Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I here Vail likes really screw you on parking change something like 25 a day. After 40 days thats an extra thousand dollars so you need to average splitting that between 3.33 people to cover the difference.

We are speculating on parking. But either way let the cheap people flee from the Bush. If they don't understand what they have here then their loss. Maybe less people in the woods tracking it up. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Orca, is epic paying for my airfare, lodging, ground transportation, etc at the western resorts? If not, something tells me those will cost a lot more than the extra $300 or so that an SB pass costs vs Epic.

No, cdskier, Epic is not paying for those things. And neither is Sugarbush. Your point is irrelevant because it is a false equivalence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    We are speculating on parking. But either way let the cheap people flee from the Bush. If they don't understand what they have here then their loss. Maybe less people in the woods tracking it up. Ha!

Yes, let people flee from Sugarbush! That is a good plan, except those people that we see as constituting crowds and trackers up of woods are also what businesses refer to as customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Yes, let people flee from Sugarbush! That is a good plan, except those people that we see as constituting crowds and trackers up of woods are also what businesses refer to as customers.
    I think you are totally over estimating the impact.

No, cdskier, Epic is not paying for those things. And neither is Sugarbush. Your point is irrelevant because it is a false equivalence.
    No it isn't a false equivalent. Skiing at sugarbush doesn't involve airfare and if you took the time to read this thread you would know I own a condo here so there's no extra lodging cost for me either. If you don't understand why people like me and others that said we aren't jumping ship are doing so, then you don't understand our reasons for skiing here in the first place. You bringing up the western resorts on the epic pass is what is irrelevant to me as it has limited value for me personally.

Feel free to do what you want, but saving 300 to deal with the crowds you will see at Stowe with that cheap of a pass is not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think you are totally over estimating the impact.

Likewise I think the crowd issue at Stowe is likely being overstated. Holidays and Saturdays with good snow will likely be busy but they'll be busy anywhere. A foot of snow falls on Friday before a February weekend and I'm waiting for 25 minutes at the base of Castlerock for my first run.

The end result is you have multiple layers of customers. There are the people like Hawk, cdskier, etc that are very loyal fans. Those people aren't going anywhere even if Sugarbush charges $2,200 for a pass or Stowe/Killington/Jay offered free passes. Especially if you own something at a given mountain its silly to even talk about it.

Normally the segment that is passionate enough to come onto a chat board about said area isn't going to leave no matter what happens. With that said, there is a huge portion of skiers that aren't as passionate and do make choices based on prices or other attributes. Those are the ones that Win will need to figure out how to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post

Feel free to do what you want, but saving 300 to deal with the crowds you will see at Stowe with that cheap of a pass is not my cup of tea.
    Yeah this just highlights my point about the hardcore passionate crowd isn't going anywhere regardless. Before it was i wouldn't pay the extra money to go to Stowe. Now its I wouldn't go to Stowe to save some money. Bottom line is no matter what happens you aren't going to Stowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    Yeah this just highlights my point about the hardcore passionate crowd isn't going anywhere regardless. Before it was i wouldn't pay the extra money to go to Stowe. Now its I wouldn't go to Stowe to save some money. Bottom line is no matter what happens you aren't going to Stowe.
    Saving money is one thing, but it isn't just about the money for many people. That was my point. If price was the only concern, there are places even cheaper people could go.

Don't get me wrong, Stowe has some great terrain (although I do still prefer SB). You say the crowd issue is being overblown. Maybe it is a bit, but you also have to consider the simple fact that SB can handle more people than STowe can. SB has over 25k hourly uphill capacity vs stowe's 15.5k. That's a pretty big difference. Sure on a powder day CR can have a long line, but that is one lift and there are plenty of others to pick from. At Stowe if the four runner has a long line, that's a big chunk of terrain you are waiting to access. Up until this point, stowe's high price has helped keep the crowds in check a bit. Epic can certainly change that. Maybe it won't. Maybe it will. Only time will tell.

Much like Hawk though, I don't believe we will see a mass exodus from SB. There will still be plenty of people here. Even for people that are concerned about price, there are still a variety of scenarios where SB will be cheaper than epic. We can have fun with the math once everyone actually announces their new pass prices. Right now there are simply a lot of assumptions and speculation being made.

$2,200 SB passes v. free Stowe passes??? Do you have brain damage or do you have some sort of fetish for Win Smith? You might just represent the 1% --- of Win adulators that is. Good grief.

The IRON LAW is that is always comes down to economics. Sentimentalism be damned.

Wake up!
    Last edited by Orca; 02-25-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Rumor: Vail to buy Stowe.

Well this is very entertaining.

Last edited by cdskier; 02-25-2017 at 11:04 PM.

$2,200 SB passes v. free Stowe passes??? Do you have brain damage or do you have some sort of fetish for Win Smith? You might just represent the 1% --- of Win adulators that is. Good grief.

The IRON LAW is that is always comes down to economics. Sentimentalism be damned.

Wake up!
    We are talking about $300 here and that does not sway me to move. Everybody here knows my history With Win but my only real gripe is snow making. He has done a good job on pretty much everything else. I will say that if you don't think that the new pass will not make Stowe considerably more busy then we will see. In the end that will be a small fraction of people from all other places. After all we are talking one resort. They can't absorb that many more people but a 10-20% increase on the weekends will crush them. The expensive tickets are what regulated the crowds. I skied at Stowe a fair bit and know a lot of people there. The locals are all scared of this deal. I don't blame them

Wake up!
    Thanks for the Chuckle Orca

I agree with you,... This will certainly have an impact on SB season pass holders,.... I'm selfishly hoping it will impact my experience in a good way - by decreasing traffic at SB.

Few things to consider:
    1) For the 4-20's and the 30's - now for an extra $300 - they can go to Stowe and all the other Vail resorts
    2) for the full price SB pass holders - that do not own real estate in the MRV, there will certainly be people the move to Stowe - as its 300 bucks cheaper and you get all the other areas on the pass
    3) for Anyone one that skis out west 1x per year - this pass is a serious bargain! The MTN collective pass does nothing for me - unless I can ski at 1 area for 6 days.

Have to agree

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post

I agree with you,... This will certainly have an impact on SB season pass holders,.... I'm selfishly hoping it will impact my experience in a good way - by decreasing traffic at SB.

Few things to consider:
    1) For the 4-20's and the 30's - now for an extra $300 - they can go to Stowe and all the other Vail resorts
    2) for the full price SB pass holders - that do not own real estate in the MRV, there will certainly be people the move to Stowe - as its 300 bucks cheaper and you get all the other areas on the pass
    3) for Anyone one that skis out west 1x per year - this pass is a serious bargain! The MTN collective pass does nothing for me - unless I can ski at 1 area for 6 days.
    The fact that you can go to any area for 6 days or more or even make multiple trips will be very hard to pass up at the epic current price

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post

Few things to consider:
    Thanks, cdskier and djd66, for taking my post in the humorous spirit in which it was intended. I read the post this morning and realized it could be read as personally insulting. I didn't mean it that way; please take no insult, Sugarbushskier9. Just having some fun.