Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djd66 View Post
    Quite honestly, I wish the mountain would rethink its snow making schedule. Given the past 3 out of 4 seasons - to me it makes sense to blow some snow in a lean February/March like we have this year. Just like Mortimer said - turn those machines on!!!

If the season is going to be over at the end of March, I may need to rethink my seasons pass purchase in the future.

I know turning the guns on may not make sense right now from a financial perspective, but if there is any money left in the budget, would be nice to see a refresh.

It's funny, I remember skiing into late April every year, now it's nice if we can make it through March.
    While I agree I would at least like to see a bit of snowmaking being done now (if for nothing more than to not be the odd man out with everyone else seemingly making some snow), I don't agree that we've had that many questions of whether we could make it through March. In 2013, 2014, and 2015, the mountain was still 100% open at the end of March. In 2016 my last day was April 17, in 2015 it was April 26, in 2014 it was May 3, and in 2013 it was April 21. Other than the May 3rd date, all those were personal last dates for me but the mountain was still open after that. 2012 was the only year in the last 5 seasons where I only skied until the end of March due to lack of snow (and the mountain closed early April that year as did most everyone else in the Northeast). Every other year the mountain has been open late into April or even the first weekend of May.

This year could be another story...we'll have to wait and see how the weather goes. The late spring skiing trails don't look quite as deep to me as other years, but I'm not basing this on anything scientific or quantitative so my eyes could easily be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    While I agree I would at least like to see a bit of snowmaking being done now (if for nothing more than to not be the odd man out with everyone else seemingly making some snow), I don't agree that we've had that many questions of whether we could make it through March. In 2013, 2014, and 2015, the mountain was still 100% open at the end of March. In 2016 my last day was April 17, in 2015 it was April 26, in 2014 it was May 3, and in 2013 it was April 21. Other than the May 3rd date, all those were personal last dates for me but the mountain was still open after that. 2012 was the only year in the last 5 seasons where I only skied until the end of March due to lack of snow (and the mountain closed early April that year as did most everyone else in the Northeast). Every other year the mountain has been open late into April or even the first weekend of May.

This year could be another story...we'll have to wait and see how the weather goes. The late spring skiing trails don't look quite as deep to me as other years, but I'm not basing this on anything scientific or quantitative so my eyes could easily be wrong.
    The facts are that since we have owned Sugarbush we have been one of the last three or four ski areas in the East to close. That is because we make a lot of extra snow on our spring trails: Stein's, Spring Fling, Snowball and Spring Fling. The only area who has stayed open later has been Killington with Super Star. We have a lot of depth left of trails where we have made snow. Can't do anything about natural trails. I don't know the shape of others. That said we had a heavy grooming plan last night and will assess everything today.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    The facts are that since we have owned Sugarbush we have been one of the last three or four ski areas in the East to close. That is because we make a lot of extra snow on our spring trails: Stein's, Spring Fling, Snowball and Spring Fling. The only area who has stayed open later has been Killington with Super Star. We have a lot of depth left of trails where we have made snow. Can't do anything about natural trails. I don't know the shape of others. That said we had a heavy grooming plan last night and will assess everything today.
    To me the snowmaking trails at Lincoln peak do not seem at deep as last year. Does Stiens have a 8 foot base like it did this time last year? Birch looks like its getting bottlenecked more and more. Some of the rollers on snowball were showing bare spots. It also looks like the other day you were loosing the right side of downspout.
    Last edited by nhskier1969; 03-03-2017 at 10:07 PM.

The grooming team did a very nice job last night including on Stein's and tonight we will get to some other trails that we could not do last night like Ripcord. While the mountains has been put back together well, we are going to resume snowmaking on a number of the Gatehouse and Valley House trails this evening. We are calling back snowmakers from their lift and grooming jobs to patch a couple of air leaks today and then fire up this evening. With the temperatures forecasted tonight we should see some nice soft powder on a number of trails tomorrow morning. So bundle up and come on out.

Good to hear. Was starting to be on the fence about this weekend. This might convince my daughter to join me too.

That's very good news. If nothing else, it is good PR to have the guns running.

Quote Originally Posted by teleo View Post
    Good to hear. Was starting to be on the fence about this weekend. This might convince my daughter to join me too.
    Good luck! Bundle up for tomorrow. Sunday will be a lot warmer. As I said I was really pleased with the grooming this morning and did the first run down Stein's. Plan is to touch up portions of Upper Sleeper, Lower Pushover, Easy Rider and run on Upper Snowball and Spring Fling and in the LP base area. Will run all night and start turning of in the morning to make for a pleasant day. Hopefully the winds will cooperate.

this dude is a boss, but mark this as something you shouldn't try at sugarbush this weekend

https://www.facebook.com/goflythere/...5637534572527/

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    The grooming team did a very nice job last night including on Stein's and tonight we will get to some other trails that we could not do last night like Ripcord. While the mountains has been put back together well, we are going to resume snowmaking on a number of the Gatehouse and Valley House trails this evening. We are calling back snowmakers from their lift and grooming jobs to patch a couple of air leaks today and then fire up this evening. With the temperatures forecasted tonight we should see some nice soft powder on a number of trails tomorrow morning. So bundle up and come on out.
    Thats what I'm talking about! Thank Win. My previous post was much less about what Sugarbush is doing - rather what the weather seems to have been doing over the past 3 out of 4 seasons. I'm not a scientist - so who the hell know what is is up. All I know - March use to be the biggest snow month of the year,... not so much anymore. I do not envy you or your job at all. If I were in your shoes - I would be a major alcoholic or be heavily medicated - or both!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    Any chance for snowmaking to freshen things up this weekend?

I see Stowe is turning on the guns and so is Killington.,.

Sometimes peer pressure works
    Nice looks like peer pressure works! Sort of like would Stowe be making snow today if Killington didn't? And if Killington and Stowe didn't today, would Sugarbush tonight/tomorrow? By Sunday we'll see Jay and Smuggs making snow too. Ha ha

Observations: SB makes snow on a trail to get it open and continues to make snow until the depth is such that the trail can reasonably be expected to remain covered for the season. After that it is up to Mother Nature and grooming to maintain the surface. SB doesn't use snowmaking to resurface and improve the experience once sufficient snow depth is established. SB puts away the guns as soon as possible for cost containment. Snowmaking almost never happens in March. Basically, SB is not a premier snowmaking place, for better or worse.

On the plus side, SB is blessed with more natural snow than most New England ski areas.

Nice job by mountain ops. Other than the cold, it was very enjoyable out there today. The groomers did a nice job and the inch or so from Mother Nature added a nice touch. Runs under the guns on snowball and spring fling were sweet. Thanks for turning on the guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it was cold, but the mtn skiing was good all over, and especially good on snowball to fling. Win, thanks for the guns! And yes, my daughter came up but too cold for her, so off to sharc now.