Weather Obsessed

I'm so weather obsessed this time of the year that it drives my wife crazy. Not only am I anxious for snow for personal reasons, but owning the inn, my business is totally dependent on the weather, no more so during ski season. Get tons of fresh snow and I'll be turning people away every weekend. Unseasonably warm and rainy and I'll have a lot of rooms sitting empty.

Speaking of which, we've had several weather related cancellations for this weekend. Two people cancelled because they checked out Sugarbush's web site and saw that they weren't open and a woman just called who said she heard the roads were terrible and she was afraid of driving in the snow in her new car. She wasn't supposed to come until tomorrow, but oh well.

Oddly enough, we have skiers sometimes complain about too much snow, or who will cancel just after a big dumping. Usually it's driving related, which I can somewhat understand, but some beginning skiers don't like skiing in a lot of fresh stuff.

As an example, do you remember that big dumping we got last February? I went to a lodging meeting at MRG and remember daydreaming out the window as someone droned on about some such, watching people get on the single. I had all my stuff and finally my wife leaned over and whispered, "Just get up and slip out. Nobody will notice." Ah, that was great.

Anyway, at breakfast the next day the people sounded like kids discussing their new Christmas presents. In walks two people who'd had the good fortune to book an entire week during the best snow stretch--by far!--of the entire year. I asked them how the skiing was the previous day and the woman sighed and said, "I guess it was all right...if you like powder."

There's no pleasing some people. Others are happy with almost anything. Downpour, terrain mixed with mud and rocks with an occasional chunk of glare ice left over from the last ice age and they'll be happy as can be.

Re: Weather Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by KingM
    Others are happy with almost anything. Downpour, terrain mixed with mud and rocks with an occasional chunk of glare ice left over from the last ice age and they'll be happy as can be.
    We've never met, but you know me pretty well...