Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

But the mountain is skiing great right now. Pic from Sat.
    IMG_1692.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    When the Groomer team hits spring fling in the next several days, hopefully they can give a little love to the bottom of moonshine, the waterbars are pretty tough.
    There's not enough snow to groom on Lower Moonshine so why bother

What I am saying is can they push some of the man made snow from Spring fling to the very bottom runout of Moonshine where it meets spring fling

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    What I am saying is can they push some of the man made snow from Spring fling to the very bottom runout of Moonshine where it meets spring fling
    We ran longer at the bottom of Fling since that is a big area to cover and there are some big waterbars at the bottom of Fling that needed to be covered up. Probably not enough to push towards Moonshine. But at the rate this season is going so far, they'll fill in nicely as time goes on.

Last night we ran on Pushover/Lower Pushover and started on Easy Rider. Domino Chute, Middle Jester and Lower OG are next, we got them set up last night. There are definitely a few gnarly waterbars near where Lower Jester meets Downspout at Castlerock Cutoff. I don't know how I cleared them last Wednesday, but they were fun! In fact, everything was fun. My best run down Murphy's and Lower Birdland in years!!! Hope to be out enjoying my work over the next 2 days.

When I drove by the base a little while ago it looked like the guns were going on lower og. I think I need to make getting over to CR this week a priority. Any recent reports on how CR is holding up from anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guns were blasting today on Domino Chute, Middle Jester, and Lower Jester down to where it meets Lower Downspout/CR cutoff, plus potentially on part of Lower OG, as well as Easy Rider and First Time. Didn't see any guns going on Lower OG below Lower Jester (ie - the section from the germ chute, down to the top of Gondolier), but I'm sure that will be next, along with Lower SB and Racer's Edge. Rode the latter two today... not too shabby, and the waterbars are filling in quite nicely! Ripcord rode like a dream this am... upper OG was just as good (just not groomed). Natural Jester was fun as well.

Snow report says they're grooming out VHT->SB->Fling tonight. That should be really nice in the am. The traverse today wasn't too bad... I had fears of not making it across on my board, but cruised and sailed right through the whales without a problem. Skier's right side of SB was sooooo nice!
    Last edited by shadyjay; 12-13-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Well yesterday was epic. We skied more untracked yesterday then all last year put together. Soo much fun to ski with all my winter friends. This morning is 48 deg. and r%@#. They closed all the natural trails to preserve them. I think that is the smartest thing considering. Winds are ripping so I bet there will be lift closures but we will see. I kind of expected this big weather turn around. It is nearing Christmas after all.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well yesterday was epic. We skied more untracked yesterday then all last year put together. Soo much fun to ski with all my winter friends. This morning is 48 deg. and r%@#. They closed all the natural trails to preserve them. I think that is the smartest thing considering. Winds are ripping so I bet there will be lift closures but we will see. I kind of expected this big weather turn around. It is nearing Christmas after all.
    I agree with epic. Untracked deep runs in the woods and the place was empty! What a gift after last year. There should be a bullet proof base after tonight's run to below zero. Hopefully this is the January thaw

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    I agree with epic. Untracked deep runs in the woods and the place was empty! What a gift after last year. There should be a bullet proof base after tonight's run to below zero. Hopefully this is the January thaw
    I was amazed how empty it was when I was watching the views on the webcams. CR was the only lift with a line any time I looked. Too bad about the weather now screwing everything up...although we'll certainly have a solid base after tonight.

I can finally access this blog via our computer at SB so will try to be quicker with responses. The past few days were indeed epic. We actually had a terrific turnout yesterday for this time of year. We do not usually see these skier numbers until the Holidays. However, with 100% of the terrain open and 13 lifts running it did not seem crowded and in fact was not. That is the beauty of the terrain and lift system here. They really spread people out. And I did notice quite a few tracks down Slidebrook. The SB lift is being load tested on Wednesday so if the snowpack underneath held up we would look to have that by the weekend.

Yes, we did close the natural terrain to preserve as much as possible and with the cold later today they and the woods should set us a nice base for the rest of the season. Snowmaking resumes tonight on Hot Shot and Slowepoke and the Terrain park over at ME. That will max our water and get them in fast so we can move on to others. Fortunately all the trails where we finished making snow held up OK so we don't have to go backwards. Rivers are roaring and the pond will be full, so I expect with the combination of grooming, snowmaking and some natural snow we will have some good conditions by the weekend.
    Last edited by winjr; 12-18-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Typos

Easy Rider was hit hard by the rain so we switched production there tonight from Slowepoke. Really important to have this trail for the Holidays.

How'd the 3" of snow today ski and help out? That's a good bit of snow and no other area reported more than a dusting, so I was surprised to not hear more mention of it in the report. That should be a great resurfacing snowfall.

Or was it just drifted into the snow cam because it looks like there was 0" reported at the top of Bravo and the base area? Be interesting at the end of the season to see the Allyns Lodge snowfall total and the snow cam total. It seems like the top of Bravo gets 50% or less of the snowfall at the summit if you tally it up throughout the season. Like currently there's been 11" in the last 72 hours and 5" at the Allyns Lodge stake. Its been a consistent 50% or even less. Pretty crazy gradient on the upper 1,000 vertical feet.
    Last edited by Sugarbushskier9; 12-19-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    How'd the 3" of snow today ski and help out? That's a good bit of snow and no other area reported more than a dusting, so I was surprised to not hear more mention of it in the report. That should be a great resurfacing snowfall.

Or was it just drifted into the snow cam because it looks like there was 0" reported at the top of Bravo and the base area? Be interesting at the end of the season to see the Allyns Lodge snowfall total and the snow cam total. It seems like the top of Bravo gets 50% or less of the snowfall at the summit if you tally it up throughout the season. Like currently there's been 11" in the last 72 hours and 5" at the Allyns Lodge stake. Its been a consistent 50% or even less. Pretty crazy gradient on the upper 1,000 vertical feet.
    The snow discrepancy between the summit and Alyns is incredible. It's 1000' elevation difference and while there should be some significant difference, double seems suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    The snow discrepancy between the summit and Alyns is incredible. It's 1000' elevation difference and while there should be some significant difference, double seems suspicious.

I will let you know shortly when I go out. This year we have seen a lot more high elevation snowfall than the past. If you watch the radar you can see arrows of lake effect snow that gets very targeted at the peaks. So far we have been lucky with their aim.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    For me I always like to look at the mid-mtn numbers as 3" or 5" or whatever at the peak is great and all but when I see 0s and 1s at Alyns Lodge I know if I'm making laps on Bravo I won't actually get to enjoy the 5" of new snow touted on the snow report dialog or in the snow phone. Calling the snow phone to hear 7" of new snow (but 1" base and 3" at top of Bravo), I just know I'll have to ride Heavens Gate to actually enjoy it.

As I've stated I have the 30s pass to Stowe and Bush and have been mixing it up. Stowe's had about two feet less snowfall in their reports but I will say they have a hell of a lot more snow on the ground in the lower elevations. Up high it seems very similar but what Win is saying makes sense in some odd way as Stowe has a much better natural snow cover top to bottom...it didn't seem tied to just the peak, but the Bush has had some very localized summit Snowfall . But I've also seen on their Instagram posts it seems they measure snow around 3000 instead of 4000...which I think would be similar to the top of Bravo.