Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

Well played Christmas eve snow report. I'll post it here for posterity.

Status update for Sat, Dec 24

1:40 PM

'Twas the night before Christmas when across Sugarbush, groomers were planning the snow they would push.

Skis hung in the Farmhouse all waxed with great care, awaiting fresh tracks off the 8 AM chair.

Heaven's Gate spins 8 AM until quarter-to-four. Super Bravo and GMX spin 15 minutes more.

9 to 4, we'll see lower mountain lifts come alive. All upper lifts spin 9 to 3:45.

In the Valley we're nestled all snug in our beds, while corduroy visions dance in our heads.

Cord on Jester, on Rim Run, on Inverness, on Snowball! Check the "trail status" tab for a list of them all.

Straight Shot and Easy Rider freestyle features bespatter, with 9 jibs on the first, and 7 on the latter.

The time for the Big Park is now drawing near. 22 features will provide some Sunny D cheer!

Snowmakers missing dinners with cranberry jelly, are hard at work on 7 trails we'll soon ski, ride, and tele.

Just as we wondered about getting around, up the road comes Mad Bus with a bound.

Check our webcams should any new snow appear. Review Skier Responsibility. Be Better Here!

Join us this week for events sure to delight.

Happy Holidays to all - may they always be white!

I thought the same thing when I read the report this afternoon. Well done indeed!

Written by Emily, our new snow reporter this winter.

I sent kudos to John, which I know will be passed along...nice job!

Excellent.
    Merry xmas

That's an awesome report! Loved it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Written by Emily, our new snow reporter this winter.
    Win so you guys have a full time snow reporter like some other mountains or is it sort of whoevers there? It seems like throughout the week there's John A, John B, Emily, Nadine, and I feel like I'm missing one more. Is it sort of shared by the marketing staff depending on the day?

FYI Emily is really good on the phone report. Nice tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    Win so you guys have a full time snow reporter like some other mountains or is it sort of whoevers there? It seems like throughout the week there's John A, John B, Emily, Nadine, and I feel like I'm missing one more. Is it sort of shared by the marketing staff depending on the day?

FYI Emily is really good on the phone report. Nice tempo.
    What's a phone report?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    What's a phone report?
    That's when you read the report on your phone;>)

Emily is main reporter and John A or John B fill in on her days off.. you can call the snow phone at 802-583-7669 (snow)

Today was better than what we feared. It started off snowing last night at the summit and about 3" accumulated at the summit before the freezing rain then warmer temps came in. Nothing at the stake by the morning but the snow most places on the mountain early on was soft and spring like. Colder temps are coming in and firming it up but with the wind drying things out, human grooming today and a heavy grooming schedule tonight the snowmaking trails should be nice tomorrow morning. We closed the natural trails to preserve them. They will set up and we should have a number of them open tomorrow. We will also check Castlerock to see if we should open for hiking. Birch is being winched tonight along with Ripcord and we will be running North Lynx. Still not enough snow cover for Slidebrook though. ME held up well too, so they will be some nice cruising there and the upper park will be open with the full park likely on Thursday. Snowmaking tonight on Sleeper, Lower Snowball, Racer's Edge, Inverness, Brambles, Sugar Run and Northway.

Then there is Thursday and maybe another weekend clipper. Here's Hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Today was better than what we feared. It started off snowing last night at the summit and about 3" accumulated at the summit before the freezing rain then warmer temps came in. Nothing at the stake by the morning but the snow most places on the mountain early on was soft and spring like. Colder temps are coming in and firming it up but with the wind drying things out, human grooming today and a heavy grooming schedule tonight the snowmaking trails should be nice tomorrow morning. We closed the natural trails to preserve them. They will set up and we should have a number of them open tomorrow. We will also check Castlerock to see if we should open for hiking. Birch is being winched tonight along with Ripcord and we will be running North Lynx. Still not enough snow cover for Slidebrook though. ME held up well too, so they will be some nice cruising there and the upper park will be open with the full park likely on Thursday. Snowmaking tonight on Sleeper, Lower Snowball, Racer's Edge, Inverness, Brambles, Sugar Run and Northway.

Then there is Thursday and maybe another weekend clipper. Here's Hoping!
    Thanks for the report Win! Glad it was better than expected. I'm taking the holiday week off. I did have one question though on the snow yesterday afternoon. The snow cam looked to accumulate 3" in the afternoon whenever it was shoveled off. I'm assuming that's what you are talking about because after 4pm it doesn't look like anything accumulates at the stake? If so, my sister in law was snowboarding during that time and said there were a few snowflakes but nothing close to sticking or accumulation. I'm not going to lie I've watched the time-lapse a bunch of times and I don't see any snowflakes falling like the other times this year. Where did that snow come from? I also don't see 3" of snow that falls and melts? The time-lapse is pretty easy unless the time stamp is wrong?
    Last edited by Sugarbushskier9; 12-27-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    What's a phone report?
    LOL i meant the snow phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    LOL i meant the snow phone.
    Oh, I took Howie's comment to be an insinuation that he was surprised people still call the snow phone.