Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    The thing I don't like about madrivervalleyforums.com is its so long, much easier to remember SkiMRV.com if you ask me. Plus by not having 'forum' in the URL you open up the oportunity to expand the site to something more than just forums...
    I agree here.

I like the SkiMRV.com.....

.....and I think it's the searchability that will count....having all the correct search terms/index words come up in the searches.

From my knowledge of what makes good domain names (no expert here), I think SkiMRV.com would be very "sticky" (easily remembered). Just make sure it comes up in all search stuff for SB, MRG, and the Valley.

Re: I like the SkiMRV.com.....

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    .....and I think it's the searchability that will count....having all the correct search terms/index words come up in the searches.

From my knowledge of what makes good domain names (no expert here), I think SkiMRV.com would be very "sticky" (easily remembered). Just make sure it comes up in all search stuff for SB, MRG, and the Valley.
    Yeah, that's what I mean by "brandeable". The page title and content has a much more influence on SE rankings, but with new sites, it's an uphill battle to get them listed so even the most minor SEO techniques used in conjunction help.

With all that said, still no feedback from Jeremy at the 'Bush or Eric at MRG. Let's continue to post actively here and invite folks through the back door. Launching this forum with an established userbase and a lot of posts will help it take off quicker. Have a great holiday. Perhaps we'll officially launch next week.

Just had a nice conversation with Eric from Mad River Glen about this. Obviously, he would like to see MRG represented co-equally, which I think is reasonable. He also made the point how the former Sugarbush Chamber of Commerce is now the Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce and that there is a huge effort to establish "Mad River Valley" as a brand like, for example, Lake Placid or the Mount Washington Valley. With that said, it's my inclination to proceed here with SkiMRV.com as the "brand" to support these forums. Thoughts?

I agree, and thats how I thought MRG would feel. I had a similar convo about the Mad River Valley name change with someone else via PM here. I think you'll see more and more references to MRV so the realitive obscurity of the SkiMRV url will become less and less of an issue. This site may even help promote the MRV name for the Chamber of Commerce...

Are you going to let sugarbushforums.com die, or are you going to point it at SkiMRV?
    Brian

I replied "over there" too, only the over there is not over here. anyway, as I said:
    Make it so, Number One. Engage! I think there may be value in pointing sugarbush forums to skimrv. I found AZ by googling Sugarbush Forum... since I forgot where Lostone had put the crumbs he left. There must be other wingnuts like me out there.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I've set skimrv.com domain to point to this site. Working for me. Is it working for all of you?

Works for me! I'll start spreading the name tomorrow/
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

It works. I think the title on the home page still needs updating--I see the new logo, but the browser still shows "Sugarbush Forums: The (un)Official Message Boards..."

Nice logo, by the way.

[edit: fixed now.]

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    I've set skimrv.com domain to point to this site. Working for me. Is it working for all of you?
    Works here, as a matter of fact I was switched to skimrv.com when tried to view the new posts in this thread...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Works for me! I'll start spreading the name tomorrow/
    Let's sit tight. We'll aim for an official release Wednesday.

Guess I have to...

My plan was to tell people at the mountain today. But they seem to be closed.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.