Skier past away at the Bush this weekend

Thoughts and prayers with that family. What a tragedy. Wear a helmet and stay under control out there!

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...bush/96651732/

What trail was involved?

I am going to guess Sleeper. That trail is easy enough people don't ski cautiously, groomed, plenty of trees to hit, gets icy, and crowded with not very good skiers.

It was at North not sure what trail though. I do have a idea for Sugarbush though. You should post your Emergency Dispatch number at all entrances, ski lift boards, and bulletin boards. On those posting you should stress people save that number into their phones. Two days ago I was waved down by someone because his buddy went into the woods and went unconscious. I went down and found the first Sugarbush employee I could find and she called the same number which I can find on your website. If I had any previous knowledge of this number I could of saved 5 minutes which, in some cases, can be life and death.

The emergency dispatch info signs still only have a Walkie Talkie channel written on them. Those need to be replaced. At least all the resort numbers are listed in there phone app.

I would guess the at North the split in Elbow and between Mainstream and the North Ridge at North.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    The emergency dispatch info signs still only have a Walkie Talkie channel written on them. Those need to be replaced. At least all the resort numbers are listed in there phone app.
    The emergency # is listed on the back of the trail map, for those that still use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Newschoolers View Post
    It was at North not sure what trail though. I do have a idea for Sugarbush though. You should post your Emergency Dispatch number at all entrances, ski lift boards, and bulletin boards. On those posting you should stress people save that number into their phones. Two days ago I was waved down by someone because his buddy went into the woods and went unconscious. I went down and found the first Sugarbush employee I could find and she called the same number which I can find on your website. If I had any previous knowledge of this number I could of saved 5 minutes which, in some cases, can be life and death.
    Cruiser. Very sad. A young father of three children. Our thoughts and prayers
    Are with the family at this terrible time.

Even the best skier can catch an edge in the best of conditions and at speeds over 15 mph even a helmet may not help if you hit a tree.

Always sad to hear something like this. Very tragic

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    at speeds over 15 mph even a helmet may not help if you hit a tree.
    Really? I think a helmet in almost ALL circumstances will help if you hit a tree going 15-20 mph. I really want to know your logic on that statement.

Really? I think a helmet in almost ALL circumstances will help if you hit a tree going 15-20 mph. I really want to know your logic on that statement.
    The logic is in a study on the topic written by experts on ski safety (including a professor from Rochester Institute of Technology...my alma mater!): https://books.google.com/books?id=nV...page&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    The logic is in a study on the topic written by experts on ski safety (including a professor from Rochester Institute of Technology...my alma mater!): https://books.google.com/books?id=nV...page&q&f=false
    You're citing a book which was published 10 years ago? Helmets and research have gone a long way since then.
    Last edited by Newschoolers; 01-18-2017 at 12:58 AM.

You're citing a book which was published 10 years ago? Helmets and research have gone a long way since then.
    The point is that everyone should wear a helmet and it will help in many circumstances but a helmet does not protect one very well if a tree is hit at at a very high rate of speed and a helmet does not protect the chest. Ski safely.

You'd be surprised. The current standards helmets are tested against still only use ~15mph as the testing guideline for providing protection. G forces during impact increase exponentially as speed increases. While we continue to see advances in helmet design and protection, moderate to high speed direct impact events are still a major weakness as it is difficult to overcome physics.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    The point is that everyone should wear a helmet and it will help in many circumstances but a helmet does not protect one very well if a tree is hit at at a very high rate of speed and a helmet does not protect the chest. Ski safely.
    Exactly. Some people assume a helmet will prevent injury no matter what. Everyone should wear one as it certainly helps, but you should still ski as if you aren't wearing one. And unfortunately with or without a helmet, tragic accidents will still happen.

Helmets are a valuable tool but no panacea unfortunately. Best to never have to find out how much protection they actually provide. But anyone who thinks they insure against injury or even just serious injury, is sorely mistaken.
    Thoughts and prayers to the family.