Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    Nice looks like peer pressure works! Sort of like would Stowe be making snow today if Killington didn't? And if Killington and Stowe didn't today, would Sugarbush tonight/tomorrow? By Sunday we'll see Jay and Smuggs making snow too. Ha ha
    And Smuggs has fired up the snow guns.

We can all thank Killington. I highly doubt other areas wouldve made snow if Killington didn't start the trend. This is an example of good competition for VT skiers and riders...no one wants to be left out.

Orca hits the nail on the head. This is exactly what I have been saying for years. Nice job kid. This is my only real gripe with what I consider an almost perfect mountain. Alas I can only dream that. Anyway thanks for turning on the guns for at least one more weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Observations: SB makes snow on a trail to get it open and continues to make snow until the depth is such that the trail can reasonably be expected to remain covered for the season. After that it is up to Mother Nature and grooming to maintain the surface. SB doesn't use snowmaking to resurface and improve the experience once sufficient snow depth is established. SB puts away the guns as soon as possible for cost containment. Snowmaking almost never happens in March. Basically, SB is not a premier snowmaking place, for better or worse.

On the plus side, SB is blessed with more natural snow than most New England ski areas.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

It was a pleasure to make snow for everyone. We had planned to do more (Pushover, Easy Rider) but other problems were found and could not be rectified in the window that we had. But doing a gun run on Snowball/Spring Fling and seeing everyone enjoying the product made us all feel good (especially for someone who usually works under the cover of darkness).

Here's to hoping Ma 'Nature helps us out for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    It was a pleasure to make snow for everyone. We had planned to do more (Pushover, Easy Rider) but other problems were found and could not be rectified in the window that we had. But doing a gun run on Snowball/Spring Fling and seeing everyone enjoying the product made us all feel good (especially for someone who usually works under the cover of darkness).

Here's to hoping Ma 'Nature helps us out for the rest of the season.
    Thanks Shady - that was some nice product! I really enjoyed doing laps on Spring Fling today!!

Just curious - if the were hoses in place - how long does it take to light up the Snowball/Spring Fling Pod? How many workers do you need to set up and run?

Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Thanks Shady - that was some nice product! I really enjoyed doing laps on Spring Fling today!!

Just curious - if the were hoses in place - how long does it take to light up the Snowball/Spring Fling Pod? How many workers do you need to set up and run?
    It varies... anywhere from 1-4 hours to light up, depending on what you may encounter. The more guys you have, the faster it goes. I had a crew of 4 with me on Saturday, not including our controller. All of us on that crew were "borrowed" from other departments for this weekend's light-up.

Really nice job shady! Spring Fling was great both yesterday and today. That snow was so nice and dry (of course I'm sure the super cold temps created perfect conditions for that). I do wish Sugarbush did this type of thing more often in years with poor conditions due to crappy weather (so like Hawk the lack of this type of resurfacing as needed is really the only complaint I have about SB that I can think of).

Has anyone noticed some of the photos on social media of the snowmaking look like they were from November? There's very similar photos on November 13th lol, same two snowmakers. It can't be that hard to get outside and get some great snowmaking shots from current time.

I never really understood that, I've noticed it as well in the image of the day gallery that there are quite a few that are obviously not from the day they weee posted. But I guess it is "image of the day" not "image from today."

Great job Shady, fun to see Sugarbush making snow in March. Thanks for the effort.

Indeed, some of the shots posted on the FB page were from earlier in the season. But I did get some fresh shots from yesterday, which can be found in my 2016/2017 album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyj...7661008287132/

It's not always easy to get good snowmaking shots. Sunrise shots are the best, if you're in the right place at the right time. My shots are all taken with my phone camera, which wasn't working the best in the sub-zero temps during the day.

Weren't a few photos posted to announce they were going to make snow, hence those photos had to be taken earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Weren't a few photos posted to announce they were going to make snow, hence those photos had to be taken earlier in the year.

Yes. They were identified as being from earlier in the year.

Don't know if I missed it somewhere, what's up with Northridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    Don't know if I missed it somewhere, what's up with Northridge?
    The info is back a couple pages posted on 3/2 by win. Motor blew and was shipped out to be evaluated whether it could be repaired or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Yes. They were identified as being from earlier in the year.
    Oh didn't see that on the FB posts. Saw one on Insta.

You guys are on the Mountain Collective now as I was told weeks ago. Looks like it was announced today. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    Oh didn't see that on the FB posts. Saw one on Insta.

You guys are on the Mountain Collective now as I was told weeks ago. Looks like it was announced today. Congrats.
    Just got the email from the mountain plus from my house crew. One thing we can't seem to agree on: if a SB season pass holder does NOT buy an MC pass, does the SB season pass holder still get 50% off all the MC mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Yeah the one I saw was on Saturday posted to FB after the guns had been running for a day. Look at Sat AM post and no mention of it from November.