Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is your favorite restaurant

John Egans big world is a nice place..Good food!

Dave

This is a great thread as People will be asking me, on the mountain and I don't eat out very much, anymore. I loved The Common Man, but that was a while ago, and they've changed ownership.

This is not saying they aren't still wonderful, just that I haven't heard any first hand reports.

So... Let's have the first hand reports!
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

My favorite was Rosita's, but it shut down, as did the Mad Mexican, which I didn't like quite as much but was less expensive.

There are some good restaurants in the valley, but I'm really a fan of ethnic food and wish we had a good Indian or Thai place. Heck, I'd settle for a cheap taco shop at the moment. There's the Chinese place, but I've eaten there about fifty times already.

I ate at the Common Man with my wife this past summer. We really liked it but it was our first time so I don't have anything to compare it to. I had the venison chops. Very tasty

Rosita's was also my favorite. I was so disappointed when I heard it was closing. Steve (the owner) is a great guy although I don't pretend to know him that well. Apparently he moved Rosita's to Burlington. When I'm there, I'll have to stop in.

Does anyone know why Rosita's closed? The place was always crowded during ski season (at least on weekends). Must not have been enough volume during the offseason and during the week.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by madskier6
    Does anyone know why Rosita's closed? The place was always crowded during ski season (at least on weekends). Must not have been enough volume during the offseason and during the week.
    I think that was probably it, although I noticed that it suspiciously closed soon after we went with some friends whose kids were totally out of control. Maybe that was the final straw.

I liked the old Big World better than the new. The last time I was there the service was terrible. I like the Hyde Away. I know Chez Henri, the Pitcher Inn and the Common Man are very good but with 3 kids they are alittle out of my price range. I have also had good meals at the Den.

When the wife and I go out to eat we go to Montpelier, the Mist Grill(our fav) in Waterbury or Burlington.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    When the wife and I go out to eat we go to Montpelier, the Mist Grill(our fav) in Waterbury or Burlington.
    I have good news and bad news. Mist Grill is gone. BUT, the new tenant is Hen in the Woods. I have heard from local restauteurs who ate there that it was very good.

We have a couple new restaurants coming on line this season- SweetWood at the Powderhound. I have looked at their menu and it should be very nice. Chef/owners is well knownSpace is completely remodeled. The second is the former Bass location. Family dining, family prices. They are doing Breakfast and Dinner. Their menu is good, solid fare. Something for everyone.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Have you tried the Local Folk Smokehouse? I thought it was pretty tasty BBQ and reasonably priced, as well.

No Mexican at the moment, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by KingM
    My favorite was Rosita's, but it shut down, as did the Mad Mexican, which I didn't like quite as much but was less expensive.

There are some good restaurants in the valley, but I'm really a fan of ethnic food and wish we had a good Indian or Thai place. Heck, I'd settle for a cheap taco shop at the moment. There's the Chinese place, but I've eaten there about fifty times already.
    Bummer !

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    I have good news and bad news. Mist Grill is gone. BUT, the new tenant is Hen in the Woods. I have heard from local restauteurs who ate there that it was very good.

We have a couple new restaurants coming on line this season- SweetWood at the Powderhound. I have looked at their menu and it should be very nice. Chef/owners is well knownSpace is completely remodeled. The second is the former Bass location. Family dining, family prices. They are doing Breakfast and Dinner. Their menu is good, solid fare. Something for everyone.
    Bummer about the Mist Grill. Is the new place at Powderhound going to be run by Michael? When he had his place there it was really good and his food is still good from his place by Mehuron's.

KIng - glad to hear a good review about the Local Smokehouse as I have heard both good and bad about it. I am a BBQ fanatic.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Bummer about the Mist Grill. Is the new place at Powderhound going to be run by Michael? When he had his place there it was really good and his food is still good from his place by Mehuron's.
    No, the Powderhound (Condos & Restaurant) were sold this month to Jeff & Tracy Lynn. He was with Common Man (If I remember correctly) in prior years.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Hyde Away and Local Folk.

Both great eateries, cheap, and good friendly service!! You'll bump into all sorts of people at both!

dave

I liked the old Big World better than the new.
    I would agree with this. Although I still like it.
    Dave

American Flatbread is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    American Flatbread is always good.
    That place is so busy I can never get in..
    Dave