Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First trip to Sugarbush was with a group of co-workers in February 1991. A few of the guys were in town from Seattle and it was their first eastern mountain skiing experience. We drove up from Boston on a Thursday night and stayed in a condo on Geman Flats Rd. ( Free lodging offerd up by my friend's uncle) It started snowing that night and continued all day Friday. We spent the day in 6+ inches of fresh powder and never left Mount Ellen. I was an amazing day. No crowds, no lines and fresh powder. I was instantly hooked on Sugarbush and the MRV

My first experience was when I was in 1989 when I was 7. The conditions were really good. My favorite trail was Ripcord (ironic, since in another thread now I put it as one of my least favorites!). I pleaded to go on Stein's, but my dad didn't let me. That was pre-snowmaking on Stein's days, so it was the big, ungroomed mogul field. I don't think I ever actually got to ski Stein's before they changed it by adding snowmaking and grooming. If Sugarbush didn't have so much other amazing terrain, I would probably care more about that My dad actually would've taken me to ski Castlerock Run, but the lift wasn't running ... our impression (can't recall why) was that they were saving it for the weekend. From my memory, there certainly seemed to be enough snow to open it. I also skied Organgrinder a couple times, and had some issues there with getting caught in loose snow.
    -Kenny

1st experiance was North. Had a job in Rutland so skied Pico that afternoon. Stayed in Burlington overnight and drove to Mt. Elen. 12 inches of fresh. Couldn't see a dam thing on top, but just an epic day. I was just learning to ski well.

Lincoln Peak a few years later was different. Monday and frigid. Managed a few good runs, then hit some ice bumps. I was in the process of learning to be a bumper so you know how that goes. Pick a line, hit two or three good turns, accelerate, Uh OH ! Tried to bail and the world exploded. With about 4 inches of fresh on top, my friends could see an arm, a leg, a pole. Then BOOM, I hit hard. Had to suck wind to breath. One friend comes up and says crying "IS HE ALIVE?" . But was worth every spill I have taken.
    Coming sooon to a theater near you.

kcyanks1, for the record, Stein's is not groomed all that often.

Others may have better info than I, but I don't think it was groomed three times last year.

I do know that one time, after it was I did a ton of fast runs down it.

When it is bumped up.... not so fast.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone

Others may have better info than I, but I don't think it was groomed three times last year.

IIRC, the times I skied Stein's the past couple years (maybe around 3 different days - I was at SB maybe twice that, but don't make Stein's a priority) it's been half-groomed, half ungroomed. It's probably the snowmaking more that makes the moguls not as fun, or perhaps the steepness has something to do with it. It is probably steeper than Paradise, the Mall, Spillsville, or anything off Castlerock.

Admittedly, a cruising or even steeped groomed run can be fun, even I normally enjoy ungroomed trails.
    -Kenny

Manny moons ago...
    Cutting my teeth skiing spring fling sometime before Thanksgiving!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by kcyanks1

IIRC, the times I skied Stein's the past couple years (maybe around 3 different days - I was at SB maybe twice that, but don't make Stein's a priority) it's been half-groomed, half ungroomed. It's probably the snowmaking more that makes the moguls not as fun, or perhaps the steepness has something to do with it. It is probably steeper than Paradise, the Mall, Spillsville, or anything off Castlerock.

Admittedly, a cruising or even steeped groomed run can be fun, even I normally enjoy ungroomed trails.
    My issue with Steins is that it is always an ice rink. The bumps are far enough apart that you need to slide to the next one and repeat all the way down. Not a fun time IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321

My issue with Steins is that it is always an ice rink. The bumps are far enough apart that you need to slide to the next one and repeat all the way down. Not a fun time IMO.
    Yeah, I think that's part of my issues with it. I think the man-made snow causes the ice. The steepness also could contribute because steeper might mean more sliding between moguls, particularly for those of us (me included) who have a lot of fun with moguls, but, let's say, don't have perfect technique on them I always find the moguls on the natural snow trails at SB much more fun, and I ski them much better.
    -Kenny

Yeah, I think that's part of my issues with it. I think the man-made snow causes the ice. The steepness also could contribute because steeper might mean more sliding between moguls, particularly for those of us (me included) who have a lot of fun with moguls, but, let's say, don't have perfect technique on them I always find the moguls on the natural snow trails at SB much more fun, and I ski them much better.
    Totally agree with ya. I love alot of the bump runs at the Bush. The Mall, Morningstar and Spillsville are some of my favorite trails. Not to mention Paradise and Castlerock. The aforementioned trails are usually about the extent of my inbounds skiing at South. At North, Black Diamond Rush or whatever the hell it's called now is always fun as are Exterminator and Hammerhead.

Totally agree with ya. I love alot of the bump runs at the Bush. The Mall, Morningstar and Spillsville are some of my favorite trails. Not to mention Paradise and Castlerock. The aforementioned trails are usually about the extent of my inbounds skiing at South. At North, Black Diamond Rush or whatever the hell it's called now is always fun as are Exterminator and Hammerhead.
    Seems like we have similar preferences. I haven't been to North in a long time, but I remember liking Exterminator. I don't think I ever got a chance to ski Black Diamond Rush from what I remember. Has anyone here ski Spillsville pre-Ripcord days? I figure at that point it was lengther as instead of dumping into Ripcord it continued down to where the Heaven's Gate chair now is (though wasn't then). Are we missing much now?

-Kenny