Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Come on,... Seriously people? Yeah, they are not running the lifts b/c they don't want to spend the money. I can't believe someone was complaining about this (well, actually I can). What impresses me is that they got Castle Rock up and running and people hiked up there to ski,.... That's awesome!

No real need for me to respond since a number of you did already. If you were here yesterday, you would know why all but CR were on windhold. Some of the nastiest winds I have seen here. And yes, kids were not safe on the Welcome Mat. What impressed me were the number of hikers not only to CR but everywhere. I saw one mom with three kids later in the day who told me her preteen son and two friends hiked up and skied Sleeper and had their best run ever. All three kids gave me high fives. Sugarbush skiers and riders are awesome.

Mother Nature will send some Valentine's love today and later this week. Looks like a great weekend shaping up.
    Last edited by winjr; 02-14-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Any bets on how long how long this line was. I am going with just over an hour, with the kine in the picture on facebook reaching too far up the hill to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Benski; 02-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    Any bets on how long how long this line was. I am going with just over an hour, with the kine in the picture on facebook reaching too far up the hill to see.
    Here is another picture
    image1.jpg

I heard the single chair at MRG was worse

I wish I got a shot of the exodus from a full Valley House and Super Bravo corral yesterday when the word came that Castlerock was open for hiking. I heard the lift line for CR was up around the bend and up the connection a ways, probably ending somewhere near the bottom of Cotillion. That's a LONG lift line!

I can further assure those wondering that the winds were intense all over the mountain. Anyone who hiked up to the Gate House plateau or to the top of Valley House would know. After talking with the lift mechanics today (who check the wind every 30 minutes on a lift that is on wind hold), it was some of the gnarliest wind they've seen. I'm going on almost 10 years working here and don't recall ever seeing the wind affect both mountains and (almost) all the lifts. Usually its just one mountain or the other, or the upper lifts at both mountains. But yesterday, the wind direction was variable and the gusts were intense. Kudos to those who hiked up yesterday in those conditions!

Today was a picture-perfect day. Blue skies, comfortable temps, and calm winds. And the snow wasn't bad either!

A line to the bottom of cotillion would have been 1321'. Estimating 5'8" per skier the line was 233 pairs long, assuming it was one continues line. The corral is 60' so if there were 4 lines in the corral then there would have been about 263 pairs skiers in line. I think only 3 chairs load a minuet so that would be an 87.6 minuet wait assuming everyone was waiting in pairs. Sounds bad enough you might as well spend all day hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    A line to the bottom of cotillion would have been 1321'. Estimating 5'8" per skier the line was 233 pairs long, assuming it was one continues line. The corral is 60' so if there were 4 lines in the corral then there would have been about 263 pairs skiers in line. I think only 3 chairs load a minuet so that would be an 87.6 minuet wait assuming everyone was waiting in pairs. Sounds bad enough you might as well spend all day hiking.
    We were estimating an hour but did not do Benski's math. Someone told we the drive up the access road to Stowe on the Access road was even longer.

Our weather forecaster this morning is predicting 7-11" by Friday and he is usuallly conservative. Winds not as bad this time.

Was anything done for those who purchased lift tickets, and were left with little to no options?

Whats going on with the snow stake? Have they given up? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Njski View Post
    Was anything done for those who purchased lift tickets, and were left with little to no options?
    Yes. If you had an issue email me directly. wsmith@sugarbush.com

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    Whats going on with the snow stake? Have they given up? LOL
    No! Probably have to dig out more around it today

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Yes. If you had an issue email me directly. wsmith@sugarbush.com
    Thanks Win. I was not there, but I appreciate your concern. I am sure it was handled in the usual professional way that has helped form Sugarbush's reputation.

Here are a few shots of the hike and the line. The line wasn't all that bad and moved into the corral pretty quickly -- maybe 40 mins. The ride up was so cold and most smart folks made a stop in the warming hut. It really was a tribute to the SB community that hundreds of people said "let's go -- we have to hike to ski, so be it" and with minimal complaint. My six year old did most of the hike on his own before my wife offered to tow him the last pitch. Other kids were crawling but they all made it. It was fun! IMG_1180.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1172.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Njski View Post
    Thanks Win. I was not there, but I appreciate your concern. I am sure it was handled in the usual professional way that has helped form Sugarbush's reputation.
    Absolutely handled it the right way. Plenty of announcements in the Gate House Lodge and Guest Services was very accommodating to the people I had up as guests with day tickets.

Looks like tomorrow and this weekend should be great!

Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post
    Here are a few shots of the hike and the line. The line wasn't all that bad and moved into the corral pretty quickly -- maybe 40 mins. The ride up was so cold and most smart folks made a stop in the warming hut. It really was a tribute to the SB community that hundreds of people said "let's go -- we have to hike to ski, so be it" and with minimal complaint. My six year old did most of the hike on his own before my wife offered to tow him the last pitch. Other kids were crawling but they all made it. It was fun! IMG_1180.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1172.jpg
    Sugarbusher skiers and riders don't need heated bubble quads to have adventure and camaraderie. ��