Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The MRV restaurant reviews

We had one for last season, and one for further back.

Lately we've had some closings and some changing of hands/operation of the different area eateries.

Love to hear any reports of food / service at any of them.

Was it good? Why?

Was it bad? Why?

Please no flaming, but any honest opinions of places you've tried are welcome.

Name of the place?

Date visited?

Conditions? Was it crowded? Was it a zoo weekend? Was it you and the owners?

What did you have?

What did you think? The food, the service, the ambiance, the experience, in total?

06-09 Edit: Was 07/08 review. I just took out the date to enable it to be ongoing, and made it a sticky, to make it easier to find.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Re: The 07/08 MRV restaurant reviews

Name of the place? Spotted Cow, Bridge St Marketplace

Date visited? Friday dinner, 11/16

Conditions? It was all locals, moderately busy- but not a zoo

What did you have? Our table of 4 had Shrimp Scampi over angelhair pasta; Pork tenderloin medallions, sundried tomatoes, garlic sauce over fettucine; Mixed seafood (shrimp/mussels/clam- if I remember right) over fettucine. We were served nice warm bread with garlic/olive oil for dipping. Apps included escargot stuffed mushroom caps and deep fried calemari with spicy marinara dipping sauce. Nice garden salads. We were wayyy too full for desert.

What did you think? We thoroughly enjoyed our meal selections, though we thought the portions were too big. How's that for different? Prices for entrees were in the teens ,with most expensive $21 (mixed seafood). Nice linen napkins, perfect lighting- not bright, but dimmed enough that we could still easily read the menu. Chef/Owner made rounds to inquire about our dinner- it was the first night they were open for dinner.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

regarding the closings and changes...

can any changes since last winter be posted as well?
    just so some of us can be brought up to speed.
    haven't been up to the valley since last april.

i heard that the den has closed.
    any other changes?
    thanks!

Common Man

Common Man Rest:

Keith and staff are very very very professional and attentive (did I mention they're attentive?) and the food is always 4 star.
    The beet salad is dee-lish.
    Always fresh fish dishes as well.

Bar top was upgraded this season 07-08 to allow for comfortable casual dining.

Been there as a single, as well as one of a couple, and member of a four top and group of 16, with equally good experience no matter what size party.
    Definitely make reservations and ask for the table by the fireplace....

Bottles of Dom line the shelf made by a structural barn timber around the perimeter, and you can purchase, drink, and leave your empty there to commemorate an occasion.

Eaten there many many times on both weekends and midweek, during slow and "zoo" times, and it always was a good experience.

Prices are typical of "suburban" Boston or NY.

Matterhorn

To the owner of Matterhorn at Stowe:

We need you in the Mad River Valley or on the access road to Sugarbush!

Please reply soon.

http://matterhornbar.com/index.asp

I miss the Den for an inexpensive burger and the great sweet potato fries.

My favorite places are The Common Man, Sweetwood Grill & Bar, and Chez Henri. I've also eaten at Timbers with good results and love the big, open space and the fantastic views of the mountain if you're there at the right time of the day.

New sandwich/deli place coming to Sugarbush Village...just got their liquor license approved by the Warren BOS. Mandy something.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    New sandwich/deli place coming to Sugarbush Village...just got their liquor license approved by the Warren BOS. Mandy something.
    Haven't been there but I've heard good things. Clamdigger says the sandwiches are big enough to eat half for lunch and the other half for dinner.
    "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

Breakfast , Purple Moon

Name of the place? Purple Moon

Date visited? Last weekend

Conditions? Good. Was it crowded? 75% full

What did you have? Omlet

What did you think? It was darn good, but not $11 good w/o tip. Also, they need to back off the paprika and salt on the homefries a tad. Other than that, the bread was not typical foodservice crap.
    been valley enthusiast since 1620

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Haven't been there but I've heard good things. Clamdigger says the sandwiches are big enough to eat half for lunch and the other half for dinner.

Name of the place?

Mutta Stuffers? Something like that.....it is across from the SB Day School @ the SB Village.

Date visited?

Saturday

Conditions?

Couple of other customers. Mellow

What did you have?

The guido....a colllossal Italian

What did you think?

Overall good. Service is slow. But the food was good. It is new so be patient.

It is across from the SB day school? The price is 10 bucks. Think of it as 2 sandwiches. They also have a "snack for the ride" (cheese and pepperoni and some other italian meats cut up to go.) pretty cool idea.

I hope the place makes it. Very tough for a new restraunt business to survive in this valley. Good LUCK!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Timbers?

I would love to know if anyone has gone here and if so, how did you like it?

Thanks!

Great timing!

I had lunch at Timbers, yesterday.

Name of the place? Timbers

Date visited? 12/11

Conditions? The place was empty, and didn't deserve to be so.

What did you have? The day before, I rode up the lift with someone who said they were a cook, there; an intern from the Vermont Culinary Institute. I told him I was going there for lunch in the near future. He suggested the Better than a Burger.

On his suggestion, I did so.

What did you think? I thought it was way better than a burger!

It was pieces of very well marinated beef on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes, spinach and dried tomatoes, with a piece of garlic bread. It was great. Service was good, and if you haven't been inside Timbers, you should check it out.

At $13, it seems a little expensive for a lunch, but if you have a burger and fries in the lodge, you are paying $11.75, so it isn't that bad. And instead of sitting in the cafeteria, you are in a very lovely setting.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Great timing!

I had lunch at Timbers, yesterday.

Name of the place? Timbers

Date visited? 12/11

Conditions? The place was empty, and didn't deserve to be so.

What did you have? The day before, I rode up the lift with someone who said they were a cook, there; an intern from the Vermont Culinary Institute. I told him I was going there for lunch in the near future. He suggested the Better than a Burger.

On his suggestion, I did so.

What did you think? I thought it was way better than a burger!

It was pieces of very well marinated beef on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes, spinach and dried tomatoes, with a piece of garlic bread. It was great. Service was good, and if you haven't been inside Timbers, you should check it out.

At $13, it seems a little expensive for a lunch, but if you have a burger and fries in the lodge, you are paying $11.75, so it isn't that bad. And instead of sitting in the cafeteria, you are in a very lovely setting.
    Ditto for Timbers.
    Similar experience last weekend.
    Service was exceptional.

ditto on stuffa's

turns out it is somone from stinkin island.

had the proscuitto/mozzarella stuffed peppers, wow very good.

the fact there is someone cutting decent proscuitto.. yee hah!
    been valley enthusiast since 1620

The Big Picture

Name of the place?
    The Big Picture

Date visited?
    12/21 and 1/4

Conditions? Was it crowded? Was it a zoo weekend? Was it you and the owners?

12/21 the place was full, we had a party of 5, on 1/4 there was always a table open, and we had 3 families (6 adults and 9 kids)

What did you have?
    A lot of everything, from Croque Monsieur to portobello reuben to sushi. All of it excellent

What did you think? The food, the service, the ambiance, the experience, in total?
    The place is a breath of fresh air in the deteriorating food environment of the valley. Truly eclectic menu, of fun different food (along with burgers). It isn't fast food (meaning the service isn't rushed, but it isn't slow.) Kid firendly. We've gone twice in two weeks and we rarely go out.

My taste's are more towards Local Folk than a more pretentious place, because in most cases, the food at my house is better than going out. I can't stand paying big money for food I can do better myself. I like food that is honest, and has "integrity". You'll like this place.