Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sugarbush Closed till....

Haven't been here in a couple of days and was surprised no posts on SBush closing Tuesday am before the bad weather started and not planning to open until Friday at the earliest. As always we can second guess if this was a weather or business decision and know the mountain will not please everyone all the time. As a weekday skier this put a crimp in my plans for the week.

We lost every bit of our snow here on the valley floor, so I'm thinking it's a legitimate weather decision. With temps finally coming back down it would be nice if we could get some good snow, but in the meanwhile we'll have to settle for snow-making temps.

Stowe is open

Yeah, I was bummed yesterday.

I'd taken the day off to get some early season turns. Was planning on the bush. When I found they were closed, I was bummed.

Then I decided to check Stowe. They were open top to bottom. (They have to be, to be open ) Went up there. Great move! Spring skiing in November!

Guess I'll have to buy a Spruce condo instead of the Claybrook one. (Like I don't have a hard enough time paying for a lift ticket! ) But if I did have enough I would have to consider it.

What's the deal with Sugarbush only open at the top, and still closing? I rode up with someone on Thursday who said that was so they could open early and stay open late... but they do neither, and Stowe and Killington were both open yesterday... and today... and tomorrow... ?

Not sure what their game is but Stowe got my money yesterday.
    You will only find me where I never can be.

Jay closed yesterday as well I believe, so Sugarbush wasn't the only one.
    -Kenny

I really find it hard to believe they are staying closed all week!

Their web site says they are possibly opening Saturday.

I think what they are doing is reflect the old days at Sugarbush. The ones where there was no snowmaking.

Again, what is with the idea of being able to run only the top so they can open early. Almost everyone else in New England is open but Sugarbush isn't?

North of them was cold enough to stay open. South of them was cold enough to stay open. What? Did they get hit with a quarter mile heat wave?

What the report should say is that they are clsoed because they don't care about their customers
    You will only find me where I never can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcreamus
    I really find it hard to believe they are staying closed all week!

Their web site says they are possibly opening Saturday.

I think what they are doing is reflect the old days at Sugarbush. The ones where there was no snowmaking.

Again, what is with the idea of being able to run only the top so they can open early. Almost everyone else in New England is open but Sugarbush isn't?

North of them was cold enough to stay open. South of them was cold enough to stay open. What? Did they get hit with a quarter mile heat wave?

What the report should say is that they are clsoed because they don't care about their customers
    No, really, it wasn't cold in the MRV. There was a wicked inversion today according to Roger Hill/Weatherguy-we-like. He told me today it was sunny on top of Mt Washington. We were gray gray gray.....Though 4-8+" forcast for tonight thru early a.m. Saturday...
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Looked at Sugarbush's trail report for today, quite frankly, I'm suprised they even bothered opening. 2 trails on the upper mountain doesn't seem like it's worth it, especially if you take into consideration that Stowe has half their terrain open and they're not that far from the Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by andyzee
    Looked at Sugarbush's trail report for today, quite frankly, I'm suprised they even bothered opening. 2 trails on the upper mountain doesn't seem like it's worth it, especially if you take into consideration that Stowe has half their terrain open and they're not that far from the Bush.
    Yes, surprised to see that. It's been a rare occurance when Stowe has more terrain open than the Bush. Stowe is owned by an international insurance giant while the Bush is owned by 3 individualsl. Perhaps the diference in financial resources is changing the playing field between the two?
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Which insurance company owns Stowe?

I'm 99% sure it's AIG.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    I'm 99% sure it's AIG.
    Bingo
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Sugarbush Snowmaking Capacity

Does anyone know what Sugarbush's snowmaking capacity is in terms of gallons per minute and acre feet per hour at both north and south? how about the size of their reservoir?

its a little dissappointing to see south remain closed and north offering so little terrain at this point. i know the weather has been cruel with the recent rain, but it has also been generous at times too thus far this season.

-new guy

The Bush is constrained as much by power usage limits as snowmaking capacity. It's been just a couple of days since the last warm period as they are not currently making much snow. .Suggest you call 1-800-53-SUGAR, 8-3pm, ask to be transferred to guest services at Mt Ellen. With the snow they just got couple with favorable snowmaking temps next week perhaps they are focusing on next weekend.

They might be able to answer your questions. Maybe someone from the mountain can chime in here as well or Lostone with his direct connection to the Sugarbush rumor mill...
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Direct connection, heck! I was there and saw what they are doing.

Snowmaking in full operation all day FIS and Lower Rim Run.

There were also guns running around the Northridge lift, but I did't think it was going far up Cruiser.

As far as South is concerned, the target has been next weekend, for the entire pre-season. I believe they are still looking toward that target.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Bluetooth open yet?

Just wondering.