Trends of recent winters...should we be worried?

I'd like to start another discussion thread to get some anechdotal evidence from the wide range of experience here.

2 winters ago, we had average snowfall but the temps were steadily below freezing so our snow pack was fantastic through the season.

Last winter was absolutely dreadful and should never be spoken of again.

This winter has been an emotional roller coaster. Every time we build momentum with some serious snowfall, Mama Na comes in and pisses all over us with spring like temps and rain.

For the long term SB/MRV vets on here, are these last two winters a new trend or the occasional anomaly that can be seen if you look at longer term seasonal records? Should we be worried these up and down warm winters are the new normal or has this happened in the past only for things to return to cold and snowy the following winters?

I would have to guess, if the internet was around, this question would have been posted in the early 1970s, and the early 1990s

Quote Originally Posted by brave fellow View Post
    I'd like to start another discussion thread to get some anechdotal evidence from the wide range of experience here.

2 winters ago, we had average snowfall but the temps were steadily below freezing so our snow pack was fantastic through the season.

Last winter was absolutely dreadful and should never be spoken of again.

This winter has been an emotional roller coaster. Every time we build momentum with some serious snowfall, Mama Na comes in and pisses all over us with spring like temps and rain.

For the long term SB/MRV vets on here, are these last two winters a new trend or the occasional anomaly that can be seen if you look at longer term seasonal records? Should we be worried these up and down warm winters are the new normal or has this happened in the past only for things to return to cold and snowy the following winters?
    we've seen much worse. a few seasons do not make a new reality. northern VT has been extraordinarily unlucky the last 5-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    we've seen much worse. a few seasons do not make a new reality. northern VT has been extraordinarily unlucky the last 5-6 years.
    And winter is not over yet. Josh Fox hasn't been that on this year, but I like his recent blog.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    And winter is not over yet. Josh Fox hasn't been that on this year, but I like his recent blog.
    Agreed. I'm not giving up yet either and am optimistic that Josh's latest blog will be right and yield some powder back on the mountain.

There have been worse winters. In the 80's I was on a ski trip in March and there were only like 10 trails open. Mind you this was before the ASC snow making upgrades but still pretty bad. I think that volatile winters will become more frequent. This is what the national weather service predicts with the ongoing climate change. That is why I push for snowmaking upgrades.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!