Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

Quote Originally Posted by The Poacher View Post
    I would say you should be thrilled whether it's 6-7 or 9". I'm in a hospital in West Chester, PA right now with my new baby daughter, Evie, who arrived 6am this morning. As such, this will be the first year my family hasn't spent the week between xmas and new years at Sugarbush in over a decade. At least I got skimrv back so I can live vicariously thru you all. Enjoy the pow
    At least that is a good reason to not be going up! Congrats on your daughter!

Snowed all day and is still snowing now. Hope it continues overnight.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

We had been cleaning the.stake in the morning and before our 1pm snowplan meeting. Overnight Friday we got 6" and then another 6" by 1pm.
    We have decided to do it differently going forward and started yesterday afternooon. We will clean the stake once a day at 3:45pm. That way one can see what got overnight and cumulatively through the day.

How many times a day to clear the snow stake. Now that is a good problem to have😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    We had been cleaning the.stake in the morning and before our 1pm snowplan meeting. Overnight Friday we got 6" and then another 6" by 1pm.
    We have decided to do it differently going forward and started yesterday afternooon. We will clean the stake once a day at 3:45pm. That way one can see what got overnight and cumulatively through the day.
    Great job on the snow cam, but the board should sit on top of the existing snowpack, not in hole. Otherwise, the snow is just going to fill in from the sides from the wind whether it is actually snowing or not. There was some evidence of that this weekend.

What very cool is watching the 1 week time lapse. Too bad it does not go further out than 1 week.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Great job on the snow cam, but the board should sit on top of the existing snowpack, not in hole. Otherwise, the snow is just going to fill in from the sides from the wind whether it is actually snowing or not. There was some evidence of that this weekend.
    Howie, what is this I am hearing that you did not get a place this year????? WTF
    If true you guys can come up and stay with us for a weekend or two if you want. Let me know.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Howie, what is this I am hearing that you did not get a place this year????? WTF
    If true you guys can come up and stay with us for a weekend or two if you want. Let me know.
    it's true. first time in a decade. daughter has SAT work every weekend and after last season I didnt want to spend the money. Appreciate the offer and may take you up on it.

I will miss your posts, Howie. Hope you can get up at least a few times.

Any word about possible expansion latter this week for the Valley House side. The pictures that I see from SB looks great. but if they go into this weekend with only two lifts running it could be a shit show with the amount of skiers they may.

Seems inevitable that they will open the Valley House trails with just natural snow but i am not sure that would mean running the lift.

If we can get SB->Fling locked in with snowmaking, I would guess that VHQ would spin for the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if patrol dropped the ropes on Twist, Moonshine, and Lower SB->Racer's. But the weekend is still a few days out. SB->Fling is a lot of real estate to cover, but with cold temps coming in for the weekend, it very well may come together quickly and nicely. Also, we're ready to make snow on Pushover off Gate House to expand beginner terrain, but that will take some time to get ready. Don't want to open that au'natural, being a beginner route and such. Once we make snow on it, it'll probably be left to cure for a time before its groomed. A lot of variables between now and then... but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    I will miss your posts, Howie. Hope you can get up at least a few times.
    Oh I'll be up more than a few times, just not every weekend and holiday as in the past. Another reason is that my daughter doesnt get off of school for presidents week, and I couldnt resist booking a cat ski trip in BC for myself that week, what with the exchange rate being so favorable.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    If we can get SB->Fling locked in with snowmaking, I would guess that VHQ would spin for the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if patrol dropped the ropes on Twist, Moonshine, and Lower SB->Racer's. But the weekend is still a few days out. SB->Fling is a lot of real estate to cover, but with cold temps coming in for the weekend, it very well may come together quickly and nicely. Also, we're ready to make snow on Pushover off Gate House to expand beginner terrain, but that will take some time to get ready. Don't want to open that au'natural, being a beginner route and such. Once we make snow on it, it'll probably be left to cure for a time before its groomed. A lot of variables between now and then... but so far so good.

I hope they can blow enough snow to open spring fling/snowball side this weekend. Skiing under the guns this weekend with the temperatures forecasted, it will be like skiing gunpowder.

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I hope they can blow enough snow to open spring fling/snowball side this weekend. Skiing under the guns this weekend with the temperatures forecasted, it will be like skiing gunpowder.
    That is the goal. Yesterday was warm but guns were moved down to Snowball and Spring Fling by evening.