Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    I will let you know shortly when I go out. This year we have seen a lot more high elevation snowfall than the past. If you watch the radar you can see arrows of lake effect snow that gets very targeted at the peaks. So far we have been lucky with their aim.
    It is true, the actual peak has done quite well this season. Be interesting to see the yearly totals at the three locations but I really have been seeing 50% reductions as you come down Jester. So maybe 135" at the top of Heaves Gate is like 75" at the top of Bravo.

Hot Shot has been coming in really well. This is a very challenging trail to make snow on with 59 guns. The snowmakers did an excellent job and we are close to finished. We are moving over to Slowpoke and North Lynx as the base areas temperatures are going to be warmer the next few days. Getting North Lynx in before the Holidays will be a big benefit to spread people out. Over at ME we are close to finishing Reimergasse for the Park crew and going to Sugar Run and North Star tonight to make sure we have good beginner terrain for the Holidays. Afterwards maybe Cliffs or Which Way.

The 3" of snow was measured by 3:45pm Monday afternoon. But looking at the trails this morning it did settle into the higher trails and filled in some of the moguls. I think another 6" and we will be skiing those trails again. Wednesday night into Thursday morning will bring something. Hoping it is again more at the higher elevation that what the weather moguls are forecasting. The base is firm many icy patches so it is edgeable.

Thanks for the updates Win Jr. Will be up Thursday night though Monday (skiing Friday through Sunday) so watching the reports daily. Obviously, missed some great conditions but seems like won't be a total loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbushskier9 View Post
    For me I always like to look at the mid-mtn numbers as 3" or 5" or whatever at the peak is great and all but when I see 0s and 1s at Alyns Lodge I know if I'm making laps on Bravo I won't actually get to enjoy the 5" of new snow touted on the snow report dialog or in the snow phone. Calling the snow phone to hear 7" of new snow (but 1" base and 3" at top of Bravo), I just know I'll have to ride Heavens Gate to actually enjoy it.

As I've stated I have the 30s pass to Stowe and Bush and have been mixing it up. Stowe's had about two feet less snowfall in their reports but I will say they have a hell of a lot more snow on the ground in the lower elevations. Up high it seems very similar but what Win is saying makes sense in some odd way as Stowe has a much better natural snow cover top to bottom...it didn't seem tied to just the peak, but the Bush has had some very localized summit Snowfall . But I've also seen on their Instagram posts it seems they measure snow around 3000 instead of 4000...which I think would be similar to the top of Bravo.
    I heard the same thing from someone else about the snow at the base of Stowe.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I've stayed several times at Jay Peak and the Same thing. I've stayed at the mtn condos off of Village Chair. The mtn one day reported 8 new but where I was staying(on mtn) they didn't even have to plow the parking lot.
    I think it's great that Sugarbush reports Upper/Mid/base snow. I don't think any other resort in New England does that. Everyone only gives you the totals at the top.

Saw the work we did on Hot Shot Sunday night/Monday morning today, and all I can say is... WOW, we put down a lot of snow! Saw a few people heading down it today. It's not pushed out or groomed yet. Pushover Chute and Second Thoughts looked really good as well. It's amazing what a couple nights/days of cold temps can do! Guns were blasting on Slowpoke and Birch today. Birch will need some time for sure, but it'll be nice to have another "pod" available for the upcoming holiday week. Ventured down Easy Rider to the Village on my last run. There's still piles there as well, not nearly as massive as Hot Shot, and they were nice. I'd guess Hot Shot and Easy Rider will be groomed within a couple days. Gotta give it time to "leach out" before "pushing out".

Elsewhere, conditions are "fast and firm", but completely edgeable on the groomed surfaces. Didn't venture "off-groomers" today. There's definitely a good base out there, just needs some natural to fill it in.

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I've stayed several times at Jay Peak and the Same thing. I've stayed at the mtn condos off of Village Chair. The mtn one day reported 8 new but where I was staying(on mtn) they didn't even have to plow the parking lot.
    I think it's great that Sugarbush reports Upper/Mid/base snow. I don't think any other resort in New England does that. Everyone only gives you the totals at the top.
    Well Jay is pretty ridiculous. I've been there times when they definitely were getting more snow than everyone else, but they still reported higher than what it seemed. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

At least at Sugarbush you know where the number is coming from, even if it's the highest possible snowfall location you can find on the mountain. You can always check the mid and base numbers for comparison and to get a better idea.

I obviously watch the snow reports between Stowe and Bush and I will say Stowe is also good at giving the base snowfall. They make mention of it every time it snows in their written report. I do think Stowe and Sugarbush are two of the better reports in the area. Smuggs gives next to no information and I get the feeling Killington only reports summit snow.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    It's weird because both mountains seem similar in snow up high but not aon the lower trails. This is my first year even paying attention to what goes on at Stowe so I have no idea if it's a fluke or if that's how the mountain generally is.

Anyway I'm heading back to the Bush for a few runs tomorrow.got business in Waitsfield. Being an insurance auditor isn't exciting except when I get to take a few runs between appointments. Hoping this clipper storm brings some snow.
    Last edited by Sugarbushskier9; 12-21-2016 at 03:55 PM.

It really is amazing what a difference it is this week compared to last week. Last week I was skiing more ungroomed and natural trails than groomers. This week I'm skiing groomers pretty much exclusively. The bottom third of the mountain definitely lost some significant depth. Above that still had decent depth but it is quite solid. A good base for sure once we get some more snow. The snowmaking trails seem to have held up well in terms of depth. They seem to ski better after every grooming cycle. Tomorrow will probably be my last day until the weekend after New Years. Hoping for a bit of snow tonight and tomorrow. This week really made me realize how spoiled we were earlier in December! Sure was amazing while it lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's weird because both mountains seem similar in snow up high but not aon the lower trails. This is my first year even paying attention to what goes on at Stowe so I have no idea if it's a fluke or if that's how the mountain generally is.

Anyway I'm heading back to the Bush for a few runs tomorrow.got business in Waitsfield. Being an insurance auditor isn't exciting except when I get to take a few runs between appointments. Hoping this clipper storm brings some snow.
    I noticed skiing SB this (3 weekends).year, that the snow really pilled up from the base of Spillsville going up which is at 3,000 feet. Spillsville was almost skiable thanksgiving weekend. So I don't think the big snow numbers were only confined to the top.

Today's snow is drastically improving conditions. The all natural Murphys has been so much fun. Snow has been steadily falling all day at all elevations, but the top of hg legitimately had about twice what the top of bravo had first thing this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an Autumn we had.

Hope we get the goods again soon! Or should I say woods

It is true, the actual peak has done quite well this season. Be interesting to see the yearly totals at the three locations but I really have been seeing 50% reductions as you come down Jester. So maybe 135" at the top of Heaves Gate is like 75" at the top of Bravo.
    Last year the snow report e-mails that went out daily gave all 3 totals...would be awesome if they start doing that again.

Here were the end of season totals last year:
    SEASON TOTAL: 156" Summit 134" Mid-Mtn 69" Base

And here were the totals as of 12/24 last year:
    SEASON TOTAL: 16" Summit, 13" Mid-Mtn, 6" Base

It is crazy to think that we've almost had as much snow this year at the summit up to this point as we had at the summit the entire season last year.

Yes. We will start to post the three elevations again. It has been about 50% mid to summit this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Hope Santa brings us a ton of snow!

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Yes. We will start to post the three elevations again. It has been about 50% mid to summit this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Hope Santa brings us a ton of snow!
    In case you were doubting the snowcam investment, the reported summit totals are killing everyone else in the east, jay and Stowe included.