Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decisions, decisions...

For all the full or part-time valley residents... Mehuron's or Shaw's? Champlain Farms or the VG? Country Creemee or Maynards? BankNorth or ...that other one?

Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Mehuron's or Shaw's?
    Depends on what I'm buying and when.

Champlain Farms or the VG?
    What's the VG?

I have generally used Mac's, but since the fire, I've used either... Champlain Farms pr the Mobil across the street. More likely the Mobil.

Country Creemee or Maynards?
    Ben & Jerry's

I think Maynard's is the stand near Moretown? Never stopped there. Had a shake at Country Creemee once, but generally I have Ben & Jerry's, at home.

BankNorth or ...that other one?
    Actually there are two, and I wasn't aware that Northfield Savings bank was not BankNorth, when I set up my account. It was one of those things that I really wasn't concentrating, and when I saw the North part...

Of the two that I'd investigated, I went with Chittenden because their online banking allowed me to download my banking info on CSV. This allowed me to use Excel to manipulate the info, which I'd already been doing. BankNorth required me to buy Micro$oft Money or Quicken.

To me, that is asking me to take my money elsewhere, and I don't have to get told that twice.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I go to Mehurons mostly but Shaw's has better produce. Country Creemee is owned by an old friend from Wyoming, both are good. The Maple Creemees, forget the name, just north of Montpelier on County Rd are to die for. VG has terrible parking. There are 3 banks in town. Been doing business with Chittenden for many years. Doing business in the valley is great!
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Crazy Vermonters...it's soft serve, not creemees.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    ...When In Rome, Dude...creemee it is.

- Mehurons (grocery)
    - Northfield Savings (banking)
    - Kenyon's/Bisbees (hardware/paint)
    - Valero (gas- always 2cents less)
    - FG White (home heating)
    - Valley Reporter (local printed news)
    - WDEV (96.1fm local radio)
    - CREEMEE would be Village CREEMEE. (SRO- Morse Farm on Old County Rd in Montpelier. And for those who are still putting Log Cabin on their pancakes, all other maple creemees are fake like that- Morse Farm is the one- Bragg Farm too, but MOrse Farm has more charecter- worth the trip with friends/family)
    - Haps (car repair)
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I was just kidding. I'm from Rhode Island originally where we have all sorts of crazy names for stuff.

ie Milk shake = cabinet

I was just kidding. I'm from Rhode Island originally where we have all sorts of crazy names for stuff.

ie Milk shake = cabinet
    Now, THAT's weird! It did get me thinking though what other names are "odd" when it comes to colloquialisms (I actually spelled that right on the first try).

For example:
    creemee = soft serve
    Milk Shake = cabinet (!), (what about frappe?)
    a sandwich on a long roll is a________
    a carbonated beverage:_________

Are there others people have happened upon in their travels?
    edit: I thought of a couple more that I know-
    You say driveway, I say dooryard
    You say porch, my (vt)grandparents said piazza

A creemeee is very diferent from soft serve. Soft serve has very little creme and alot of sugar and alot of air. A creemee has much more creme. Even more creme/fat than the permium ice creme like B/J or Haggen Daz. Did ya know Hagen Daz was made in New Jersey...good stuff.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Because no one answered Lostone's question: VG is the Village Grocery, just north of Bridge Street on Route 100 in Waitsfield... SRO's right about the parking though...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Milk Shake = cabinet (!), (what about frappe?) Frappe is a Mass thing
    a sandwich on a long roll is a sub
    a carbonated beverage: soda
    a fixture in the wall that you drink water from: bubbler
    place where you buy beer: the packey (in southern NE) or bevy (in VT)

In my 4 years in VT, I never had a creemee - just kinda assumed it was the same as soft serve since that's what it looks like.

Milk Shake = cabinet (!), (what about frappe?) Frappe is a Mass thing
    a sandwich on a long roll is a sub
    a carbonated beverage: soda
    a fixture in the wall that you drink water from: bubbler
    place where you buy beer: the packey (in southern NE) or bevy (in VT)

In my 4 years in VT, I never had a creemee - just kinda assumed it was the same as soft serve since that's what it looks like.
    I concur on Sub and Soda.
    Never heard of packey or bevy.
    Water cooler or water fountain instead of bubbler, though.

If you have a creemee, get a real one. Honest, go to Morse Farm (pm if you need directions) for the world's best maple creeeeeemeeeeeeee.

the packey is a package store, which is what people in RI and Mass call the liquor store for some reason. I'm from there but never quite understood it. At St. Mike's we always called it the bevy because the one down the road was the Beverage Warehouse.

Never heard of water cooler but alot of my friends that aren't from southern NE called it a water fountain and made fun of those of us that called it a bubbler. They also called soda pop, so I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Next summer I'll get myself a creemee and I'll have to take you up on the directions at that point.

The only decisions I'm making....

....are to hold off shopping in the valley until they get the Wal-Mart I'm waiting for, dammit.

Why would I want to shop at places owned by families for generations, with their eclectic, home-grown products, when I can shop at a place that I can be comfortible knowing is exactly the same everywhere in the whole USA ?

I only trust large multi-national corporations, not those Mom and Pops who are probably trying to cheat me.....

Around here:
    -A Milk Shake is a Milk Shake
    -A sandwhich on a long roll is a sub, or a grinder
    -Fixture you drink water from is a water foutain or water cooler
    -We call liquor stores package stores or packeys as well.
    -Carbonated beverage is called soda

I've never heard of a "dooryard"...

Brian

To be fair, Maynards, when wholesale maple syrup is available, his creemees are real maple syrup. If he doesn't have the maple syrup he does not sell a maple creemee. About 5 years ago, a buddy and I were up there and I joked he did have offer maple creemees. He said he couldn't find any syrup wholesale so we were SOL, in a friendly farmer kind of way, if that's what we wanted.
    Sugarbusher since 1970