net Admin/Webmaster). I still think it's worth it, and don't mind spending some time on it. I like your idea of a sticky thread, but still think it would be cool to put together a full-featured website.

But I'm still open for discussion and suggestions.
    Hey, no doubt about it, a website would be sick!
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Both libraries have some cool stuff which I will checkout,.I have an elcheapo flatbed scanner that might be good enough to work but the problem is that the really good stuff can't be taken out of the library.
    This is why you take a digital camera with you to the library. Take some careful high res shots of whatever you want!