Best route from I-91

I usually take 103 to 100 up through Killington and then 100 North to Sugarbush. What route do you take?
    Dave

That depends...

on what the meaning of "best" is.

I really never came up 91, but I would think I would have come up to 89, to exit 3, up 107 to the cutoff to 100, then up 100.

There are some who like Roxbury Gap, but I think 107-100 is better.

But I'm more than willing to be over ruled.

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Are you saying you get off the Chester exit on I91 then Rt 103 thru Ludlow then Rt 100 at Killington? On a map it looks pretty good but all those miles on state roads will kill ya for time.

Like Lostone says depends on how you define "best". IMHO the fasted is to go on I89 to Middesex exit(about 60 miles) then south on 100B then Rt 100(about 18 miles to MRV from interstate.. Even tho it's the longest of the other 3 options, because most of it is on the interstate vs alot of miles on state roads it is the fastest. I also think it's an incredibley beautiful 18 miles. Along the Mad River then after getting thru Moretown Village the valley unfolds before you with the Bush looming ahead on the right and Scragg and Waitsfield Mt on the left. I know others have other opinions.

I would not take Roxbury Gap way unless you know for sure what the condition of the road(ice,snow) is. I would avoid that one. It's not a long road for a Vermont gap road but there are a few dicey sections and it is narrow and dirt. In the summer coming from I91 to I89 to Randolph exit north to Roxbury Gap or getting off the Norwich exit then south to the gap works great and what a view your treated to at the the top coming from Roxbury.

The way Lostone mentioned thru Bethel from I89 then up Rt 100 is fine. I don't like it cause you easily get behind slow driveers and lose alot of time especially on the Rt 100 section. I also would avoid the Bethel Mt Road way as well.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

I would tend to agree with SRO here. I come up 89 to exit 9 and then take 100B to 100. It is the least amount of time on non-highway roads. Get stuck behind a slow car on 103 or 100 the other way and you're screwed. Coming from Burl, it would obviously be exit 10 and taking 100 south from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Are you saying you get off the Chester exit on I91 then Rt 103 thru Ludlow then Rt 100 at Killington? On a map it looks pretty good but all those miles on state roads will kill ya for time.

Like Lostone says depends on how you define "best". IMHO the fasted is to go on I89 to Middesex exit(about 60 miles) then south on 100B then Rt 100(about 18 miles to MRV from interstate.. Even tho it's the longest of the other 3 options, because most of it is on the interstate vs alot of miles on state roads it is the fastest. I also think it's an incredibley beautiful 18 miles. Along the Mad River then after getting thru Middlesex Village the valley unfolds before you with the Bush looming ahead on the right and Scragg and Waitsfield Mt on the left. I know others have other opinions.

I would not take Roxbury Gap way unless you know for sure what the condition of the road(ice,snow) is. I would avoid that one. It's not a long road for a Vermont gap road but there are a few dicey sections and it is narrow and dirt. In the summer coming from I91 to I89 to Randolph exit north to Roxbury Gap or getting off the Norwich exit then south to the gap works great and what a view your treated to at the the top coming from Roxbury.

The way Lostone mentioned thru Bethel from I89 then up Rt 100 is fine. I don't like it cause you easily get behind slow driveers and lose alot of time especially on the Rt 100 section. I also would avoid the Bethel Mt Road way as well.
    Lots of good points here, though I disagree re: Bethel Mtn Road. It saves 10-15 minutes vs. the 107>100 route, even if you take the shortcut to the Ford dealership. Also, if you do get stuck behind a car (rare, givne how little traffic is on it), you can always take advantage of the fact that VT is one of the few states that allows you to pass on roads with solid double yellow lines. I think it's due to the number of farm tractors that traditionally ply VT's roads. Can get icy during/after a storm though, so you'll need AWD/4WD for sure.

I usually get up near Randolph on 89 around 10:30 or 11:00PM on Friday nights, here's what I do: if there's snow or ice on I-89, go up and over and take 100B to the valley.

If I-89 is dry, get off at exit 5 Northfield. Follow the road a couple of miles down towards Northfield. When you get to the stop sign, drive straight across onto Lovers Lane. This is a rough, 1/2-mile dirt road which ends at a stop sign. Make a left and go about 6 miles until you make a right onto Warren-mountain road at Roxbury.

This is the fastest way as long as it's dry or not mud season.

Quote Originally Posted by Schusseur
    I usually get up near Randolph on 89 around 10:30 or 11:00PM on Friday nights, here's what I do: if there's snow or ice on I-89, go up and over and take 100B to the valley.

If I-89 is dry, get off at exit 5 Northfield. Follow the road a couple of miles down towards Northfield. When you get to the stop sign, drive straight across onto Lovers Lane. This is a rough, 1/2-mile dirt road which ends at a stop sign. Make a left and go about 6 miles until you make a right onto Warren-mountain road at Roxbury.

This is the fastest way as long as it's dry or not mud season.
    I agree with this. But good that you cautioned about the snow/dirt situations- and further I would suggest if one is unfamiliar with those roads, take the opportunity to drive that route in daylight/good weather to acquaint yourself. 100B from exit 9 in bad weather is always my choice.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

With ideal conditions Bethel Mtn. Rd. is the fastest. But, ideal conditions can be a rare thing during winter months.

Remember: Just because you have AWD or in 4WD doesn't mean you are going to stop any faster.

"But I had it in 4WD" I'm sure Allen at Haps has heard these words more than once while he is pulling their veh. out of the snowbank or ditch (this year so far).

Plowboy

Anyone ever try Braintree Mountain Road off 12A? Certainly looks like it's the shortest on a map, but my guess is it gets pretty hairy unless during summer/fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Plowboy
    With ideal conditions Bethel Mtn. Rd. is the fastest. But, ideal conditions can be a rare thing during winter months.

Remember: Just because you have AWD or in 4WD doesn't mean you are going to stop any faster.

"But I had it in 4WD" I'm sure Allen at Haps has heard these words more than once while he is pulling their veh. out of the snowbank or ditch (this year so far).

Plowboy
    Agreed. When it gets hairly, I just stick the lower elevation (and more frequently plowed) Rt. 107. My buddy slipped off Bethel Mtn Rd a month ago in his AWD vehicle. Some of those increasing-radius fallaway turns can be nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt St Pipier
    it gets pretty hairy unless during summer/fall?
    Hairy all the time!!! It's a class 4 rd.. In a jeep it will take you at least 45 mins., on a dirt bike you can do in about 10. Great scenery though.

Oops, I hope that's not a back country stash. LOL